Comey Is Fired by Trump

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Comey Is Fired by Trump

Post by lennygoran » Tue May 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Amazing, now Comey has a right to feel nauseated. Regards, Len :(

F.B.I. Director James Comey Is Fired by Trump

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR and MATT APUZZO MAY 9, 2017

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Tuesday fired the director of the F.B.I., James B. Comey, abruptly terminating the leader of a wide-ranging criminal investigation into whether Mr. Trump’s advisers colluded with the Russian government to steer the outcome of the 2016 presidential election.

The stunning development in Mr. Trump’s nascent presidency drew comparisons to President Richard M. Nixon’s infamous “Saturday Night Massacre,” in which Nixon purged the Justice Department in the middle of the Watergate investigation. Mr. Trump’s move immediately ignited Democratic calls for an independent prosecutor to lead the Russia probe.

Mr. Trump explained the firing by citing Mr. Comey’s controversial handling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server, even though the president was widely seen to have benefited from that inquiry. Mr. Trump had also once praised Mr. Comey for being “gutsy” in pursuit of Mrs. Clinton during the campaign.

“While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the bureau,” Mr. Trump said in a letter to Mr. Comey dated Tuesday.

Mr. Comey, who is three years into a 10-year term at the helm of the F.B.I., learned from news reports that he had been fired while addressing bureau employees in Los Angeles. While Mr. Comey spoke, television screens in the background began flashing the news. Shortly after, a letter was delivered to F.B.I. Headquarters in Washington.

The abrupt firing raised questions over whether Mr. Trump was trying to influence the Russia investigation. But the president said he was following recommendations from the Justice Department, which criticized how Mr. Comey concluded the investigation into Mrs. Clinton.

“It is essential that we find new leadership for the F.B.I. that restores public trust and confidence in its vital law enforcement mission,” Mr. Trump wrote.

Mr. Comey’s firing came hours after the F.B.I. corrected his testimony last week about how classified information ended up on the laptop of the disgraced former congressman Anthony D. Weiner.
Mr. Comey had told the Senate Judiciary Committee that during the F.B.I.’s investigation into Mrs. Clinton’s use of a private email server while secretary of state, officers uncovered evidence that her aide, Huma Abedin, had “forwarded hundreds and thousands of emails, some of which contain classified information” to Mr. Weiner, her husband.

But the F.B.I. told Congress that only a few of the emails had been forwarded and that the vast majority were simply backed up to Mr. Weiner’s laptop.

Mr. Comey broke with longstanding tradition and policies by publicly discussing the Clinton case last July and chastising her “careless” handling of classified information. Then, in the campaign’s final days, Mr. Comey announced that the F.B.I. was reopening the investigation, a move that earned him widespread criticism.

Yet many of the facts cited as evidence for Mr. Comey’s dismissal were well known when Mr. Trump kept him on the job. And both Mr. Trump and his attorney general, Jeff Sessions, had praised Mr. Comey back then as “gutsy.”

The president has the authority to fire the F.B.I. director for any reason. Officials at the F.B.I. said they learned through news reports of Mr. Comey’s dismissal, which Mr. Trump described as effective immediately.

Under the F.B.I.’s normal rules of succession, Mr. Comey’s deputy, Andrew G. McCabe, a career F.B.I. officer, becomes acting director. The White House said the search for a new director will begin immediately.

The firing puts Democrats in a difficult position. Many had hoped that Mrs. Clinton would fire Mr. Comey soon after taking office, and blamed him as costing her the election. But under Mr. Trump, the outspoken and independent-minded Mr. Comey was seen as an important check on the new administration.

“Any attempt to stop or undermine this F.B.I. investigation would raise grave constitutional issues,” said Senator Richard J. Durbin, Democrat of Illinois. “We await clarification by the White House as soon as possible as to whether this investigation will continue and whether it will have a credible lead so that we know that it’ll have a just outcome.”
Comey Tried to Shield the F.B.I. From Politics. Then He Shaped an Election.
As the F.B.I. investigated Hillary Clinton and the Trump campaign, James B. Comey tried to keep the bureau out of politics but plunged it into the center of a bitter election.

Senator Roy Blunt, Republican of Missouri, praised Mr. Comey’s service but said new leadership at the F.B.I. “will restore confidence in the organization.”

“Many, including myself, have questioned his actions more than once over the last year,” Mr. Blunt, who sits on the Senate Intelligence Committee, said in a statement.

Mr. Trump’s decision to fire Mr. Comey marks the second time since taking office that the president has fired a top law enforcement official. In early February, Mr. Trump fired Sally Q. Yates, who had worked in the Obama administration but was serving as acting attorney general.

But the president’s firing of Mr. Comey was far more consequential. Ms. Yates was a holdover, and would only have served in the Trump administration for a matter of days or weeks. By contrast, Mr. Comey was in the midst of his term as director of the bureau.

The White House said Mr. Sessions and the deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, pushed for Mr. Comey’s dismissal.

“I cannot defend the director’s handling of the conclusion of the investigation of Secretary Clinton’s emails,” Mr. Rosenstein wrote in another letter that was released by the White House, “and I do not understand his refusal to accept the nearly universal judgment that he was mistaken.”

A longtime prosecutor who served as the deputy attorney general during the George W. Bush administration, Mr. Comey came into office in 2013 with widespread bipartisan support. He has essentially been in a public feud with Mr. Trump since long before the presidential election.

In a Twitter message this week, Mr. Trump accused Mr. Comey of being “the best thing that ever happened to Hillary Clinton,” accusing him of giving her “a free pass for many bad deeds.”

Senator Ron Wyden, Democrat of Oregon and a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said in a post on Twitter that Mr. Comey “should be immediately called to testify in an open hearing about the status of Russia/Trump investigation at the time he was fired.”

Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, offered a veiled hint of the bombshell earlier in the day on Tuesday, though no reporters picked up on it.

During his daily briefing, Mr. Spicer was asked — as he frequently is — whether Mr. Comey still has the confidence of the president. Instead of saying yes, Mr. Spicer danced around the question.

“I have no reason to believe — I haven’t asked him,” Mr. Spicer said. “I have not asked the president since the last time we spoke about this.”

A reporter noted that Mr. Spicer had previously indicated that the president did have confidence in Mr. Comey, but asked whether recent revelations about Mr. Comey’s misstatement during testimony on Capitol Hill would change that.

“In light of what you’re telling me, I don’t want to start speaking on behalf of the president without speaking to him first,” Mr. Spicer said.

The president’s decision to fire Mr. Comey appeared to be the culmination of the bad will between the men that intensified in early March, when the president posted Twitter messages accusing former President Barack Obama of wiretapping his office.

The next morning, word spread quickly that Mr. Comey wanted the Justice Department to issue a statement saying that he had no evidence to support the president’s accusation. The department did not issue such a statement.

For weeks after, Mr. Trump insisted that his accusation was correct. In dramatic testimony later in March, Mr. Comey said that he had no information to back up the president’s allegations.

That set up a remarkable dynamic — an F.B.I. director directly contradicting a sitting president at the same time that the bureau was pursuing a possible criminal investigation into the president’s aides.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/us/p ... -news&_r=0

John F

Re: Comey Is Fired by Trump

Post by John F » Wed May 10, 2017 5:43 am

Long overdue. Comey's bull-in-a-china-shop handling of politically charged investigations unquestionably harmed Hillary Clinton and therefore helped Donald Trump in last year's election. My only complaint is that Trump is sure to appoint somebody even worse.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed May 10, 2017 6:13 am

John F wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 5:43 am
Long overdue. Comey's bull-in-a-china-shop handling of politically charged investigations unquestionably harmed Hillary Clinton and therefore helped Donald Trump in last year's election. My only complaint is that Trump is sure to appoint somebody even worse.
I see it differently than you-the timing was just horrid and looks to me like Trump is attempting to shut down or hamper the investigation-I sense there's a giant cover up at play here. Trump just loved it when Comey said he was reopening the Hillary investigation just days before the election. Regards, Len

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Wed May 10, 2017 6:36 am

lennygoran wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 6:13 am
John F wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 5:43 am
I see it differently than you-the timing was just horrid and looks to me like Trump is attempting to shut down or hamper the investigation-I sense there's a giant cover up at play here. Trump just loved it when Comey said he was reopening the Hillary investigation just days before the election. Regards, Len
I agree with Len. Timing is everything. The firing of Comey at this time is a clear signal that Trump wants to shut down the Russia investigation.

John F

Post by John F » Wed May 10, 2017 6:43 am

Just because Trump did it, for whatever reason and whatever the timing, doesn't make it the wrong thing to do. Comey hasn't personally been conducting this investigation, it's the FBI's career officers and operatives, and they will continue with the same methods and diligence unless the new FBI chief or his superiors order them to stop. If he/she/they do that, we'll have substantial grounds for complaint. Right now I think we don't.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 10, 2017 7:20 am

John F wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 6:43 am

Just because Trump did it, for whatever reason and whatever the timing, doesn't make it the wrong thing to do. Comey hasn't personally been conducting this investigation, it's the FBI's career officers and operatives, and they will continue with the same methods and diligence unless the new FBI chief or his superiors order them to stop. If he/she/they do that, we'll have substantial grounds for complaint. Right now I think we don't.
Trump and his cronies played anti-Comey Dems for chumps, fully expecting them to swallow any political line that rid the country of Comey. They badly miscalculated, then were blindsided by the firestorm that erupted.
Last edited by jserraglio on Thu May 11, 2017 4:29 am, edited 5 times in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed May 10, 2017 7:38 am

John F wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 6:43 am
I'm much more skeptical than you-the timing definitely is wrong and the excuse that it's how Comey handled the Hillary investigation that is behind all this firing is unbelievable imo. As for the operatives and career officers being allowed to continue to work in a diligent manner I definitely am fretting about this--we should learn pretty soon whom known liar Trump nominates for FBI director. Regards, Len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 10, 2017 7:47 am

Comey may have been fired because Trump resents the fact that Comey towers over him in physical as well as moral stature (the moral bar being set pretty low in this case).
Last edited by jserraglio on Wed May 10, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed May 10, 2017 8:05 am

jserraglio wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:47 am
Comey may have been fired because Trump resents the fact that Comey towers over him in physical as well as moral stature.
I thought Trump's game was golf-not basketball! Now I'm thinking Comey vs. Obama on the court! Then again Trump could enlist Dennis Rodman to take Comey on in a one-on-one! Regards, Len :lol:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 10, 2017 8:12 am

Latest Tweet: Trump expects most everybody will thank him for getting rid of Comey after everything settles down. His WH political operation has been a map of self-delusion.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed May 10, 2017 8:21 am

jserraglio wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:12 am
Latest Tweet: Trump expects most everybody will thank him for getting rid of Comey after everything settles down. His WH political operation has been a map of self-delusion.
Well is it self delusion or downright lying? And which in your opinion would be worse for the country? Regards, Len :(

As for his lies here's one journalist's reminder to us all!

The Opinion Pages|Donald Trump Is Lying Again, Now About James Comey

David Leonhardt MAY 9, 2017

The president of the United States is lying again.

He is lying about the reason he fired James Comey, the F.B.I. director. Trump claimed that he was doing so because Comey bungled the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s email, which meant that Comey was “not able to effectively lead the bureau.”

There is no reason to believe Trump’s version of the facts and many reasons to believe he is lying. How can I be so confident?

First, it’s important to remember just how often Trump lies. Virtually whenever he finds it more convenient to tell a falsehood than to tell a truth, he chooses the falsehood.

An incomplete list of the things he has lied about include: Barack Obama’s birthplace, Obama’s phone “tapp,” John F. Kennedy’s assassination, Sept. 11, the Iraq war, ISIS, NATO, military veterans, Mexican immigrants, Muslim immigrants, anti-Semitic attacks, the unemployment rate, the murder rate, the Electoral College, voter fraud, the size of his inaugural crowd, his health care bill and his own groping of women.

Second, Trump previously praised Comey for reopening the Clinton email investigation, which was the core of Trump’s rationale for the firing, as Igor Volsky noted.

Third, Trump claimed that he was merely following up on a Justice Department recommendation and released a letter from the department to bolster his case. Yet the timing doesn’t make sense — and Trump aides have already undercut their boss, by acknowledging that he wanted to fire Comey.

As Bill Kristol pointed out, the Justice Department letter was dated the same day as the firing, and the official who wrote it has been on the job for just two weeks — not enough time for a serious review that could have reversed Trump’s previous position.

“So there was no real recommendation from DOJ,” Kristol wrote. “Trump wanted to do it, and they created a paper trail.” Kristol, a conservative, added, “One can be at once a critic of Comey and alarmed by what Trump has done and how he has done it.”

Even more damning, White House sources also admitted on Tuesday night that Trump himself initiated the firing. The White House charged Jeff Sessions, the attorney general, with coming up with a reason to fire Comey, as The Times and others have reported.

Finally, and most obviously, Trump had a very big motive to fire Comey and install a loyalist. Comey was overseeing the investigation into the Trump campaign’s numerous strange ties with the Russian government.

“The firing of James Comey as F.B.I. director is a stunning event,” Benjamin Wittes and Susan Hennessey, two of the sharpest observers of the Russia case, wrote for Lawfare. “It is a profoundly dangerous thing — a move that puts the Trump-Russia investigation in immediate jeopardy and removes from the investigative hierarchy the one senior official whom President Trump did not appoint and one who is known to stand up to power.”

The president is lying about firing a top law enforcement official, and he is almost certainly lying to protect himself and his aides from a full investigation into their own activities.

Brian Schatz, a Democratic senator from Hawaii, wrote on Tuesday night, “We are in a full-fledged constitutional crisis.”

It’s now clear that Trump’s Justice Department has no independence. Both Sessions, and Sessions’s deputy, Rod Rosenstein, are acting like Trump enforcers. And now the F.B.I. is compromised as well.

The only way to unwind the constitutional crisis is an independent inquiry, completely free of Trump’s oversight. Several Republican members of Congress expressed concern about Comey’s firing, but words aren’t enough.

Members of Congress need to give Americans reason to believe the Russia investigation isn’t a charade with a predetermined outcome. They need to make clear that while the president may think he is above the truth, he is not above the law.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/opin ... eft-region

arepo

Post by arepo » Wed May 10, 2017 11:12 am

Are you surprised at this bit of news?? :wink: :wink:
​Comey sought more money for Russia probe days before he was fired, officials say

The inside track on Washington politics.

cliftwood
By Ashley Parker By Ashley Parker
Post Politics
May 10 at 11:55 AM

In this Wednesday, May 3, 2017, photo then-FBI Director James Comey pauses as he testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington, before a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)
Last week, shortly before he was fired, former FBI Director James Comey requested more money and resources from the Justice Department for his bureau’s investigation into collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian government, according to two officials with knowledge of the discussion.
Comey made the request in a meeting last week with Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general, and Senate Intelligence Committee members were briefed on the request on Monday.
Rosenstein wrote the memo that was used to justify Trump’s swift and unexpected firing of Comey Tuesday evening.
The news was first reported by the New York Times.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 10, 2017 8:36 pm

How and why Trump fired Comey. This Wash Post story, constructed from dozens of sources, fills in the background and calls into question the official White House version of events. Funny thing is how Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein's stellar reputation has been tainted in less than two weeks merely by accommodating himself to His Satanic Majesty's Request. The Post reported that he threatened to quit over The White House spinmeisters' attempts to encase him in the dark folds of their conspiracy to oust Comey.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 552bd9bfc9
Every time FBI Director James B. Comey appeared in public, an ever-watchful President Trump grew increasingly agitated that the topic was the one that he was most desperate to avoid: Russia.

Trump had long questioned Comey’s loyalty and judgment, and was infuriated by what he viewed as the director’s lack of action in recent weeks on leaks from within the federal government. By last weekend, he had made up his mind: Comey had to go.
One intelligence official who works on Russian espionage matters said they were more determined than ever to pursue such cases. Another said Comey’s firing and the subsequent comments from the White House are attacks that won’t soon be forgotten. Trump had “essentially declared war on a lot of people at the FBI,” one official said. “I think there will be a concerted effort to respond over time in kind.”
Last edited by jserraglio on Thu May 11, 2017 6:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu May 11, 2017 6:08 am

jserraglio wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 8:36 pm
Another said Comey’s firing and the subsequent comments from the White House are attacks that won’t soon be forgotten. Trump had “essentially declared war on a lot of people at the FBI,” one official said. “I think there will be a concerted effort to respond over time in kind.”
[/quote]

Where's Deep Throat when we need him! Regards, Len :x

In Firing Comey, Did Trump Unleash the Next Deep Throat?

By BEVERLY GAGEMAY 10, 2017

Once again, Donald Trump has done something that no president before him dared to do. This time, he has fired an F.B.I. director engaged in an active and continuing investigation of his own campaign. The decision reflects President Trump’s most autocratic instincts, showcasing his contempt for the independence of federal investigators as well as for the basic search for truth.

Given his frequent calls to prosecute Hillary Clinton for using a private email server, the anger he directed at the F.B.I. director, James Comey, for giving her a “free pass,” and reports that he directed Attorney General Jeff Sessions to find a reason to fire Mr. Comey, it’s hard to believe the president’s claim that he made his decision out of concern for Mr. Comey’s harsh treatment of Mrs. Clinton during the campaign.

But if Mr. Trump actually hopes to shut down or limit the F.B.I. investigation into his campaign’s ties to Russia, he may well be disappointed. History suggests that his decision is likely to backfire, producing new leaks and heightened inquiries that will be more difficult to control than he imagines.

President Trump may think he has sent a stern warning to leakers and independent bureaucrats unwilling to toe the White House line. Instead, he may well have incited an internal rebellion.

That’s what happened in 1972, when President Richard Nixon suddenly found himself in a position to replace J. Edgar Hoover, the long-serving and infamous F.B.I. director. Suspicious of the F.B.I.’s independence, Nixon tried to appoint a successor who would bring the bureau under White House influence. To his surprise, he set in motion the events that led to the Watergate scandal — and ultimately to his own resignation.

Nixon did not fire Hoover. Indeed, no president had the chutzpah to fire Hoover, who took office in 1924 under Calvin Coolidge and went on to serve seven other presidents — four Democrats and three more Republicans. According to popular myth, Hoover achieved this astonishingly long tenure by blackmailing politicians with tidbits from his secret files. In truth, though he was hardly above arm-twisting and gossip-mongering, much of his power came from more mundane sources, including his skill at promoting the F.B.I.’s nonpartisan image.

Nixon knew Hoover’s political talents well. He had been working with Hoover since 1948, when the two men collaborated to expose the alleged Communist spy Alger Hiss. Over the years, they had become fast friends and allies, swapping secrets, spending time outside Washington together and exchanging holiday presents. Hoover quietly supported Nixon during the 1968 campaign; one of Hoover’s former deputies, Louis Nichols, served as chief of Nixon campaign security. When Nixon won the election, he vowed to keep Hoover on, despite the fact that the F.B.I. director was well over the mandatory retirement age of 70.

Once in office, however, Nixon discovered that Hoover was not nearly as pliable as he might have hoped. In 1970, when Nixon sought a more aggressive surveillance campaign against antiwar protesters, Hoover put up resistance, arguing that the program was illegal and likely to result in public backlash.

The following year, Hoover and Nixon came into conflict over the investigation of the Pentagon Papers leaker Daniel Ellsberg. Nixon discussed the possibility of firing Hoover, convinced that the director was too old and cautious — and too independent of White House influence. But Nixon worried that Hoover knew too much, and he recognized the political dangers inherent in firing an F.B.I. director.

Then Hoover died, of a heart attack, on May 2, 1972. The event made front-page news, and all three television networks carried Hoover’s funeral live. For Nixon, it appeared to be a moment of serendipity — a chance to do what he had long wanted to do. Instead, it turned out to be the beginning of a long national nightmare.

Nixon made his first mistake almost immediately. Faced with the solemn duty of replacing Hoover, he chose L. Patrick Gray, an assistant attorney general and former Navy man with no F.B.I. experience, to serve as acting director. The Nixon adviser John Ehrlichman articulated the reasons behind the decision in a “talking points” memo for the president soon after Hoover’s death. “Gray’s primary assignment is to consolidate control of the F.B.I.,” Ehrlichman wrote, “making such changes as are necessary to assure its complete loyalty to the administration.” Critics did not need access to such documents to label Gray a White House stooge, put in place to undermine the F.B.I.’s vaunted independence.

The F.B.I.’s Watergate investigation was not yet underway. But Nixon already believed that control of the F.B.I. would be critical for his political future. He hoped especially that a newly cooperative bureau would help to dam the fast-flowing stream of leaks from the executive branch. Instead, he inspired one of the great leakers of all time: the F.B.I. associate director W. Mark Felt.

As the historian Max Holland has shown, Felt hoped to become director himself and took Nixon’s decision as a personal affront. Like many career F.B.I. men, Felt also believed in the value of bureau autonomy and resented the president’s attempt to manipulate an independent bureaucracy. In June 1972, when Washington police arrested five men connected to the Nixon campaign during a break-in at Democratic National Committee headquarters in the Watergate office complex, Felt recognized an opportunity. As the journalist Bob Woodward admitted more than a decade ago, Felt turned on Nixon in the summer of 1972, feeding information to The Washington Post as the legendary informer Deep Throat.

Felt’s leaks served in part to counter intense pressure from the White House, which sought to end the F.B.I. investigation. As early as June 23, 1972, Nixon conspired with Chief of Staff H. R. Haldeman to close the F.B.I.’s inquiry — a recorded conversation later known as the “smoking gun tape,” which forced Nixon’s resignation. The F.B.I. proceeded nonetheless, painstakingly digging into Nixon’s campaign and its ties to the Watergate burglars. Felt leaked some of those discoveries to the press, keeping the story alive at a moment when Republicans hoped it would simply disappear.

Nixon won re-election in a landslide later that year. Still, the F.B.I. problem refused to go away. In 1973, Nixon nominated Gray to be permanent F.B.I. director, but the confirmation hearings turned into a debacle, fueling rather than calming suspicions of a Watergate cover-up. Gray resigned in disgrace that April, after it was revealed that he’d destroyed Watergate-related files, and was temporarily replaced by yet another acting director. Over the next several months, things got steadily worse for Nixon, as congressional investigations gained momentum and a newly appointed independent prosecutor, Archibald Cox, demanded the release of White House tapes. In October 1973, Nixon had Cox fired in an attempt to shut down that investigation — but this, too, failed to stop the rolling disaster of Watergate.

Many commentators have pointed to Cox’s dismissal as the closest precedent for Mr. Comey’s firing: the last time a president tried to use his executive power to stop an investigation — and failed to get what he wanted. The story of the F.B.I.’s succession crisis raises still more troubling prospects for Mr. Trump in the months ahead. Despite having political skills far superior to President Trump’s, Nixon never managed to “consolidate control of the F.B.I.” in 1972, at the peak of his popularity. To the contrary, his attempts to do so fatally undermined his presidency, setting in motion a political and bureaucratic backlash from which Nixon — indeed, the presidency itself — never fully recovered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/opin ... eft-region

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu May 11, 2017 6:15 am

Deputy AG Rosenstein reportedly threatened to quit over depiction of his role in Comey dismissal
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein threatened to quit over the depiction of his role in President Donald Trump's firing of James Comey, The Washington Post reported late Wednesday, citing a person close to the White House.

Trump said Comey was terminated because of his handling of the FBI's investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails. The White House has insisted that Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions initiated the conversation about Comey and that the president simply accepted their recommendation for his removal.

But the Post reported that Rosenstein made his resignation threat after White House press officials repeated that narrative, painting him as the key influence that led to Comey's dismissal.

John F

Post by John F » Thu May 11, 2017 6:51 am

As I said, and as this story indicates, replacing the man at the top of the FBI will not “consolidate control of the F.B.I.”, whose career officers and staff will undoubtedly pursue their current investigations as before, if anything more intensively. These people's institutional and personal pride and integrity are at stake, and they owe no loyalty to Trump and his "government."
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu May 11, 2017 8:04 am

Hopefully, the FBI pros can administer Trump his death by a thousand leeches if the new FBI director tries to squash their investigation into the Russia matter. Trump has already lawyered up a big Washington firm for the battle royal that lies ahead.

I believe that Eagle-Scout Comey is a mere sacrificial pawn in Trump's game (reportedly, Trump was contemptuous of his "sanctimony"). Trump doesn't have to "nixon" the investigation, just stir the pot long enough for subsequent events (some of which he will surely manufacture) to intervene. He is a master of misdirection as well as the Lord of Misrule.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu May 11, 2017 8:48 am

jserraglio wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 8:04 am
Hopefully, the FBI pros can administer Trump his death by a thousand leeches if the new FBI director tries to squash their investigation into the Russia matter.
Yeah this is what concerns me most-a squashing. Regards, Len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu May 11, 2017 3:44 pm

Len, if you are worried about "squashing", that's cause for concern. I recall you being worried about Trump winning the election and look what happened. Cassandra clairvoyance.

Look for Comey to be speaking out now that Trump in his Lester Holt interview has raised the possibility of OOJ in three separate conversations with Comey.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu May 11, 2017 7:34 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 3:44 pm
Look for Comey to be speaking out now that Trump in his Lester Holt interview has raised the possibility of OOJ in three separate conversations with Comey.
Thanks, definitely interested in this-3 times Comey allegedly said to Trump he's not being investigated-this is very hard to believe-especially with Trump's record for lying. Regards, Len

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Thu May 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Now I know why we have a Fifth Amendment. Trump incriminated himself big league in the NBC Lester Holt interview. Obstruction of justice. He may be gone, one way or another, even sooner than I had expected, maybe even by the end of the year.

Trump Demanded Loyalty. Comey Demurred.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/us/p ... iring.html

WASHINGTON — Only seven days after Donald J. Trump was sworn in as president, James B. Comey has told associates, the F.B.I. director was summoned to the White House for a one-on-one dinner with the new commander in chief.

The conversation that night in January, Mr. Comey now believes, was a harbinger of his downfall this week as head of the F.B.I., according to two people who have heard his account of the dinner.

As they ate, the president and Mr. Comey made small talk about the election and the crowd sizes at Mr. Trump’s rallies. The president then turned the conversation to whether Mr. Comey would pledge his loyalty to him.

Mr. Comey declined to make that pledge. Instead, Mr. Comey has recounted to others, he told Mr. Trump that he would always be honest with him, but that he was not “reliable” in the conventional political sense.

The White House on Wednesday said this account is not correct. And Mr. Trump, in an interview on Thursday with NBC, described a far different dinner conversation with Mr. Comey in which the director asked to have the meeting and the question of loyalty never came up. It was not clear whether he was talking about the same meal, but they are believed to have had only one dinner together.

By Mr. Comey’s account, his answer to Mr. Trump’s initial question apparently did not satisfy the president, the associates said. Later in the dinner, Mr. Trump again said to Mr. Comey that he needed his loyalty.

Mr. Comey again replied that he would give him “honesty” and did not pledge his loyalty, according to the account of the conversation.

But Mr. Trump pressed him on whether it would be “honest loyalty.”

“You will have that,” Mr. Comey told his associates that he responded.

Throughout his career, Mr. Trump has made loyalty from the people who worked for him a key priority, often discharging employees he considered insufficiently reliable.

As described by the two people, the dinner offers a window into Mr. Trump’s approach to the presidency, through Mr. Comey’s eyes. A businessman and reality television star who never served in public office, Mr. Trump may not have understood that by tradition, F.B.I. directors are not supposed to be political loyalists, which is why Congress in the 1970s passed a law giving them 10-year terms to make them independent of the president.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri May 12, 2017 5:13 am

jserraglio wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 8:03 pm
Now I know why we have a Fifth Amendment. Trump incriminated himself big league in the NBC Lester Holt interview. Obstruction of justice. He may be gone, one way or another, even sooner than I had expected, maybe even by the end of the year.
Thanks for posting this-I just read it at the NY Times and was about to post it myself. Yeah like I'm gonna believe lying Trump over Comey! Regards, Len :x

PS-if only Comey had been wearing a wire for that dinner.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri May 12, 2017 5:50 am

Sad to say, the Republic has now completed a circle of sorts, fame to shame: From George ("I cannot tell a lie") Washington to Donald Trump ("master of deceit, father of lies").

He might be out of our hair within a year. Maybe his wife and kids will prevail upon him to do the right thing and resign before he disgraces himself any further. Failing that, Ryan and McConnell need to grow a pair and demand his resignation.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri May 12, 2017 7:14 am

jserraglio wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 5:50 am
Failing that, Ryan and McConnell need to grow a pair and demand his resignation.
I just don't see that happening-I'm hoping people like McCain and Graham might do something but the 2 you mention are just lost causes afaiac. Regards, Len :(

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri May 12, 2017 7:55 am

It can be done because it must be done. The 25th Amendment should be invoked if he refuses to resign.

Trump needs to go.

P.S. He needs to go now.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri May 12, 2017 4:30 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 7:55 am
It can be done because it must be done. The 25th Amendment should be invoked if he refuses to resign.

Trump needs to go.

P.S. He needs to go now.
I was out in the garden most of the day but I see Trump may have gotten into more trouble today-I just quote a few sections-the whole article's link is below. Regards, Len

Trump Warning to Comey Prompts Questions on ‘Tapes’

By PETER BAKER and MICHAEL D. SHEAR MAY 12, 2017

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Friday warned James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director he fired this week, against leaking anything negative about him, saying that Mr. Comey “better hope” that there are no secret tapes of their conversations that the president could use in retaliation.

The suggestion that the president may be surreptitiously recording his meetings or telephone calls added a sensational new twist at the end of a week that roiled Washington. Mr. Trump and his White House aides later refused to say whether the president tapes his visitors, something Mr. Trump was suspected of doing when he was in business in New York.

“James Comey better hope that there are no ‘tapes’ of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter...

Democrats expressed shock. “For a president who baselessly accused his predecessor of illegally wiretapping him, that Mr. Trump would suggest that he, himself, may have engaged in such conduct is staggering,” said Representative Adam B. Schiff of California, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee. “The president should immediately provide any such recordings to Congress or admit, once again, to have made a deliberately misleading — and in this case threatening — statement.”

Representatives John Conyers Jr. of Michigan and Elijah E. Cummings of Maryland, the top Democrats on the judiciary and oversight committees, sent a letter to the White House on Friday demanding copies of any recordings if they exist. The letter noted that “it is a crime to intimidate or threaten any potential witness with the intent to influence, delay or prevent their official testimony.”...

In this case, however, the Twitter comment comes in the context of an F.B.I. investigation, and some experts said the president was skirting a legal line. Samuel W. Buell, a Duke University law professor and former federal prosecutor who led the Enron task force, said that Mr. Trump’s warning on Twitter to quiet Mr. Comey could be viewed as an effort to intimidate a witness for any current or future investigation into whether the firing of the F.B.I. director amounted to obstruction of justice.

“If this were an actual criminal investigation — in other words, if there were a prosecutor and a defense lawyer in the picture — this would draw a severe phone call to counsel warning that the defendant is at serious risk of indictment if he continues to speak to witnesses,” Mr. Buell said. “Thus, this is also definitive evidence that Trump is not listening to counsel and perhaps not even talking to counsel. Unprecedented in the modern presidency.”...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/us/p ... -news&_r=0

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat May 13, 2017 6:30 am

jserraglio wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 7:55 am
Trump needs to go. P.S. He needs to go now.
The NY Times had this discouraging opinion on it's opinion pages from conservative Erick Woods Erickson:
"Erick Woods Erickson (born June 3, 1975) is a politically conservative American blogger who hosts the radio show Atlanta's Evening News with Erick Erickson, broadcast on 750 WSB (AM). Erickson also runs the conservative blog he launched: The Resurgent. Previously, he served as the editor-in-chief and the CEO of the conservative political blog RedState[1] and was a political contributor for CNN." Regards, Len

Erick Erickson: The Fantasy of Impeachment

By ERICK-WOODS ERICKSON MAY 12, 2017

ATLANTA — After President Trump fired James Comey, the F.B.I. director, the media and political left ignited with talk of impeachment. “We are certainly moving down that path,” said Representative Ruben Gallego, Democrat of Arizona. “The Comey Firing May Be the Beginning of the End of the Trump Administration” shouted a headline in New York magazine.

This is a fantasy.

Don’t get me wrong. I have long had concerns about President Trump. He can contradict himself within separate clauses of a single sentence, then lie about the contradiction. He lacks the depth of knowledge a president should have and seems far more concerned with what people on TV say about him than what is happening around him. Even if there is no evidence that the F.B.I. is investigating the president himself, it is reportedly looking at ties between advisers to his campaign and Russia.

But let’s be realistic. Though the firing looks bad, it was also reasonable.

Consider the case made by Rod Rosenstein, the highly respected deputy attorney general, who was recently confirmed by more than 90 members of the Senate. In a memo to the president, Mr. Rosenstein said Mr. Comey had usurped the attorney general’s authority last July by announcing his conclusion that the F.B.I.’s investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails should be closed without prosecution.

“It is not the function of the director to make such an announcement,” Mr. Rosenstein wrote. “Compounding the error, the director ignored another longstanding principle: We do not hold press conferences to release derogatory information about the subject of a declined criminal investigation.”

The majority of Americans did not suddenly become convinced that Trump was unfit to be President because he fired James Comey: the majority...
"Frankly, by firing Mr. Comey, President Trump did what President Barack Obama should have done."
Mr. Rosenstein likewise documented concerns from attorneys general from both parties. “The way the director handled the conclusion of the email investigation was wrong,” he concluded. “As a result, the F.B.I. is unlikely to regain public and congressional trust until it has a director who understands the gravity of the mistakes and pledges never to repeat them.”

Mr. Comey only made things worse for himself by giving wrong information to Congress about emails belonging to Huma Abedin, Mrs. Clinton’s aide. Mr. Comey’s testimony was under oath, and the F.B.I. had to retract its own director’s testimony. No one can deny this was a bad thing.

Though they are criticizing his firing now, Democrats were calling for Mr. Comey’s head after he reopened the Clinton email investigation late in the campaign last year. If he was so bad then, is he really so good now? It also is telling that two of President Trump’s most vocal critics within the Republican Party, Senator Susan Collins of Maine and Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, both embraced Mr. Comey’s termination.

Underlying liberals’ calls for impeachment is the belief that Mr. Comey’s firing will squelch the F.B.I.’s investigation into Russian campaign meddling. But there are good reasons to think that the inquiry won’t be affected. The F.B.I.’s interim leader, Andrew McCabe, vowed on Thursday that the investigation would continue apace. Likewise, the Senate will have to confirm Mr. Trump’s nominee to replace Mr. Comey, and Republicans seem determined to keep the bureau independent. More than half the Senate Republicans have already raised concerns about how Mr. Comey was fired. Many of them are privately worried that Mr. Trump could lead them to electoral disaster. They are not going to serve as yes men for a yes man at the F.B.I.

Last, along with the F.B.I.’s counterintelligence investigation into Russian meddling, there is a Senate investigation. The chairman of the Intelligence Committee, Senator Richard Burr, Republican of North Carolina, and its ranking member, Senator Mark Warner, Democrat of Virginia, have criticized Mr. Trump’s handling of the Comey termination and are committed to the investigation. A number of other Republican Senators, including John McCain and Ben Sasse, have also raised questions about the firing.

Instead of engaging in conspiracy theories about President Trump’s Russian connections, liberals would be better served demanding that Congress exercise its powers of the purse and investigation to ensure honesty and integrity in the confirmation of a new F.B.I. director and in the operation of the agency.

Frankly, by firing Mr. Comey, President Trump did what President Barack Obama should have done. Most Americans recognize the cynical and hypocritical reactions now being deployed over this. I suspect most Americans do not even care. Hillary Clinton’s supporters have long wanted Mr. Comey out, and President Trump’s supporters will stand by their man.

In continuing to misread the political situation and reality itself, the left is setting itself up for failure and disappointment. The odds are that the president comes out of a Russian investigation unscathed. Even if Democrats take back Congress in 2018, they would probably fall short of the two-thirds vote in the Senate needed to convict him of impeachable offenses.

Impeachment is not on the horizon, and this is not the beginning of the end of the Trump presidency. It is just one day closer to the next presidential election. And until then, and maybe longer, I’m betting Donald Trump will remain our president.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/opin ... egion&_r=0

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 13, 2017 6:40 am

In calling impeachment a fantasy, Erikson presumes Trump is capable of governing the nation for 3 1/2 more years. Highly questionable assumption, given the events of the past week, let alone the past 5 months.

But supposing impeachment to be the long game, Trump's opponents can still play small ball right now: depict Trump as a nut-job, even though he may be only mentally unstable. Either way you wanna cut the delicious chocolate cake he served up to Xi Jinping, Trump needs to be forced out. Not today. Yesterday. He is a clear and present danger to the Republic.

McConnell, please man Ryan up, or vice versa.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sat May 13, 2017 8:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat May 13, 2017 6:45 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 6:40 am
Either way you wanna cut the delicious chocolate cake he served up to Xi Jinping, Trump needs to be forced out. Not today. Yesterday. He is a clear and present danger to the Republic.
Well let's start by cutting those 2 scoops of ice cream he finishes dinner with while everyone else gets only one scoop! Regards, Len :lol:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 13, 2017 6:48 am

Lenny, our President is a growing boy. The Don requires that his hand be kissed at dinner by his loyal subjects. But he needs meds more than dessert.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat May 13, 2017 6:56 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 6:48 am
Lenny, our President is a growing boy. The Don requires that his ring kissed at dinner by his loyal subjects. But he needs meds more than dessert.
Forget his meds-what he needs more than anything else no matter how you spell it is his "just desserts" or "just deserts". Regards, Len :D

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 13, 2017 7:04 am

The pendulum has swung from "no drama" with Obama to "psycho-drama" with Trump. Barack, the embodiment of Superego; Donald, poster child for our Id.

In folklore, the Lord of Misrule is usually exiled once the social fabric repairs itself. We are in need of a Prince Hal who will eventually assume the mantle and banish our "plump Jack".

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 14, 2017 1:15 pm

John F wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 6:51 am
As I said, and as this story indicates, replacing the man at the top of the FBI will not “consolidate control of the F.B.I.”, whose career officers and staff will undoubtedly pursue their current investigations as before, if anything more intensively. These people's institutional and personal pride and integrity are at stake, and they owe no loyalty to Trump and his "government."
Since "the man [sic] at the top of the FBI" apparently won't impede ongoing investigations, Trump might as well nominate a loyalist like Rudy Giuliani. Alternatively, Chris Christie.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sun May 14, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John F

Post by John F » Sun May 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Does Trump ever do anything else? But since the FBI is under the jurisdiction of the Dept of Justice, Sessions may have some suggestions. Another of nature's noblemen.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun May 14, 2017 7:30 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 1:15 pm
Alternatively, Chris Christie.
Oh no-not him--look what he did to the GW Bridge! Regards, Len--NJ resident. :(