Tartarzan National Symphony Orchestra/Sladkovksy

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Tartarzan National Symphony Orchestra/Sladkovksy

Post by Belle » Tue May 09, 2017 4:46 pm

I discovered this splendid orchestra yesterday while watching Foxtel Arts. They were playing Tchaikovsky's "Manfred Symphony" extremely well. After a little research I discovered that the conductor, Alexander Sladkovsky, has a recording contract with his orchestra. And he's a delicious piece of eye candy too!! They look and sound great. Here they are with Rachmaninov Symphony #1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlhP-HFfBI

maestrob

Re: Tartarzan National Symphony Orchestra/Sladkovksy

Post by maestrob » Wed May 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi, Belle!

Thanks for posting that. I'm definitely a Rachmaninov fan, and this was a good performance with very individual ideas, well-conceived, although I disagree with the conductor on the very last bars, which were entirely too slow. My go-to performance of this symphony would be Ormandy's 1960's-era recording: not many conductors tackle this difficult to bring off work, as II & III are more popular.

Belle

Re: Tartarzan National Symphony Orchestra/Sladkovksy

Post by Belle » Thu May 11, 2017 2:40 am

I didn't really know this splendid symphony by Rachmaninov. It reminds me of Sibelius at times. Anyway, I thought the TNSO was superb and would love to hear more from them and their conductor.