Today's HD Rosenkavalier

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Today's HD Rosenkavalier

Post by lennygoran » Sat May 13, 2017 9:08 pm

We saw it at the Rockaway Mall in NJ with our friends--the usual HD venue for us--the theater was pretty full-had a lovely dinner afterward at our BYOB usual Italian Greek restaurant 8 minutes away-we all enjoyed it-the cast was great-had never seen Groisissbock before--the Baron Ochs-- but he sure can sing and act. Garanca was just superb-Fleming can still deliver the goods! Regards, Len :D

PS-the conductor Sebastien Weigle looks uncannily like former FBI director Comey! :lol:

Beckmesser

Re: Today's HD Rosenkavalier

Post by Beckmesser » Mon May 15, 2017 5:31 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 9:08 pm
PS-the conductor Sebastien Weigle looks uncannily like former FBI director Comey! :lol:
Amazing! I had exactly the same reaction, Len.

Just to add:

I thought this was one of the most memorable HD performances I have seen. The entire cast was superb. And then there was the emotional impact of Fleming and Garanca performing their roles for the very last time.

I must admit I was apprehensive about this new production. I saw the Merrill-O'Hearn production (1969) when I was still in college and it made a deep impression on me. Sadly the sets have been looking rather tatty in recent years.

I am usually dubious when directors feel the need to transpose the setting of an opera to a different historical period but I think Carsen's decision to set the opera during the period in which it was written (before World War I) works very well. The contrast between the Act I set (classical architecture with portraits of great men representing the old aristocracy) and the Act II set (Faninal's palace in Vienna Secession style representing the nouveau riche) is convincing.

Carsen also gave a great deal of attention to little bits of stage business that added to the overall effect. Sadly, these touches are usually undetectable from our usual seats in the Balcony section but they are easily observed in the HD presentation.

I have always included Der Rosenkavalier in my list of 10 favorite operas but I came away from the HD presentation (I also saw it in the house the prior Tuesday) with a new admiration for Strauss and von Hofmannsthal's achievement. This opera is a remarkable blend of comedy and bittersweet emotion wrapped up in glorious music.

I assume the Met will release this on DVD later this year. I certainly hope so.

lennygoran

Re: Today's HD Rosenkavalier

Post by lennygoran » Mon May 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Beckmesser wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:31 pm
I am usually dubious when directors feel the need to transpose the setting of an opera to a different historical period but I think Carsen's decision to set the opera during the period in which it was written (before World War I) works very well.
Yes that's exactly how I feel-I'm always concerned when this is done-I've been thinking plenty about Cosi being done in Coney Island next year! Regards, Len :lol: