Sens. Lee & Moran to Vote 'No' on Obamacare Repeal; GOP Now Two Votes Short of 50 Needed

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Sens. Lee & Moran to Vote 'No' on Obamacare Repeal; GOP Now Two Votes Short of 50 Needed

Post by jserraglio » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:52 pm

July 17 2017

WASHINGTON – Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) issued the following statement Monday regarding the Better Care Reconciliation Act:

“After conferring with trusted experts regarding the latest version of the Consumer Freedom Amendment, I have decided I cannot support the current version of the Better Care Reconciliation Act,” Sen. Lee said. “In addition to not repealing all of the Obamacare taxes, it doesn’t go far enough in lowering premiums for middle class families; nor does it create enough free space from the most costly Obamacare regulations.”

Permalink: https://www.lee.senate.gov/public/index ... ealth-bill

---------------

Jerry Moran‏ @JerryMoran
For the same reasons I could not support the previous version of this bill, I cannot support this one. #HealthcareBill

arepo

Re: Sens. Lee & Moran to Vote 'No' on Obamacare Repeal; GOP Now Two Votes Short of 50 Needed

Post by arepo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Now that the floodgates may open, McConnell will finally realize that his dreams of total repeal of Obamacare are over, and he might think about something he's never allowed in 8 years, namely working with Democrats to solve the complexity of a solution to the flaws in the existing law.
cliftwood

lennygoran

Re: Sens. Lee & Moran to Vote 'No' on Obamacare Repeal; GOP Now Two Votes Short of 50 Needed

Post by lennygoran » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks-just back from Glimmerglass operas-what wonderful news! Regards, Len :D

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:24 am

arepo wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 pm
Now that the floodgates may open, McConnell will finally realize that his dreams of total repeal of Obamacare are over, and he might think about something he's never allowed in 8 years, namely working with Democrats to solve the complexity of a solution to the flaws in the existing law.
One would hope so, but according to news reports this morning, the latest Republican plan is to have a bill that will "phase out" Obamacare over a two-year period, and use that time to come up with a more acceptable replacement (acceptable to Republicans, that is). Work with Democrats? They're not there yet.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:22 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:24 am
... use that time to come up with a more acceptable replacement (acceptable to Republicans, that is). Work with Democrats? They're not there yet.
Face-saving move. If they had a viable solution, they would have surfaced it by now. It's been years they've been beating this drum to no avail. They shoulda listened to Speaker Boehner who warned in February there was no path forward:
John Boehner wrote:They’ll fix Obamacare, and I shouldn’t have called it repeal and replace because that’s not what’s going to happen. They’re basically going to fix the flaws and put a more conservative box around it.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:28 am

jserraglio wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:22 am
Face-saving move.
Gee I sure hope you're right-I'll be nervous until the vote on a straight repeal is taken. If it does fail won't the Republicans look even worse. Imagine the tweets from Trump if it does fail! Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 am

Well today sure looks like a big day for all this-I'm of course nervous and plenty worried-looks to me like there may be 3 no's to keep it from proceeding and that chaos is in the wind to follow-who knows how it will all end up. Looks like around 2:15 is when they may start voting. Regards, Len :(