The Operatic Pianist: Andrew Wright

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

The Operatic Pianist: Andrew Wright

Post by Lance » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:32 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX466_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX425_.jpg

A good Scottish name, ANDREW WRIGHT, which he is. And a first-class pianist to boot. I knew nothing of this man's work until I heard Divine Art's "The Operatic Pianist," [25113] which I understand will have a follow-up recording available shortly. This issue came out in 2014 and I wish I had discovered it sooner. While there are many great recordings of operatic transcriptions, given all the qualities of Wright's playing, this one is one you will remember. Not only does Wright play transcriptions by Thalberg and Liszt, he represents himself as a composer in two stunning pieces of his own: Fantasy on Bellini's "La Sonnambula," and a Concert Fantasy on Meyerbeer's "Robert le Diable." Just hearing those will make you think you are in the presence of a present day Liszt or Thalberg, both of whom were amazingly gifted transcibers. This disc also has the world premiere recording of Giuseppe Martucci's [1856-1909] Concert Fantasy on Verdi's "La Forza del Destino," also well worth hearing. Wonderful artist, superb piano offering an incredible range of dynamics and interpretations that will stay with you!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: The Operatic Pianist: Andrew Wright

Post by maestrob » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:51 am

Thanks, Lance! That one's for me 8).

barney

Post by barney » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 pm

I've never heard of Divine Art. Do you know anything about the label?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Yes, a fabulous label (or group of labels) well known to dyed-in-the-wool collectors such as yours truly! I have many of their recordings. Indeed, Mr. Stephen Sutton, who is heavily involved with this label, is a member of CMG, though I have not seen his presence for some time. This is a label that should be better known, but if they keep releasing material as they have doing right along, they will be better known. It's a first-class outfit. I have many of their recordings. They feature many superb performing artists, including the late Anthony Goldstone. There is a fabulous recording of Armenian music offering a fabulous piece for cello and piano by Arutunian. Their catalogue is worth a good look! Highly recommended.

Here's information on their web site, British-based company. I believe Mr. Sutton resided in the USA - he may still.

https://divineartrecords.com/
barney wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 pm
I've never heard of Divine Art. Do you know anything about the label?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]