Opera News Annual Season Forecast

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

THEHORN

Opera News Annual Season Forecast

Post by THEHORN » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:45 pm

In response to Len's profile of 11 operas being performed this season around the globe , I recently received the September issue of Opera News magazine , which has its annual preview of the opera season all over the globe .
The sheer diversity of operatic repertoire scheduled is simply amazing . Everything from operas by Monteverdi, Rameau, Handel , Gluck and Mozart to world premieres by a variety of different contemporary composers and performances of works which were recently premiered . All the most popular operas by Mozart, Rossini, Donizetti, Verdi, Puccini, Bizet, Gounod, Massenet, Wagner, Richard Strauss are well represented , but there are an amazing numbers of operas that are so obscure you've probably never heard of ,by composers who are also obscure .
For example : Giulietta & Romeo by Vaccai , known for his vocal exercises , Marouf by HenriRabaud, Le Metamorfosi di Pasquale by Spontini , The Demon by Anton Rubinstein , Eliogabolo by Cavalli , to name only several .
Plus numerous lesser known operas by Rossini, Donizetti, Verdi , and other famous opera composers . The San Francisco opera is doing the world premiere of "Girls of the Golden West "by John Adams , and the long neglected Pearl Fishers of Bizet has is being done by a number of opera houses . There are opera for all tastes , new ,old, familiar and unfamiliar .
Reports of the death of opera have been greatly exaggerated !

lennygoran

Re: Opera News Annual Season Forecast

Post by lennygoran » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:13 pm

THEHORN wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:45 pm
I recently received the September issue of Opera News magazine , which has its annual preview of the opera season all over the globe ... .the long neglected Pearl Fishers of Bizet has is being done by a number of opera houses . There are opera for all tastes , new ,old, familiar and unfamiliar .
Bob I'd love to see that list especially for anything relatively local. The Met did a new Pearl Fishers that started great but for me finished ET style-notice the cabinets, book shelves and TV--for us very disappointing. Regards, Len :(

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:41 pm

I borrowed the CD of the Met Pearl Fishers from my local library last week and enjoyed it very much . The office didn't bother me. The production was set in the modern day , but there were no idiotic Eurotrash elements in it .
I also got the Met's Prince Igor from my library , and the performance was absolutely thrilling musically . Setting it in the 20th century didn't bother me much either , because the cast , conductor , orchestra and chorus gave such a gutsy and impassioned performance . The notorious carpet of poppies somehow worked as a theatrical concept .

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 am

THEHORN wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:41 pm

I also got the Met's Prince Igor from my library , and the performance was absolutely thrilling musically .
I hated that production even though I'm a gardener and love poppies. Regards, Len :(

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:41 pm

I just watched that Pecheurs de perles last night. The singing was extraordinary but the scene in the office did put me off, especially when Zurga pulled out a cigarette and lit it after his big aria! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It seemed ridiculous to have everybody in modern dress, while Leila was done up in native dress as befitted her character. Jarring, to say the least.

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:15 pm

Lenny, I take it you don't subscribe to Opera News . But you should . You can also check their website . No opera fan should miss the September issue with the season preview .

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:25 pm

THEHORN wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:15 pm
Lenny, I take it you don't subscribe to Opera News . But you should .
Bob thanks-I guess I really should-I'll have to talk to Sue about it. Regards, Len