Cleveland WINdians streak now at 22; 1916 New York Giants won 26

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Cleveland WINdians streak now at 22; 1916 New York Giants won 26

Post by jserraglio » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/indians-tie-am ... 17203.html

Francisco Lindor hit his 30th homer, the most for a kid shortstop since A-Rod launched 42 iat age-23 in 1999. But A-Rod has been tainted by accusations of steroid cheating.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:48 am, edited 8 times in total.

lennygoran

Re: Moneyball II: Cleveland Indians win 20th in a row

Post by lennygoran » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 am

I looked up the record for longest streak as the cleveland sports scene is getting a little too big for its britches-26-if they'll be playing my yankees soon that streak is over! Len :lol: :lol: :lol:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 am

lennygoran wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 am
I looked up the record for longest streak as the cleveland sports scene is getting a little too big for its britches-26-if they'll be playing my yankees soon that streak is over! Len :lol: :lol: :lol:
With apologies, I must point out the Indians swept the Yanks about a week ago as part of their current 20-game winning streak which tied the Moneyball KC A's of 2002. Only the 1935 Cubs now have won more in a row (21) than the Indians and the Athletics, and I'd be the first one to concede breaking 21 in a row still looks unsurmountable. The Indians might tie it with their 21st tonight, but I'd be shocked if they broke it with a 22nd. The streak of 26 games (1916 Giants) is disputed because it included a tie, play being suspended at nightfall due to rain and darkness. The game was replayed next day though and the Giants won.

Speaking of long-gone days of glory, the great 1947 Yankees' streak of 19 games was broken once again two nights ago by the Cleveland Indians. Truth to tell, until this season, the Yankees had let themselves get old and slow. They woke up at the end of last year and started to rebuild once they realized that their big-market coffers no longer guaranteed them a World Series berth. Your Yankees are now likely to earn a wildcard slot and may even face the Indians. Should be interesting.
Last edited by jserraglio on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 12 times in total.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:48 am

I`m furious-I may have to give up gardening and get back in to basebal! Len :lol:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:25 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:48 am
I`m furious-I may have to give up gardening and get back in to basebal! Len :lol:
The game has become great again because of young teams like the Cubs, Royals, Twins, Nationals and Indians. Cleveland won this afternoon over Detroit, tying the record set by the Chicago Cubs in 1935. Only two teams in MLB history (Cubs and Indians) own an uninterrupted 21-game winning streak. No team has ever won more than 21, except the Giants whose streak of 26 was interrupted and thus disputed by some. The Indians can surpass the 82-year-old Cubs streak if they win 22 in a row Thursday nite.

In my view, the NY Giants 1916 streak of 26 was less of a winning streak than an unbeaten streak since it included a tie about halfway thru. The Giants won 12 games in a row in 1916 before tying Pittsburgh, 1-1, on Sept. 8. They went on to win 14 more before losing the second game of a doubleheader to the Boston Braves on Sept. 30. To be fair to the Giants' stunning achievement though, that tie game was replayed the following day and the Giants won.