Anyone Know What This Piece Is

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Anyone Know What This Piece Is

Post by lennygoran » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 pm

We were up in Connecticut viewing private gardens and two of them had classical music and opera playing as we strolled--delightful! Regards, Len :D

John F

Re: Anyone Know What This Piece Is

Post by John F » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:40 pm

It's from the overture and Venusberg bacchanale that Wagner wrote for the Paris production of "Tannhäuser." Strange music for viewing a sedate Connecticut garden, or maybe there was more going on up there than the video shows? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9CmUMb02QI
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 pm

John F wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:40 pm
It's from the overture and Venusberg bacchanale that Wagner wrote for the Paris production of "Tannhäuser."
Thanks --have to admit I'm shocked and embarrassed-I don't recognize that as Wagner at all-I see it goes on for 21 minutes-can you pinpoint where that section is located? Regards, Len

PS another garden had this-now this one I don't need any help on :lol: -of course I could use help on how badly I photographed it. :(

John F

Post by John F » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:43 pm

Trust me, the music in your clip is what I said it is. I'll leave it to you to find it in the Venusberg bacchanale music if you want to. No need to be embarrassed - that music is in a more advanced style than the overture (it was composed later) and many performances and recordings don't include it, though James Levine has in the Met's production.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 pm

John F wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:43 pm
Trust me, the music in your clip is what I said it is.
Definitely trust you on this! Regards, Len