Cleveland Browns tackle is 4 snaps shy of 10,000 straight even as Cleveland Indians streak snaps at 22

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Cleveland Browns tackle is 4 snaps shy of 10,000 straight even as Cleveland Indians streak snaps at 22

Post by jserraglio » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:13 am

The Good News: Future Hall of Famer Joe Thomas hasn't missed a game or a snap in over 11 years, an astounding achievement for an NFL offensive lineman. The average NFL player's career lasts less than 4 years. If baseball's Cal Ripkin, Jr. was dubbed "The Iron Man", then football's Joe Thomas should be designated "New Magnesium Man".

The Bad News: His team's record is 48-113 in that period.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday ... 105617092/
Last edited by jserraglio on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

lennygoran

Re: Cleveland Browns tackle is 4 snaps shy of 10,000 straight even as Cleveland Indians streak snaps at 22

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:51 am

Go Yanks Go! We`re up in danbury and ate at a restaurant with friends named Rizzuto-only thing better would be if we ate at a restaurant named BERRA`s. One of the friends not only knows his opera and classical music-he`s an avid baseball fan-he informed me about the streak ending. Today he and his son are going to a yankee game at the stadium while we check out private gardens. He said the yankees are`nt out of the playoffs-he expects them to be there. Len

jserraglio

Re: Cleveland Browns tackle is 4 snaps shy of 10,000 straight even as Cleveland Indians streak snaps at 22

Post by jserraglio » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:03 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:51 am
Go Yanks Go! We`re up in danbury and ate at a restaurant with friends named Rizzuto-only thing better would be if we ate at a restaurant named BERRA`s. One of the friends not only knows his opera and classical music-he`s an avid baseball fan-he informed me about the streak ending. Today he and his son are going to a yankee game at the stadium while we check out private gardens. He said the yankees are`nt out of the playoffs-he expects them to be there. Len
I think your friend is spot-on. Despite finishing in next-to-last place last year in the AL East, this year the Yankees got religion, renewed their baseball baptismal vows, should make the postseason as a wildcard, and if they get hot could win it all.

That being said, the Yankees at long last have shed their aura of entitlement and are now playing the game alongside their baseball brothers instead of waiting for their front office to bail them out into a championship at the last minute. Maybe they took a leaf from the playbook of the Twins, the Astros, the Royals and most impressively of all, the Cleveland WINdians.

Cleveland's payroll last year was $97 million, the only team in postseason whose payroll ranked in the bottom half of MLB. They took the spendthrift Cubs to the 10th inning of Game 7 of the WS.

Teams afflicted with chronic swelled-head syndrome: you have all been put on notice by your baseball cousins: in the past 5 years, the game has changed. Smaller-market teams have represented their league in 4 of the last 6 World Series. But the once high & mighty Yanks finally do look like they got the memo. And what has happened this year to AL big-market teams that stood pat and never adapted to reality? The Blue Jays, Tigers and White Sox have all been relegated to class AAA status.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:05 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:03 am
I think your friend is spot-on. ...Teams afflicted with chronic swelled-head syndrome: you have all been put on notice
I'm so glad to hear my friend is spot-on-also what about presidents of the US with chronic swelled-head syndrome. As for my friend I heard the Yanks lost today-meantime Sue and I had one of our best private garden days ever! Regards, Len :D

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:31 pm

The NYY are still 4 games up on the Twins for the first wildcard and only down 3 to Boston for 1st place in the East. Safe bet they will make the postseason and if Houston can sweep Boston the last 4 games of the season, they might even be divisional champs.

I always liked the Yankees before the Steinbrenner era kicked in; speaking of a swelled head and abuse of subordinates Trump could've modeled himself on that guy. The Yanks played well this year in a tough division.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:39 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:31 pm
the Steinbrenner era kicked in;
I wasn't following baseball as much with Steinbrenner around-still didn't he fire Yogi-this is even worse than when Trump fired Comey! Regards, Len :lol:

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 am

Steinbrenner came from Cleveland (Rocky River), so maybe subconsciously wanted to undermine the Yankees b/c of what happened to the Tribe in the '50s.

Berra was one of baseball's gods. DiMaggio was god. 13 strikeouts the year of the streak. All year. Incroyable!