Domingo William Tell!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Domingo William Tell!

Post by lennygoran » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:24 am

A friend sent me info on this and I googled and then used a free translator. Regards, Len :lol:

Some new roles, unstoppable in its effort to expand its repertoire are drawn on the agenda ahead of Placido Domingo. In particular, in the summer of 2018 will be provided his voice to the role of Zurga in a concert of the Georges Bizet Pearl fishers version. And in 2019 all indications are that it could debut with the titular role of Rossini's Guillaume Tell, in the Pesaro Festival.

barney

Re: Domingo William Tell!

Post by barney » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:28 pm

I can see why the translator is free! :D
In my last opinion column for The Age, I had Google translate it into Latin and gave it to the opinion editor as a joke. Of course, it probably made more sense and was better written than the English version!

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 pm

barney wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:28 pm
I can see why the translator is free! :D
Barney yes but what about Domingo doing William Tell-what do you think? At least he's not doing the role of Arnold! Regards, Len :lol:

barney

Post by barney » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:23 pm

To be frank, I think he is clinging on. I think he's still a fine singer, but the voice has deteriorated from when he was one of the greatest. I heard him sing Boccanegra at the Met, and the other singers had to scale back a bit when on stage with him. Maybe he just can't face retirement.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:13 pm

barney wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:23 pm
To be frank, I think he is clinging on. I think he's still a fine singer, but the voice has deteriorated from when he was one of the greatest. I heard him sing Boccanegra at the Met, and the other singers had to scale back a bit when on stage with him. Maybe he just can't face retirement.
Barney one thing he still has going for him-stage presence-we'll see him this season at the Met in Luisa Miller. Len from secaucus

barney

Post by barney » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:17 pm

That's true, Len. Stage presence, great musical wisdom and experience, the ability to husband and use his voice. He is obviously an all-time great, and I'm hugely grateful that I managed to see him live on stage, even at the end of his career.
Even now he is a really fine singer, whom I would pay to hear, but he is also diminished.