Lance's radio programs: January 2018

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Lance's radio programs: January 2018

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:21 am

PROGRAMS HEARD EVERY SATURDAY:
January 6, 2018: Matt Haimowitz, cellist
January 13, 2018: Régine Crespin, soprano
___Verdi: Otello: Willow Song and Desdemona's Prayer (r.1958)
___Berlioz: Les Nuit's d'éte (Summer Nights), Op. 7 (r.1963)
___Bolling: "Let the flowers hang" from Claude Bolling's film Say it with Flowers w/Bolling, piano and ensemble
January 20, 2018: Charles Rosen, pianist [Part 1 of 2]
___F. J. Haydn: Piano Sonata #31 in A-flat Major (r. c1968)
___Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat Major, Op. 19 w/Symphonica of London,
Wyn Morris, conductor (r.1978)
___[Encore] Bizet/Rachmaninoff: "Minuet" from L'Arlesienne Suite No. 1 (r.1965)
January 27, 2018: Charles Rosen, pianist [Part 2 of 2]
___Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 27 in E Minor, Op. 90 (r.1969)
___Schumann: Impromptus on a Theme of Clara Wieck, Op. 5 (r.1982)
___Liszt: Reminiscences of Don Juan (after Mozart's opera Don Giovanni) (r.1963)

7:00 p.m. Eastern Time, WPEL, 96.5 FM
On Internet at: http://wpel.streamon.fm/
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: Lance's radio programs: January 2018

Post by John F » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:06 am

One of Régine Crespin's great recordings is Ravel's "Sheherezade," which I believe is the flip side of the Berlioz. Ansermet's conducting isn't half-bad either. :)

She sang a lot of German opera, not just "Der Rosenkavalier" at the Met and in the Solti recording but Brünnhilde in Karajan's "Walküre," Sieglinde in Solti's "Walkure," and Kundry, Sieglinde, and the 3rd Norn at the Bayreuth Festival from 1958 to 1961. Unfortunately the Parsifal in her Bayreuth performances was Hans Beirer, whose voice you may not want to inflict on your listeners. :mrgreen: But there's lots of good material in the commercial recordings.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Indeed, quite a nice legacy of recordings she has left. There is a new Warner 10-CD set just out that also includes some recordings licensed by Decca (must be Decca and Warner are friendly to each other!). That new set includes the Sheherezade you mention along with the Berlioz Nuits d'éte and other Decca material. Unfortunately, I only allowed one program in her honour. Fact is, I could have done at least three! The "oddity" on my program is the inclusion of the Claude Bolling piece. The new Warner set also has some bonus items from private recordings. I'm delighted to have this set.

I wrote about this set on CMG here:
http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/view ... in#p482185
John F wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:06 am
One of Régine Crespin's great recordings is Ravel's "Sheherezade," which I believe is the flip side of the Berlioz. Ansermet's conducting isn't half-bad either. :)

She sang a lot of German opera, not just "Der Rosenkavalier" at the Met and in the Solti recording but Brünnhilde in Karajan's "Walküre," Sieglinde in Solti's "Walkure," and Kundry, Sieglinde, and the 3rd Norn at the Bayreuth Festival from 1958 to 1961. Unfortunately the Parsifal in her Bayreuth performances was Hans Beirer, whose voice you may not want to inflict on your listeners. :mrgreen: But there's lots of good material in the commercial recordings.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

John F

Post by John F » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Ah so. But since the next two programs are TBA, nothing prevents you from playing some more Crespin. :)
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Hmm. Well, my "plan" was to produce two programs honoring the pianist Charles Rosen. But that can also change. Forthcoming programs include the violinist Uto Ughi, conductor Georges Prêtre, soprano Agnes Baltsa, pianist Jean-Marc Luisada, violinist Arthur Grumiaux, conductor Leopold Stokowski, pianist Eileen Joyce, violinist Christian Ferras, soprano Phyllis Curtin, pianist Victor Merzhanov, pianist Jean Dubé, and many others. If all goes as planned, you will see these and more!
John F wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:27 pm
Ah so. But since the next two programs are TBA, nothing prevents you from playing some more Crespin. :)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief