Goran Filipec - stunning pianist!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Goran Filipec - stunning pianist!

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:54 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX355_.jpg
Arrangements and Variations by Hambourg, Busoni,Zadora, Friedman and Papandopulo
Grand Piano 769, 55:04, DDD

Who says some of the world's finest pianists (not yet on people's minds) are not among us now! (I have encountered such comments many times!) Such is the discovery of Croation pianist Goran Filipec (born 1981). His most recent CD is one of the most incredible piano recordings I have heard in ages. And it's all about Paganini - the violinist! - only for the piano as viewed by great pianists of the past.

Here's the back inlay blurb if you can't read the link above:
"In the years between 1092 and 1914 some of the world's greatest pianists published a series of works that explored the lyricism and virtuosity of Paganini's Caprices. Busoni was the greatest figure among them, but he considered Mark Hambourg to be the greatest pianistic talent of his generation. Both Michael Zadora and Ignaz Friedman carried out inventive free transcriptions while years later the Croation, Boris Papandopulo, infused the pungent flavours of mid-20th century idioms into the genre."

Niccolo Paganini is still considered the greatest performer on the violin that we know, not by any recordings made (the process wasn't invented yet), but based on reviews and those who saw Paganini in concert attest to this. Liszt thought enough of Paganini to write music based on Paganini. I can only think that if Paganini was a pianist instead of a violinist that he might have written music that you will hear on this disc. The Hambourg and Friedman arrangements/transcriptions are followed and conclude the disc with some more contemporary but entirely satisfying Papandopulo three Capriccios after Paganini.

The recording quality is outstanding. The piano used is the Shigeru Kawai EX, which is considered one of the top finest pianos made in the world today. For me, it is an absolutely incredible sounding instrument, perfectly balanced with a gorgeous resonance and singing quality. (When Baldwin went out of business, Earl Wild selected the Shigeru Kawai piano as his new instrument ... and as we all know, he was very particular about his pianos. I know from working with him). I throw that information in because I am so interested in what pianos are used by performing artists.

So, be prepared for some hair-raising listening experiences with this CD. Six stars instead of five if I could give it!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: Goran Filipec - stunning pianist!

Post by barney » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:40 pm

I went to his website and bought it Lance. $41 including delivery, so it had better be all you say! :D
I love Paganini transcriptions/arrangements, so you were very persuasive.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Thanks for introducing me to this pianist !

Here he is , live video , playing the Liszt Polonaise No.1, my first hearing of the work , much less well-known I think than Liszt's Polonaise No.2 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slAifVHWe-E

And 2 selections ( by Zadora ) from the Paganini cd you mention ( there are more from that cd at YT ) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZsUtgQS3L0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyW4280e9uk

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:54 am

Filipec also has 2 Grand Piano cd's of music by Croatian composer Blagoje Bersa and Yugolsovian composer Ivo Macek ,both complete at YT. Based on hearings the brief piano sonatas of both, seem worth exploring further, new composers, music for me. Thanks again for introducing me to Filipec.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:15 am

Schubert-Liszt "Erlkonig", live !, by Filipec: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W41letUOb1M

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Filipec in Japan, 2017, live video, YT sound issues of course, but rarely heard Macek works, an excellent “ Dante”, and rare (?) chance to hear the Busoni revisions of the Paganinis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnoQtI1CF8M&t=6s

Ivo Macek: Intermezzo
Ivo Macek: Theme and Variations
Franz Liszt: Après une lecture du Dante: fantasia quasi sonata
Liszt-Busoni: 6 grandes études de Paganini
Franz Liszt: Valse-Impromptu

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:17 am

Am listening to Filipec's recital, and, yes indeed, he is a wonder! Sadly, I've already spent my allowance for this month, so his recordings must go on my "want list," but they're there to stay. Thanks for the recommendation and all the youtube links!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 am

BTW: Filipec (pronounced Filipetz) has a new CD coming out which will be released in the U. S. A. on April 18. More Liszt.......available for pre-order from amazon:

barney

Post by barney » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:40 am

I just had the sweetest email from Goran Filipec.
I had asked for a signed copy of the CD, as it is the same price. He wrote:
Dear Barney,
Many thanks for your CD order which has been forwarded to me just now.
Apparently we are out of signed copies of the Paganini CD, but I'll be in Paris mid next week and able to sign a new copy for you which could then be dispatched about that time. Would this be OK?
Best regards,
Goran

With all due respect, I can't imagine Murray Perahia or Alfred Brendel doing that. Mind you, I interviewed Perahia once for the Sydney Morning Herald, and he was helpful, open, polite and charming though he must have answered similar questions scores of times.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:09 pm

A true gentleman! I've got both his CDs on order from amazon, and am looking forward to hearing them.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:00 pm

Indeed, sounds like a very true gentleman! I can hardly wait for some other discs of his that should be forthcoming. I still cannot believe this playing the piano in such a grand manner.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:47 am

May be of interest :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl6y2QDaWCM&t=5s ( From a 2015 French talk-show , at the end plays the opening piano entrance of the Ravel Left-Hand Concerto )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ6lFXRAuig ( Liszt’s “Norma”, Japan, 2015 , great )

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Rach3:

Thanks for those. It's been a while since I've spoken French, and I'm pleased to say I could follow the discussion. Filipec wasn't allowed to play complete works on the talk-show, but what I heard was quite good. Imagine such a program being produced and airing here in the U. S. Never happen! :mrgreen:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:53 pm

Today, Filipec's Naxos "Complete Piano Music • 42" arrived, entitled "Paganini Studies. I am about to audition it now. Interesting that FAZIOLI, the relatively new high-class piano maker apparently sponsored this CD. Filipec, of course, uses their concert grand piano for the recording made at Fazioli's studio in Italy.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Just finished listening to the all-Liszt disc on Naxos [573458]. In a word, all I can say is WOW! This is probably the best recording of these Paganini pieces I've ever heard. It all helps with one of the best-sounding Fazioli pianos I've ever heard. Goran Filipec, himself, was the producer of this disc. The execution, singing tone, balance, and overall performance is spine-tingling. To have Filipec's technique melded with all else we want to hear from pianists is surely here. You will PRIZE this disc, playing in the grandest manner.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:50 am

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:49 pm
Just finished listening to the all-Liszt disc on Naxos [573458]. In a word, all I can say is WOW! This is probably the best recording of these Paganini pieces I've ever heard. It all helps with one of the best-sounding Fazioli pianos I've ever heard. Goran Filipec, himself, was the producer of this disc. The execution, singing tone, balance, and overall performance is spine-tingling. To have Filipec's technique melded with all else we want to hear from pianists is surely here. You will PRIZE this disc, playing in the grandest manner.
Thank you, Lance, for your enthusiasm for Filipec (pronounced Filipetz). I'mm looking forward to getting the two discs next month, and can't wait to hear them! 8)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:55 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX355_.jpg
Naxos 573705, DDD, 69:24 [Volume 49 in Naxos' complete piano music series]

Just arrived today, thanks to prime service! Already heard from beginning to end and I continue to be in complete awe of this pianist. This is some of the best playing of Liszt's music I have ever encountered, bar none.

Imagine two Grand Galop cromatiques, all four Valse oubliées, 3 Csárdáses, the Mephisto Polka, and the Chopin-like Mazurka brillante, and two other valses. On this recording, made in Germany in February 2017, Filipec uses a Shigeru Kawai concert grand, the finest piano in the entire Kawai lineup, and a beauty it is. Enormous sonority and clarity, and apparently an action totally committed to Filipec's tremendous technique, a glorious "singing" piano and perfectly balanced.

Like the previous Naxos CD that opened this post, a disc that pianophiles will want to add to their collections. Both, among the best piano recordings for 2018. I hope Filipec continues to grow his list of recordings. I would rank this pianist at the very top of the list of major pianists in front of the public today.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:15 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY355_.jpg

Another two-CD set arrived today, which I have listened to already, and the artistry of this superb artist still has me in shock. This is some of the best Liszt playing I have ever heard on records. This one is available from CD Baby. Goran Filipec has produced this album, which appears on the label Goran Filipec Productions [GF 001]. It was recorded at the Fazioli Concert Hall in 2011 using a magnificent Fazioli concert grand piano.

Entitled "Anniversary Resonances," the following Liszt works are heard:

Vallée d'Obermann
Dante Sonata
Sonata in B Minor
Mephisto Waltz
Reminiscences of Norma
Rigoletto Paraphrase de Concert
Polonaise No. 1 ("Melancolique"
Polonaise No. 2
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 10
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

If ever a pianist leaves an impression on most of this well-known music, it is Goran Filipec! I won't discard my many Liszt discs, but Filipec's recordings are at the very top of the Liszt (sic) in this repertoire!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Another two-CD set arrived today, which I have listened to already, and the artistry of this superb artist still has me in shock. This is some of the best Liszt playing I have ever heard on records. This one is available from CD Baby.
YouTube sound limits , but here an autoplay introduction to the cd's, others by Filipec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9Qi_lL ... lyxCR-C7hA

Thanks again for introducing me to this pianist !

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:59 am

I have had an opportunity to hear Goran Filipec's all-Scarlatti sonata album [called Volume 19] on Naxos [573590, 66:12] and once again, am hugely impressed with his playing. Every disc is a joy to hear. I might have considered acquiring Naxos' complete and ongoing collection of Domenico Scarlatti's sonatas particularly if Filipec was the pianist in the majority of the output. Again, not only is the pianism superb, but the sonics of the recording and the piano, a Shigeru Kawai SK-EX is first-class.

In connecting with the pianist recently (who has viewed the CMG site), he advises me that his Rachmaninoff Sonata No. 2 pairing with Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition is out-of-print. However after some careful research, I am expecting to have a copy of that CD very soon. [It pays to hunt very hard sometimes!]
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief