Early Mozart piano concertos source

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Early Mozart piano concertos source

Post by Rach3 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:23 am

YouTube sound , but a place to explore the lesser-known that may not be in one's collection.While I have heard several of these, not often enough to form opinions ( or perhaps with my increasing age Mozart appeals even more than earlier ) , but after YT hearings I am going to seek out recordings of Nos.11,12,13 ( I have 15 already with Richter, 19 with R.Serkin ). I believe these are all from the Naxos cd series with pianist Jeno Jando,an underrated pianist IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcz4vrC ... 74C95BF2A5

John F

Re: Early Mozart piano concertos source

Post by John F » Thu May 10, 2018 10:06 am

The 12th concerto in A major is the most often performed of these. Leon Fleisher chose it as the two-handed concerto for his comeback, and it's a lovely piece. These are the concertos that Mozart wrote for publication; he said they could be played "a quattro," meaning with accompaniment by solo strings, appealing to the market of home musical amateurs. (I've heard one of the played that way and missed the woodwinds.) He described to his father as having much to offer to connoisseurs, while others would enjoy them without knowing why. After these concertos he composed only for public performance by himself or other professionals, and none were published during his lifetime.
John Francis

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:40 am

John F wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:06 am
These are the concertos that Mozart wrote for publication; he said they could be played "a quattro," meaning with accompaniment by solo strings, appealing to the market of home musical amateurs. (I've heard one of the played that way and missed the woodwinds.)
Thanks for your input. In fact , the recordings of 11,12,13 I'm considering are the versions Mozart wrote for piano and quartet or quintet. 12 is probably the overall " strongest " of the 3, but the others have many moments.

barney

Post by barney » Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 pm

I have long loved these concertos - everything after 9, his first really great piano concerto. Perahia and Uchida are both well worth hearing in all three.

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri May 11, 2018 12:30 am

barney wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:51 pm
I have long loved these concertos - everything after 9, his first really great piano concerto. Perahia and Uchida are both well worth hearing in all three.
I love the 9, 17 and 20. The rest I can do without.

John F

Post by John F » Fri May 11, 2018 3:27 am

Astonishing. Chacun a son gout.
John Francis

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:53 am

barney wrote:
Agree , although 1st mov. of # 26 is still a mystery to me.

IF I get just one, would be K.467 ( # 21 ), two I'd add K.595 ( # 27 ), 3 K. 271 (# 9 ).

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri May 11, 2018 10:05 am

The first complete set of Mozart's Piano Concerti was with Lili Kraus in the 1960's, playing with a pick-up band that was exceedingly awful. I had them on reel-to-reel tape, and they disappointed me to say the least. Then, in the 1970's, Geza Anda's set with himself leading from the keyboard was issued on LP by DGG, and I was bowled over by them, and still am. I listen regularly to that set and the Murray Perahia one as well. Both are excellent. Unfortunately, Uchida leaves out the juvenilia: she starts with #5, IIRC, and Jeffrey Tate's leadership is more subdued that Anda, who has more energy. All 3 sets are excellent, but I keep returning to Anda because I like the committed playing of his orchestra.

I agree with you, barney: IX is indeed Mozart's first great piano concerto.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:40 am

I believe young Mozart arranged this , the music actually by another composer, but a nice moment from Mozart's PC # 2 , K.39:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvjzBcu5JU

John F

Post by John F » Fri May 11, 2018 2:35 pm

The first four keyboard concertos credited to Mozart are actually his arrangements of movements by other composers. His first original concerto is No. 5, which I like very much. When Mozart moved to Vienna he played that concerto at one of his concerts, but replaced the finale with a new one which he expected would please the Viennese audience more. I like the first finale better.
John Francis

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Fri May 11, 2018 5:22 pm

I have the complete Perahia set and love it. While there are some performances of the later concertos by other pianists which have been outstanding this set by Perahia is just so satisfying to listen to. The one that switched me onto his Mozart PCs was a single CD I bought of the 9th and 21. I bought it for No 21 but the performance of #9 was so thrilling that I listened to that even more. It's still the best performance out there for my taste.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:22 pm
I bought it for No 21 but the performance of #9 was so thrilling that I listened to that even more. It's still the best performance out there for my taste.
FYI, Brendel farewell with VPO :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMaehuxici4

barney

Post by barney » Sat May 12, 2018 12:28 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:22 pm
I have the complete Perahia set and love it. While there are some performances of the later concertos by other pianists which have been outstanding this set by Perahia is just so satisfying to listen to. The one that switched me onto his Mozart PCs was a single CD I bought of the 9th and 21. I bought it for No 21 but the performance of #9 was so thrilling that I listened to that even more. It's still the best performance out there for my taste.
Yes, that Perahia set is on my desert island list. If I could take only five sets, that would be one. (Though I might cheat now, and take the whole Mozart 200 issued a year or two ago.) One might well prefer other pianists in some concertos, but as a collection Perahia's set is sublime.

barney

Post by barney » Sat May 12, 2018 12:49 am

Rach3 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:53 am
barney wrote:
Agree , although 1st mov. of # 26 is still a mystery to me.

IF I get just one, would be K.467 ( # 21 ), two I'd add K.595 ( # 27 ), 3 K. 271 (# 9 ).
I was talking only of those three concerti, which I do indeed enjoy greatly. But the greatest of all, in my view, and ones which I never have as music to work to but only to concentrate on, are the late ones, especially 20 K466 and 27 K595.

barney

Post by barney » Sat May 12, 2018 12:52 am

maestrob wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:05 am
The first complete set of Mozart's Piano Concerti was with Lili Kraus in the 1960's, playing with a pick-up band that was exceedingly awful. I had them on reel-to-reel tape, and they disappointed me to say the least. Then, in the 1970's, Geza Anda's set with himself leading from the keyboard was issued on LP by DGG, and I was bowled over by them, and still am. I listen regularly to that set and the Murray Perahia one as well. Both are excellent. Unfortunately, Uchida leaves out the juvenilia: she starts with #5, IIRC, and Jeffrey Tate's leadership is more subdued that Anda, who has more energy. All 3 sets are excellent, but I keep returning to Anda because I like the committed playing of his orchestra.

I agree with you, barney: IX is indeed Mozart's first great piano concerto.
I've never heard any of the Krauss recordings. But perhaps I haven't missed much.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat May 12, 2018 1:34 am

You mention Jeno Jando ... I must tell you I heard a recording of the Concerto No. 1 (attributed to Mozart), when I was traveling by car. I heard the name Jeno Jando on a Naxos disc announced and immediately acquired it and have loved that performance ever since. I agree, Jando doesn't seem to get his due. I have a number of recordings by him and have enjoyed them.
Rach3 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:23 am

[Clipped] I believe these are all from the Naxos cd series with pianist Jeno Jando,an underrated pianist IMHO.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]