Fulop Ranki live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Fulop Ranki live

Post by Rach3 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Then 22-year old pianist son of the great pianist Deszo Ranki ( Budapest Academy classmate of Andras Schiff and the late Zoltan Kocsis ) live , 2017, complete Liszt TE's, S.139. I was “ hooked” after Nos.2 and 3 :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b2ly0z

Holy Cow !! Over-heard in the audience : “ Is it warm in here ? Not for violinists.” My fav of the set, # 11 “Harmonies” , !!

Maybe a bit impetuous at times ( eg. , # 12 “ Chasse-neige” ), not absolutely spotless ( so what , with live playing like this ?! ), but youth not wasted on the young here. Not to be missed.

Venue not mentioned or I missed. Tepid audience.

John F

Re: Fulop Ranki live

Post by John F » Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 am

Rach3 wrote:Over-heard in the audience : “ Is it warm in here ? Not for violinists.”
Some here, maybe all, know the origin of that joke. The occasion was Jascha Heifetz's sensational American debut at Carnegie Hall in 1917, age 16. Mischa Elman and Leopold Godowski were sitting together in the audience and Elman complained that the hall was uncomfortably hot. Godowski replied, "Only for violinists."
John Francis

barney

Re: Fulop Ranki live

Post by barney » Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 pm

John F wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 am
Rach3 wrote:Over-heard in the audience : “ Is it warm in here ? Not for violinists.”
Some here, maybe all, know the origin of that joke. The occasion was Jascha Heifetz's sensational American debut at Carnegie Hall in 1917, age 16. Mischa Elman and Leopold Godowski were sitting together in the audience and Elman complained that the hall was uncomfortably hot. Godowski replied, "Only for violinists."
Yes, it's one of my favourite pieces of musical wit. How pleased with himself Godowski must have been to come up with that line.