Rudolf Buchbinder redux

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Rudolf Buchbinder redux

Post by Rach3 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:01 pm

Why I follow pianist Rudolf Buchbinder ; in fine form here:

Beethoven - Sonate pour piano No. 8 en do mineur, op. 13 ('Pathétique')
Schubert - Quatre Impromptus, D. 899, op. 90.
Beethoven - Sonate pour piano No. 10 en sol majeur, op. 14/2
Beethoven - Sonate pour piano No. 23 en fa mineur, op. 57 ('Appassionata')

Encore : Final mov. of Beethoven’s “Tempest” Sonata, Op. 31, # 2

Enregistré le 22 avril 2017 à Prague

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch- ... id=2352837

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Rudolf Buchbinder redux

Post by Lance » Wed May 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Strange, as much as I love pianists, I haven't followed the career of Buchbinder as much as I might though I have a number of his recordings. The big one, of course, is the original release of his complete Haydn piano sonatas on Warner Classics [63782, 10 CDs], wherein he offers sonatas 1 thru 62 plus unnumbered sonatas and separate pieces. I was so-so on this issue. There was an interesting RCA CD [61562] of the two Brahms cello sonatas and a piece by Schumann wherein he collaborates with Janos Starker and an excellent set on Teldec/Apex/Erato [69223] of Beethoven's five cello sonatas. He accompanies bass-baritone Walter Berry in a live recital of songs on Orfeo [520.991]. I also have in some concerto and chamber music work. There is also an interesting Teldec disc of ALL parts of Beethoven's Diabelli Variations, the only pianist to do so, near as I know. Seems to be an all-embracing pianist ... soloist, concertos, chamber music, accompanist to singers, etc.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:47 pm

I'm a bit surprised other aren't chirping in on Buchbinder? CMGers know his work at all?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:23 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:47 pm
I'm a bit surprised other aren't chirping in on Buchbinder? CMGers know his work at all?
I've heard Buchbinder twice in recital, and once as a concerto soloist (if I recall correctly, it was Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 3). Both recitals were all-Beethoven, and he is clearly a master interpreter of this composer. Here are my impressions from the second of those recitals, which took place on April 26, 2017:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46975

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:25 am

Here is a cheap , delightful cd in my collection of Buchbinder in a different light, playing Strauss transcriptions he sometimes uses as encores after concertos:

http://tinyurl.com/y757qr47

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Ricordanza wrote
Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:04 am :
" The Sonata in E-flat Major, Op. 31, No. 3, is full of fascinating material. The “wrong” notes in the Menuetto are especially intriguing...When I first heard the final movement of the “Tempest” and declared it my favorite, I had not yet heard the final movement of the “Waldstein” Sonata, Op. 53..."

Op.31,# 3 is one of my fav LvB Sonatas, also.Also agree about " Waldstein" and " Tempest." I can play none.

FWW, a fav recording of " Tempest " is Ashkenazy from the late 70's or early 80's on Decca. For "Waldstein", Graffman 60's I believe mine a Columbia lp, Paul Jacobs amazing live on Arbiter, and Horszowski live on the latest Arbiter release.

"Lesser" LvB's I enjoy are Op.2, #3 ; Op.10,# 1; Op.22; Op.79.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 am

When listening to the Beethoven Piano Sonatas I find myself pulling out complete sets, rather than particular favorites, like Op. 111. Claudio Arrau and Russell Sherman, along with Brendel's first set for the Phillips label end up on my playlist once a year each, along with a disc by Solomon. Buchbinder is not on my list: perhaps I should explore his output more. There are better sets of the Haydn sonatas than his, however.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:47 am

Brian, I'm curious. Brendel has recorded the Beethoven 32 on at least three occasions, first for Vox (for me good recordings, except sonics variable throughout, but generally always good pianos and fine interpretations). Then two for Philips (now Decca). You are attracted to Brendel's first set (I guess for the most part). What differences do you find, in general, between that AAD set and the DDD set recorded last? Regarding Claudio Arrau, I generally find his recordings much more musical before his last series of recordings.
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 am
When listening to the Beethoven Piano Sonatas I find myself pulling out complete sets, rather than particular favorites, like Op. 111. Claudio Arrau and Russell Sherman, along with Brendel's first set for the Phillips label end up on my playlist once a year each, along with a disc by Solomon. Buchbinder is not on my list: perhaps I should explore his output more. There are better sets of the Haydn sonatas than his, however.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:09 am

Lance wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:47 am
Brian, I'm curious. Brendel has recorded the Beethoven 32 on at least three occasions, first for Vox (for me good recordings, except sonics variable throughout, but generally always good pianos and fine interpretations). Then two for Philips (now Decca). You are attracted to Brendel's first set (I guess for the most part). What differences do you find, in general, between that AAD set and the DDD set recorded last? Regarding Claudio Arrau, I generally find his recordings much more musical before his last series of recordings.
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 am
Hi Lance!

Of course I'm referring to Brendel's first Phillips set, rather than his set of Beethoven sonatas for Vox. I find his analog Phillips set still filled with youthful energy. In particular, the digital renditions are more ethereal, more intellectual, filled with thoughtful touches here and there. It's really Brendel's evolution on Beethoven, rather than any technical advances in sound quality, that distinguish one from the other. As I say, the youthful energy and beauty of his analog Phillips release is what stands out for me. BOTH are great, I just find his younger set more satisfying. The set for Vox (which I grew up with) is OK, but it lacks the authority of the Phillips renderings.

As for Arrau, while I don't always agree with every note in his 1960's traversal, there is a great deal of musical thought and substance in his interpretation, and occasional forgiveable slowness. An altogether original interpretation but well within the bounds of good taste.

All MHO, of course.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:47 pm

The recent live recital broadcast led to my first hearing of his 2011 Sony cd recordings of the complete set of the Beethoven PC’s on YT .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xyg_NZ ... UiS3ym7NBE

Or , http://tinyurl.com/y8ctpdsw

These are live performances with the Vienna Phil. , conducted also by Buchbinder. Per comments in reviews at Amazon-US, I believe the works were recorded in 2011 at a Saturday evening concert , and then at the very next day Sunday matinee in Vienna ( ! ). The orchestra must have high regard for Buchbinder to do yet another Beethoven PC cycle under such circumstances. A copy of the cd set interestingly says : P 2013 by Rudolf Buchbinder.Under exclusive license to Sony. C 2013 Sony. Distributed by Sony ( with a Warsaw address ).

The are enough distinctive nuances to warrant adding this excellent set to my other Beethoven PC recordings. A bit tentative in the first mov. of # 1, perhaps the first played , but wonderful,Romantic slow movs. in all the concertos , very sweeping playing, “ con brio “ in all the concertos . The orchestra was fully engaged ; neither the pianism nor conducting seemed to suffer from Buchbinder’s dual role ; not sure he could have pulled this off with another band. IF the YT’s are evidence, the sound appears very good. Meat on the bones in # 2 ; # 3rd notable for an extra dose of “ sunlight “ throughout ; the first mov. of # 4 may be too dramatic, assertive , but an interesting contrast to more “reverent” readings , its final mov. wonderful contrasts ; the rubato in the slow, lyrical section of the first mov. of “Emperor “ , and its second mov. here , sealed the deal for me.

Opinions expressed here meant to encourage listening, not meant ex cathedra.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:57 am

That was a good re-read of your impressions of Buchbinder, and a fine analysis of what you heard.

As one reviewer pointed out, Buchbinder is not as well known on the North American side of the Atlantic than he is in Europe. But a look at his discography is all-embracing, including heavy Beethoven, Haydn, as you might expect, but also Liszt, Chopin, Schubert, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Bach, Strauss, Jr., and so much more, including concertos, and chamber music. A reviewer also pointed out that Buchbinder was not much of a "colourist," - which is the same situation I find in his recordings. His live recordings (Orfeo label and others) give a different view of his art in this respect. Just today, I received his Teldec/Apex recording of Strauss, Jr.'s waltz transcriptions by well-known composer-pianists of the past (Grunfeld, Schutt, Dohnany, Schulhof, and Schulz-Evler) that might give me yet another indication of Buchbinder's pianistic prowess.
Ricordanza wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:23 am
Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:47 pm
I've heard Buchbinder twice in recital, and once as a concerto soloist (if I recall correctly, it was Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 3). Both recitals were all-Beethoven, and he is clearly a master interpreter of this composer. Here are my impressions from the second of those recitals, which took place on April 26, 2017:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46975
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:55 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:57 am
Just today, I received his Teldec/Apex recording of Strauss, Jr.'s waltz transcriptions by well-known composer-pianists of the past (Grunfeld, Schutt, Dohnany, Schulhof, and Schulz-Evler) that might give me yet another indication of Buchbinder's pianistic prowess.
I have that Apex cd, and enjoy it greatly. Sparkling pianism, with some color. I've heard Buchbinder play these Strauss as encores after a Beethoven concerto performance.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:24 pm

I heard this Strauss, Jr. disc in total today. I am very impressed with this recording of Buchbinder more than I thought I would. Wonderful pianism, and as you say, lots of "color," but superb technique and tonal quality. Wonderful piano in this recording, too! Glad to have this disc.
Rach3 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:55 am
I have that Apex cd, and enjoy it greatly. Sparkling pianism, with some color. I've heard Buchbinder play these Strauss as encores after a Beethoven concerto performance.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief