Strange - at Best Buy!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Strange - at Best Buy!

Post by Lance » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:26 pm

I ran out of jewel cases for single CDs, I usually have 100 or more around to replace broken parts. I went to Best Buy to buy a 10-pack. They were nowhere to be found. Then I asked about acquiring a portable CD player that can be plugged into the USB port in my car, a RAV 4 Limited, fully equipped except no CD player. (Apparently car makers are not putting CD players in new cars any longer since Sirius XM Radio has come along.) I do have that. They did not have any portable CD players made especially for cars.

Then, I was told, Best Buy is gradually doing away with anything to do with CD equipment since "everyone is downloading today." I found that hard to believe. In the USA, are we seeing the demise of the CD and players? Are we going the way of the cassette tape recorders/players, which, in my mind, still have a place for use in our world?

Well, I was frustrated.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Strange - at Best Buy!

Post by maestrob » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 am

CD players are available by the dozen on amazon: there are even a few portables and DVD recorders, if you have a hankering. Best Buy has been on the financial edge for some time, so I guess they've made the decision to eliminate certain items. I tried to buy a DVD recorder there about two years ago and couldn't find any, which was frustrating.

I know that the last factory for parts for VHS players has closed, and amazon has used VHS recorders going for unbelievably high prices, so Len, take note!

When the CD came out, the industry thought it would herald the death of vinyl, yet popular demand has kept turntables in the market. I predict the same will happen with CDs. Just in case, however, I'm holding on to an extra CD player in storage :lol:!

John F

Post by John F » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:48 am

Classical music people may still prefer to have the physical discs, but they're a very small part of the market. Over where the big money is, buyers prefer to download individual songs to their iPods. I'm sure there will always be CD players as there are still analog turntables, some capable of 78 rpm. But mass marketers like Best Buy appear unwilling to give them floor space in their stores.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:56 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:26 pm
In the USA, are we seeing the demise of the CD and players? Are we going the way of the cassette tape recorders/players, which, in my mind, still have a place for use in our world?

Well, I was frustrated.
Lance it's gotten much harder-I could use a new CD player-my current one is the right size for the space it has to be in and can play 3 CD's in a row-problem is it opens up by itself sometimes and is very annoying as I have to stop my cooking in the kitchen and go in and start it up again-Yesterday I had to listen to the first 5 minutes of Shostakovich's 5th sym 3 times until it played through. I will give Amazon a try and see what's left. I've been told that DVD/VCR combos are still available but the ones I still use at times are working fine-this after many years of use. Regards, Len

barney

Post by barney » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:33 am

I don't think there's any diminution in top-end CD players. Not sure about the more budget end.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:02 am

barney wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:33 am
Not sure about the more budget end.
Barney yeah-that's the kind I have always gotten-I may have to spring for a higher priced one at some point. Regards, Len
Last edited by lennygoran on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beckmesser

Post by Beckmesser » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:53 am

Crutchfield is still selling car CD players.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:00 am

Thank you, thank you! I'll check them out. Appreciate it.
Beckmesser wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:53 am
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:57 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:00 am
Thank you, thank you! I'll check them out. Appreciate it.
Beckmesser wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:53 am
If your car's receiver has a line input that takes a stereo mini-jack (like you see on headphones) you should be able to connect a portable CD player to it via the player's headphone jack.

With Micro SD cards of 256 GB or greater, many people rip their CDs to mp3 using a high bit-rate (320 kbps) and copy the files to a large storage card in their phone and then pair the phone to the car receiver via Bluetooth. The results can be very good and it's an easy way to carry your real favorites with you.

John

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:25 am

The ULINE catalog is an excellent source for CD jewel cases. That's where I get mine.
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... US-Hu5PGxE
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:25 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:02 am
barney wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:33 am
Not sure about the more budget end.
Barney yeah-that's the kind I have always gotten-I may have to spring for a higher priced one at some point. Regards, Len
I have two hifis at home. One is in the "music room", and is pretty good but almost never used. The other was assembled quite expensively (5 figures) by an expert friend. It has what is called a CD transport, rather than a CD player. No doubt someone can explain the technology. This resides in the study, where I live most of my life, and brings considerable pleasure.
My point in saying this is that the transport was much the cheapest component. Cables alone cost far more. "High end" doesn't have to cost the earth.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:13 am

barney wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:25 pm
The other was assembled quite expensively (5 figures) by an expert friend.
Whew! Did the 5 figures have any periods in among them-for example $100.00! Regards, Len [fleeing]

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:22 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:13 am
barney wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:25 pm
The other was assembled quite expensively (5 figures) by an expert friend.
Whew! Did the 5 figures have any periods in among them-for example $100.00! Regards, Len [fleeing]
:lol:
That would have been nice.
I can now demonstrate the figures (and my age): Sophia Loren, Michelle Pfeiffer, Bridget Bardot, Jane Fonda, and Renee Fleming.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:20 pm

barney wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:22 pm
I can now demonstrate the figures (and my age): Sophia Loren, Michelle Pfeiffer, Bridget Bardot, Jane Fonda, and Renee Fleming.
Barney I always thought you had good taste! Regards, Len :D