An evening of superb piano music

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

An evening of superb piano music

Post by Belle » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:01 am

Schumann Piano Sonata #3 in F Minor:

I love Schumann very dearly and am really enjoying this Sonata #3 this evening, played here by Bernd Glemser whom I well remember from an early Sydney International Piano Competition.

This really is a splendid work and I especially love the second movement, Scherzo. This work looks challenging to play with all the sharps, flats and double flats!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EClZICLRxrE

Following by Granados - Goyescas played by Alicia de Larrocha. Again, these look so difficult to play, but what magnificent music!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0aVTPvYQ4Y

Ricordanza

Re: An evening of superb piano music

Post by Ricordanza » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:00 am

Belle wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:01 am
Following by Granados - Goyescas played by Alicia de Larrocha. Again, these look so difficult to play, but what magnificent music!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0aVTPvYQ4Y
In my piano student days, inspired by this very same recording, I bought the music and tried to learn one of these pieces. My piano teacher didn't discourage me, but he didn't recommend this either. I guess he knew what the outcome would be--all I succeeded in doing was tying my fingers up in knots.

Ever since then, I'm just a listener. Alicia de Larrocha is the premier interpreter of this gorgeous music.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:20 am

Belle wrote:
Schumann Piano Sonata #3 in F Minor
I love Schumann very dearly and am really enjoying this Sonata #3 this evening,
Horowitz recorded the work for RCA in 1976 or 1977 . I heard him play it live in 1975 or 1976 as the entire first half of a recital. Not a work I've ever warmed to, but it has been years so I will listen again, thanks for the reminder.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:20 am
Belle wrote:
Schumann Piano Sonata #3 in F Minor
I love Schumann very dearly and am really enjoying this Sonata #3 this evening,
Horowitz recorded the work for RCA in 1976 or 1977 . I heard him play it live in 1975 or 1976 as the entire first half of a recital. Not a work I've ever warmed to, but it has been years so I will listen again, thanks for the reminder.
Somehow I love this Schumann Sonata and it's "Clara theme".

Goyescas; I just love this. The death of Granados was just awful - a passenger ferry in the English channel torpedoed in WW1 - when he and his wife were both killed, leaving 6 children.

My ears may have played tricks on me in the Rachmaninov on MediciTV which I earlier discussed. It certainly was a 'percussive' reading with much of the poetry parked at a siding!! Perhaps you are right and this is the reason I misheard some of the passages. I really don't know.