Famous Father Girl by Jamie Bernstein

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Ricordanza

Famous Father Girl by Jamie Bernstein

Post by Ricordanza » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:21 pm

This book exceeded my expectations. I was anticipating a book that provided some interesting anecdotes about Leonard Bernstein and his family from the viewpoint of his eldest daughter. But it’s so much more. Yes, Jamie provides lots of entertaining anecdotes and the book can be enjoyed on that level. In addition to being a musical genius, Leonard Bernstein was an outsized personality, so there’s no shortage of fascinating material. However, the heart of the book is the author’s struggle to cope with the burdens and benefits of growing up in this unique household. For many years, her response was, in essence, the title phrase for the Sixties and Seventies: Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. Although she had some limited success as a singer and songwriter, she eventually learned to accept the fact that she had to find a different path as an individual. Jamie Bernstein presents an honest portrait of her father—and herself—and her writing is engaging and, at times, moving. I highly recommend this book.