George Dreyfus

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

George Dreyfus

Post by Belle » Sun May 12, 2019 4:33 pm

This composer disrupted a performance of "Rigoletto" in Melbourne by shouting at the orchestra with a megaphone from the stalls. Like father, like son; his son will soon be our Attorney General if the polls are right - as early as next weekend. Son Mark loves digging dirt and wants to beef up our Human Rights body to make sure people don't get to say anything he doesn't agree with! :?: (Shudder)

https://neighbourhoodpaper.com/features/the-lost-opera/

John F

Re: George Dreyfus

Post by John F » Sun May 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Sorry, but topics like this belong in the Corner Pub, not here.
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun May 12, 2019 4:49 pm

John F wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:45 pm
Sorry, but topics like this belong in the Corner Pub, not here.
Yes, I thought about that; but the topic is about a composer and his work and the lengths he'll go to combat rejection. And the impact of this influences the next generation in the family. It's singularly unedifying to see the composer prostrate across a doorway in that image. But the Dreyfus family never takes 'no' for an answer.

If you want it moved I have zero objections, however.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:54 pm

Belle wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:33 pm
Son Mark loves digging dirt and wants to beef up our Human Rights body to make sure people don't get to say anything he doesn't agree with.
Is he a Trump fan ?

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun May 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:54 pm
Belle wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:33 pm
Son Mark loves digging dirt and wants to beef up our Human Rights body to make sure people don't get to say anything he doesn't agree with.
Is he a Trump fan ?
Quite the opposite!! But do read the article and tell me what you think about Dreyfus senior's situation.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 13, 2019 8:39 am

What a story! ....And his son is soon to be AG? Talk about friends in high places! Thank-you Belle for making my day an interesting one.

barney

Post by barney » Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 pm

Actually, I was in the audience! It was the opening night of Opera Australia's Melbourne autumn season. Dreyfus senior was in the very front row, with an electronic megaphone he couldn't make work. The ushers weren't game to touch him - probably rightly, as he is 91 and very frail - so had to wait for the police, and the opera was delayed a full-half hour. A friend of mine is having coffee with Dreyfus today, so I might learn more.
Some years ago, Dreyfus and three or four others were handing out leaflets on the same subject (OA's failure to perform his opera) outside the hall as I came in.
I don't know anyone who has seen the score, so can't say whether the opera is any good.
It was very tedious as he shouted, and mostly the audience were pretty patient, but a bit of a mob reaction was starting (shouting only) which made me a bit uncomfortable. Mind you, I believe Dreyfus, a Jew, lived in Berlin in the 1930s, so I expect it was water off a duck's back.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon May 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Oh, so you were there!! At the coalface, so to say. Perhaps he has a bit of Dementia, being 91 and all; that can make them very aggressive.

barney

Post by barney » Mon May 13, 2019 10:12 pm

He seemed stubborn rather than aggressive - quite implacable. I was in Row N, about 13 rows back, and while he raised his voice it was declamatory rather than angry. He certainly has a chip on his shoulder, as your link points out.
When the opera did begin, it was outstanding - it's the venerable Elijah Moshinsky production, which I must have seen four times, but freshened up nicely. I didn't have high expectations, house cast apart from a Mongolian (!!) baritone and an Armenian tenor. The Mongolian, Amartuvshin Enkhbat, was a tremendous Rigoletto. The Duke sang beautifully, if a little undervoiced at times, Melbourne soprano Stacey Alleaume made a big step forward with her debut as Gilda.
There, JohnF, we get back to music eventually. :)

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue May 14, 2019 2:02 am

Excellent that you're able to get to all those performances in Melbourne. Sounds like a good evening, apart from the disruption.

What do you make of the Dreyfus case (cough) otherwise? Do you think he has one, in light of that link I included? I don't know anything about George's composing except some of the film and television music, eg. this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZZBxJ3CrD8

barney

Post by barney » Tue May 14, 2019 6:19 pm

I asked a conductor friend whether the opera had any merit, and he didn't know. I've never heard it, and like you know very little of Dreyfus' music. I don't feel this is a lack in my life.