Wharton's The Age of Innocence

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Wharton's The Age of Innocence

Post by jserraglio » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:13 am

Currently reading Edith Wharton. She's Henry James without the heartburn. So far I can image most every scene from the flick as I read the book. Like Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, The Age of Innocence has many new words and concepts that I need to look up (a painless process when you read using Kindle.

John F

Re: Wharton's The Age of Innocence

Post by John F » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:35 am

I read "Ethan Frome" in college and enjoyed it, but didn't go on to read any more Wharton. In fact I've lost my taste for serious fiction; instead I read detective stories and spy novels when I read fiction at all. (Currently John Le Carré's "Smiley's People," after watching the BBC dramatization on YouTube).

Kindle is great in a number of ways. No need for a placemark when you take a break, it automatically saves your place, and nowadays I appreciate being able to choose the type size. But for nonfiction I still want printed books if they are indexed (not all of them are), as searching in Kindle is tiresome for me.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:35 pm

John F wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:35 am
Kindle is great in a number of ways.... But for nonfiction I still want printed books if they are indexed (not all of them are), as searching in Kindle is tiresome for me.
I've only bought one book on Kindle, Things Fall Apart and that was for a class I teach. All the others I borrow from the three libraries I have access to.

In fact I bought David McCullough's latest (Pioneers, 2019) in hardbound the same day it came out, but am actually reading a library copy on Kindle. It never expires if you don't close it, so one can read at leisure. Excellent book, BTW, in spite of the negative reviews of it (WAPO and NYT) as serious academic history b/c it is too sympathetic to the original settlers of the "Ohio Country".

John F

Post by John F » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:46 pm

So far I haven't bought any Kindle books; thanks to the three major public libraries here (New York, Brooklyn, Queens) most of the books people want to read can be had for free, especially the more recent ones. Some of the best things in life are free.
John Francis