Trpčeski LSO and Altinoglu

Have you been to a concert somewhere in the world recently? Share your thoughts with us about the performance, the more details the better!

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Philip M

Trpčeski LSO and Altinoglu

Post by Philip M » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:37 pm

I was at The Barbican last Thursday for the LSO’s concert under the French conductor Alain Altinoglu. I was there primarily to hear the Macedonian pianist Simon Trpčeski in Rachmaninov’s 2nd Concerto. Simon (who I should disclose is a friend of mine) has such an outgoing and warm personality, which was demonstrated before he even sat down - he addressed the audience saying that he was dedicating this performance to the birthday boy, namely the Maestro (much to his embarrassment!).

He then gave a stunning performance of the old warhorse. What was especially impressive was the way that so many inner details of the piano writing that are often obscured were brought out. And his “chamber music” interaction with orchestra members was, as ever, so important. The music flowed and was romantic, but never sentimental.

The audience loved it and gave him a standing ovation, demanding more. Which he gave us - the lovely “Song” by Evgeny Svetlanov (yes the late conductor) for violin and piano, in which Simon was joined by the LSO’s leader of the night Roman Simovic.

The Rachmaninov was topped and tailed by Mussorgsky. The hors d’oeuvre was the Overture to Sorochintsy Fair (an opera I have not seen) and the substantial dessert was another warhorse - Pictures at an Exhibition in the usual Ravel orchestration. What struck me most was just how good Ravel’s orchestration is. One tends to forget. Impressive stuff!

Incidentally it is a very long time since since I heard the piano version live. The last one I heard was Demidenko in 2011 and before that it was Freddy Kempf in 2005 and Kissin in 2002. Who’s performing it these days I wonder?

Philip

Ricordanza

Re: Trpčeski LSO and Altinoglu

Post by Ricordanza » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:08 am

Philip M wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:37 pm
Incidentally it is a very long time since since I heard the piano version live. The last one I heard was Demidenko in 2011 and before that it was Freddy Kempf in 2005 and Kissin in 2002. Who’s performing it these days I wonder?
Now that you mention it, it's been a while since I've heard this piece performed. The last time for me was a superb performance by Vladimir Feltsman in 2006.

Thanks for your review, Philip.