David Brooks: The Second Mountain: The Quest for a Moral Life

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

David Brooks: The Second Mountain: The Quest for a Moral Life

Post by jserraglio » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:08 pm

Deep and wide ranging. Beautifully written book by a Burkean conservative.

Belle

Re: David Brooks: The Second Mountain: The Quest for a Moral Life

Post by Belle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:36 pm

I admire David Brooks from seeing him on "The News Hour" with Mark Shields. Other than that, I know nothing of his work. I just looked at the review in the NYT and it's a personal journey. This is usually the stuff of Jordan Peterson, so I might easily read it. Looks like a good read!!

The review says Brooks is/was a 'workaholic'. I'm sure he's explained his understanding of it in the book, but psychologists now say that this is an avoidance strategy for people who have poor interpersonal relationships and/or problems with intimacy.

I'm being gifted "The Madness of Crowds" by Douglas Murray (they asked me what I wanted) as a thank-you gift for my work in our music group - as I'll no longer be co-ordinating the group and doing its programming.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:59 am

Belle wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:36 pm
I admire David Brooks from seeing him on "The News Hour" with Mark Shields. Other than that, I know nothing of his work.
Me too. Never read a word he wrote till now, stumbled upon it in my wife's Kindle library.

More than a confessional spiritual journey, also an intellectual odyssey and a stirring call for the reintegration of the individual into a lost moral community. I admire Edmund Burke, George Orwell and Wm. F. Buckley, and Brooks has been influenced by all three and a slew of Jewish thinkers I've barely heard of. Brooks writes well, which helps.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:12 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:59 am
Belle wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:36 pm
I admire David Brooks from seeing him on "The News Hour" with Mark Shields. Other than that, I know nothing of his work.
Me too. Never read a word he wrote till now, stumbled upon it in my wife's Kindle library.

More than a confessional spiritual journey, also an intellectual odyssey and a stirring call for the reintegration of the individual into a lost moral community. I admire Edmund Burke, George Orwell and Wm. F. Buckley, and Brooks has been influenced by all three and a slew of Jewish thinkers I've barely heard of. Brooks writes well, which helps.
I'll definitely read it, then.