GOP to take the gloves off this week in effort to delegitimize impeachment probe

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

GOP to take the gloves off this week in effort to delegitimize impeachment probe

Post by jserraglio » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:39 pm

WAPO

As the impeachment inquiry into President Trump moves to the House Judiciary Committee, Republicans signaled Sunday that they will mount an aggressive campaign to delegitimize the process, accusing Democrats of rushing the proceedings as the White House debates whether to participate at all.
Speaking on “Fox News Sunday,” Rep. Douglas A. Collins (Ga.), the top Republican on the Judiciary Committee, indicated that the GOP would continue its all-out effort to attack the Democratic-led impeachment process. But he declined to say whether Republicans would take advantage of the complete range of opportunities they will have to make their case against Trump’s removal.
Calendar: What’s next in the Trump impeachment inquiry
The remarks from Collins and other Republicans on Sunday reflected a conflict inside the GOP over the extent to which Trump and his congressional defenders ought to participate in a process they have spent more than two months attacking as unfair and corrupt.
Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Calif.), a Judiciary Committee member, said on ABC News’s “This Week” that he thought it “would be to the president’s advantage” to have counsel participate in the upcoming hearings.
“But I can also understand how he is upset at the illegitimate process that we saw unfold in the Intelligence Committee,” he added.
Collins attacked the speedy timeline that Democratic leaders are pursuing, one that appears aimed at concluding an impeachment vote in the House before Christmas rather, he argued, than providing appropriate due process for the president.
“They want to get this president right now before everybody completely sees through the process sham of the elections for next year,” Collins said. “So we’re rushing this.”
Democrats on the Judiciary Committee said Sunday that Republicans were trying to distract from Trump’s wrongdoing by raising objections to the impeachment process without challenging the facts that have been gathered.
The Judiciary Committee is set to hear Wednesday from four constitutional scholars who are expected to testify on the standards for impeachment — three chosen by Democrats, one by Republicans. Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), the panel’s chairman, has not yet named the witnesses, prompting protests from Collins, despite the matter being handled in accordance with House rules.
Some Republicans on Sunday predicted that the impeachment inquiry will take a turn for the combative once it reaches Nadler’s committee.
“It’s a bunch of brawlers sometimes on the Judiciary Committee, so it should get pretty hot and under the collar as we go along,” Rep. Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.), who sits on the panel, said in an interview with Fox News Channel’s Mike Emanuel on “Sunday Morning Futures.” “I don’t think things have been done the way they’ve been done in the past, Mike, and so it causes some rancor and it should be pretty — much more feisty, I would say, than the Intel Committee was.”
Collins said Sunday that he was not sure whether Trump would avail himself of the due-process protections that Nadler has offered, including the right to present evidence, suggest witnesses, and cross-examine those whom Democrats call to testify. In a Friday letter, Nadler set a Dec. 6 deadline for the White House to decide on the scope of its participation.
“We’re certainly hoping that the president, his counsel, will take advantage of that opportunity if he has not done anything wrong,” Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.) said on “This Week.” “We’re certainly anxious to hear his explanation of that.”
There were few indications of Trump’s thinking Sunday morning. The president had sent two tweets about World AIDS Day as of early afternoon and was spending the second day in a row at his golf course in West Palm Beach, Fla., after returning early Friday from a Thanksgiving visit to U.S. troops in Afghanistan.
On Saturday night, the president had tweeted out links to opinion pieces from Trump-friendly media outlets defending his actions and criticizing the impeachment process as “wasting time.”
Collins said Sunday that he understood why the White House might skip participating in the Wednesday hearing, calling it “just another rerun” covering ground already surveyed in previous Judiciary Committee hearings.
“This is a complete American waste of time right here,” he said.
But he added that Republicans would be more keen to participate in future hearings — particularly one examining the findings of the House Intelligence Committee as prepared by its chairman, Rep. Adam B. Schiff (D-Calif.).
The panel is set to meet Tuesday to approve the release of its report on Trump’s dealings with Ukraine.
Collins on Sunday renewed calls for Schiff personally to testify, indicating that he would face intense questioning from Republicans on the role his committee played in shepherding the whistleblower complaint that exposed Trump’s irregular dealings with Ukraine, among other matters.
The Republican congressman noted that Schiff has compared the panel’s fact-finding process to that of the independent prosecutors who examined matters that led to impeachment proceedings against president Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton. In those cases, Collins noted, those prosecutors subjected themselves to congressional questioning.
“He’s put himself into that position,” Collins said. “It’s easy to hide behind a report. It’s easy to hide behind a gavel and the Intelligence Committee’s behind-closed-door hearings. But it’s going to be another thing to actually get up and have to answer questions.”
Demings said Democrats were “not going to play any games” with Republicans and called on Trump to end his stonewall of Democrats’ witness and document demands.
“They want to … play a political game and tie the process up in the courts as long as they can and run the clock out,” she said. “We’re not willing to play that game.”
Some Democrats on Sunday intensified their criticism of Trump’s alleged efforts to pressure Ukraine.
Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), who is running for president, described the impeachment inquiry as a constitutional obligation and likened the president’s actions to a “global Watergate.”
“James Madison said that the reason we needed impeachment provisions is that he feared that a president would betray the trust of the people to a foreign power,” Klobuchar said on NBC News’s “Meet the Press.” “That’s why this is proceeding. I see it simply as a global Watergate.”
Just as Nixon delegated people to get dirt on a political opponent, Klobuchar added, “that’s basically what this president has done on a global basis.”
Sen. John Neely Kennedy (R-La.), meanwhile, argued that both Russia and Ukraine interfered in the 2016 presidential election, despite the intelligence community’s assessment that only Russia did so.
The comments mark Kennedy’s latest attempt to shift the focus away from the U.S. intelligence community’s conclusion that Russia worked to help elect Trump, following a Fox News Channel interview last week from which he later backtracked.
“I think both Russia and Ukraine meddled in the 2016 election,” Kennedy told host Chuck Todd on “Meet the Press” on Sunday.
Todd pressed Kennedy on whether he was concerned that he had been “duped” by Russian propaganda, noting reports that U.S. intelligence officials recently briefed senators that “this is a Russian intelligence propaganda campaign in order to get people like you to say these things about Ukraine.”
Kennedy responded that he had received no such warning.
“I wasn’t briefed. Dr. Hill is entitled to her opinion,” Kennedy said, referring to former National Security Council Russia adviser Fiona Hill, who testified in the impeachment inquiry last month.
In her public testimony, Hill had warned that several Trump allies had spread unfounded allegations that Ukraine, rather than Russia, had interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
“This is a fictional narrative that has been perpetrated and propagated by the Russian security services,” she said.
Abigail Hauslohner contributed to this report.
Mike DeBonis covers Congress, with a focus on the House, for The Washington Post. He previously covered D.C. politics and government from 2007 to 2015.
Felicia Sonmez is a national political reporter covering breaking news from the White House, Congress and the campaign trail. She was previously based in Beijing, where she worked for Agence France-Presse and The Wall Street Journal.
Democracy Dies in Darkness
© 1996-2019 The Washington Post

lennygoran

Re: GOP to take the gloves off this week in effort to delegitimize impeachment probe

Post by lennygoran » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:21 pm

Joseph can't seem to find if the hearings will be televised-any idea? Regards, Len

Rach3

Re: GOP to take the gloves off this week in effort to delegitimize impeachment probe

Post by Rach3 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:47 pm

Thank goodness I changed my voter registration from GOP to Independent in 1988.I’d be tempted to equate the GOP with whores and Quislings, but that would be giving whores and Quislings a bad name, same for sycophants ,bullies,racists,xenophobes,frauds and cowards.Besides,GOP has no shame anyway and apparently own only non-reflective mirrors. The real tragedy is 40% of Americans have to date been completely suckered by the Trumpsters.We have met the enemy and he is us.If Trump wins in 2020, the concept and potential of “America” will have become meaningless,an interesting but short lived historical aberration.Hopefully,the rest of the currently free World understands this fact; Putin,Xi,Kim,Erdogan,Orban,MBS,Bolsonaro do.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:08 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:47 pm
Thank goodness I changed my voter registration from GOP to Independent in 1988.I’d be tempted to equate the GOP with whores and Quislings, but that would be giving whores and Quislings a bad name, same for sycophants ,bullies,racists,xenophobes,frauds and cowards.Besides,GOP has no shame anyway and apparently own only non-reflective mirrors. The real tragedy is 40% of Americans have to date been completely suckered by the Trumpsters.We have met the enemy and he is us.If Trump wins in 2020, the concept and potential of “America” will have become meaningless,an interesting but short lived historical aberration.Hopefully,the rest of the currently free World understands this fact; Putin,Xi,Kim,Erdogan,Orban,MBS,Bolsonaro do.
There's a well-known, tried and tested epithet which relates to electioneering for all political parties; "it's the economy, stupid". Then there's the "kiss" principle: "keep it simple, stupid". All the rest is folderol.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Belle wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:08 pm
There's a well-known, tried and tested epithet which relates to electioneering for all political parties; "it's the economy, stupid". Then there's the "kiss" principle: "keep it simple, stupid". All the rest is folderol.
Trump and his GOP are a unique threat America, at least, has not experienced since the Axis powers. Aussie PM's Howard and Morrison are kindred souls to Trump.Good luck Down Under.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:31 pm
Belle wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:08 pm
Trump and his GOP are a unique threat America, at least, has not experienced since the Axis powers. Aussie PM's Howard and Morrison are kindred souls to Trump.Good luck Down Under.
It obviously annoys you that PM Morrison has been over at the USA with Trump; he travels very widely and meets other world leaders too. I expect Boris Johnson will be over to visit him too, after the next UK election (which he is certain to win).

You might be surprised to learn that the vast majority of Australians couldn't care less about Donald Trump!! I'm one of them.

barney

Post by barney » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:32 pm

But some of us care very passionately indeed. I'm one of them. :D

barney

Post by barney » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:35 pm

Also, I'm not sure you're entitled to speak for "the vast majority of Australians", and no more am I. Most of the ones I know do care, at least somewhat, but capital city differs from regional city, and all the other factors separating us. I think there's a general nervousness about the rise of a belligerent China and the decline of the US, about the trade wars and much else. It may be low level, but it's there.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:02 pm

barney wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:35 pm
Also, I'm not sure you're entitled to speak for "the vast majority of Australians", and no more am I. Most of the ones I know do care, at least somewhat, but capital city differs from regional city, and all the other factors separating us. I think there's a general nervousness about the rise of a belligerent China and the decline of the US, about the trade wars and much else. It may be low level, but it's there.
I don't set myself up as speaking for the vast majority; I only go by what I see. And read. Australians know as I do; that today's rooster is tomorrow's feather duster.

Turn on cable TV from the USA, by contrast, and all you get is endless yap, yap, yap about Trump with everybody pontificating, talking over and shouting at everybody else. This is not a feature of Australian TV!! They'd much rather watch cooks compete to make the perfect souffle - probably a good metaphor anyway.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:34 pm

Belle wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:02 pm
Turn on cable TV from the USA, by contrast, and all you get is endless yap, yap, yap about Trump with everybody pontificating, talking over and shouting at everybody else.
Belle not the shows I watch on MSNBC-Rachel, Lawrence, Brian--on these shows crooked lying bullying Trump has to go-they all agree! Regards, Len [LOCK HIM UP]

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 pm

That's called "confirmation bias"!!! I shouldn't worry anyway because if Trump is so bad he won't be re-elected. You only have a year to wait. Focus on the garden in the meantime; it's far less stressful.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 am

Belle wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 pm
I shouldn't worry anyway because if Trump is so bad he won't be re-elected. You only have a year to wait.
Belle you're forgetting one thing-he tries to have our enemies in foreign countries meddle in our elections-this could help him win again and continue to try to establish a dictatorship. Did you forget how he called on Russia to get him the emails-the man is more dangerous than you might think. The case on the Ukraine matter and his obstruction is as clear as day. Now I'm keeping my eye on reprehensible Devin Gerald Nunes! Regards, Len

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:33 pm

I know it's bloody cold over there right now, but the flowers will be back again with their shining faces and vigorous push towards the sun.

Life is too short for worrying about all this political stuff; I feel that very strongly just now.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Belle wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:33 pm
but the flowers will be back again with their shining faces and vigorous push towards the sun.Life is too short for worrying about all this political stuff; I feel that very strongly just now.
Belle I have no worry about the flowers-yes I know they'll be back. My worry is that Trump will be back. Regards, Len :(