Pianist Marc-Andre Hamelin live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
Rach3
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Pianist Marc-Andre Hamelin live

Post by Rach3 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:51 am

I heard this Radio Belgium Francaise broadcast earlier, or another with this same programme . The Feinberg’s rarely heard although so far I dont think Hamelin has ventured into the remaining 10 Feinberg pianos sonatas, all of which are on 2 wonderful BIS cd’s by other pianists.


Enregistré le 20/06/2018 au Yamaha Hall, Tokyo

Joseph Haydn - Sonate en Do Majeur pour piano, Hob. XVI:48

Samuil Feinberg (1890-1962) - Sonate No. 2 en la mineur pour piano, op. 2
- Sonate No. 1 en La Majeur pour piano, op. 1

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) - Sonate No. 23 en fa mineur pour piano, op. 57 ('Appassionata')

Marc-André Hamelin - Toccata sur 'L'homme armé' (bis)
Claude Debussy - Reflets dans l'eau, extrait des 'Images livre 1 (bis)
- Feux d'artifice, extrait des Préludes Livre 2 (bis)
Robert Schumann - Abschied, from 'Waldszenen, op. 82' (bis)

Marc-André Hamelin, piano

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concer ... id=2577364

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18432
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Pianist Marc-Andre Hamelin live

Post by Lance » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:40 am

Performed at Tokyo's Yamaha Hall. I wonder if he played a Yamaha concert grand or used his favoured Steinway? [Seems to me that may answer itself!]
Rach3 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:51 am
I heard this Radio Belgium Francaise broadcast earlier, or another with this same programme . The Feinberg’s rarely heard although so far I dont think Hamelin has ventured into the remaining 10 Feinberg pianos sonatas, all of which are on 2 wonderful BIS cd’s by other pianists.


Enregistré le 20/06/2018 au Yamaha Hall, Tokyo

Joseph Haydn - Sonate en Do Majeur pour piano, Hob. XVI:48

Samuil Feinberg (1890-1962) - Sonate No. 2 en la mineur pour piano, op. 2
- Sonate No. 1 en La Majeur pour piano, op. 1

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) - Sonate No. 23 en fa mineur pour piano, op. 57 ('Appassionata')

Marc-André Hamelin - Toccata sur 'L'homme armé' (bis)
Claude Debussy - Reflets dans l'eau, extrait des 'Images livre 1 (bis)
- Feux d'artifice, extrait des Préludes Livre 2 (bis)
Robert Schumann - Abschied, from 'Waldszenen, op. 82' (bis)

Marc-André Hamelin, piano

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concer ... id=2577364
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Rach3
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: Pianist Marc-Andre Hamelin live

Post by Rach3 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:30 am

The second half of Marc-André Hamelin's piano recital at Kioi Hall, Tokyo, Japan in 2002, consisting of works by Karol Szymanowski. (Set YT “ Quality “ up to 480p )

Mazurkas, op. 50
No. 1
No. 2
No. 3
No. 4
No. 13
No. 15
No. 6


Piano Sonata No. 2


Encores:
Marc-André Hamelin - Se tu m'ami after Pergolesi from "Con intimissimo sentimento"
Marc-André Hamelin - Etude No. 6, Omaggio a Domenico Scarlatti

Wonderful,all.Amazing Sonata.Believe I glimpsed the Steinway logo above the keyboard during the Mazurka No. 4 and in the Sonata.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBlxVdN4KYU

Belle
Posts: 2435
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Re: Pianist Marc-Andre Hamelin live

Post by Belle » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Wonderful!! Thank you for posting this. I really admire this pianist and will listen again this morning while I'm polishing the silver for Christmas day. (Where's Hyacinth Bucket??)

Rach3
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: Pianist Marc-Andre Hamelin live

Post by Rach3 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:55 pm

Belle wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:34 pm
Wonderful!! Thank you for posting this. I really admire this pianist and will listen again this morning while I'm polishing the silver for Christmas day. (Where's Hyacinth Bucket??)
It's " Bouquet " .

Holden Fourth
Posts: 1473
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:47 am

Re: Pianist Marc-Andre Hamelin live

Post by Holden Fourth » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:23 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:55 pm
Belle wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:34 pm
Wonderful!! Thank you for posting this. I really admire this pianist and will listen again this morning while I'm polishing the silver for Christmas day. (Where's Hyacinth Bucket??)
It's " Bouquet " .
:lol:

Belle
Posts: 2435
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Re: Pianist Marc-Andre Hamelin live

Post by Belle » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:26 pm

I love this recording of Gershwin by Marc-Andre Hamelin: wonderful vignettes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9o6PPSL88

maestrob
Posts: 6816
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Pianist Marc-Andre Hamelin live

Post by maestrob » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:00 pm

Just finished listening to this. Hamelin's one of my favorite pianists, not just for his unearthing of forgotten music and obscure composers, but also for his superb readings of mainstream composers (His performances of the Brahms Piano Quartets on Hyperion are, for me, the best on record.). Here we have an truly outstanding performance of the Beethoven "Appassionata" Sonata, coupled with 2 early sonatas by the Russian composer Feinberg, in passionate readings that bring out the best in this music. The encores are quite special, including acomposition (2016) by the pianist himself, and two delectable selections by Debussy. All-in-all, this was a first-rate experience, and highly recommended.

Thanks for posting this! :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests