Play some BPO

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

slofstra

Play some BPO

Post by slofstra » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:16 pm

The BPO is sharing a series of recent performances conducted by Kirill Petrenko at no cost.

Here is the link.

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/playlist/10

Rach3

Re: Play some BPO

Post by Rach3 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks for this.Of interest to me the Beethoven and Elgar ( ! who knew ! ).

barney

Post by barney » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Yes, thanks for this. I certainly want to listen to some of it.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:26 pm

The 4 free ones were apparently guest appearances 2006 -2019, the Elgar ( I heard , but date I could not find ) reportedly the first time the BPO had played the work " in decades " , a gutsy choice for a guest conductor.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:07 am

That's a real treat! Thanks, slofstra! Am listening now to Beethoven VII. After signing up, the website directed me to other free concerts by other interesting conductors and artists, a real treasure-trove!

The NY Philharmonic has been doing something similar for some time, and I'm posting a link in a new thread.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:34 pm

I have now listened to Beethoven VII, Tchaikovsky VI, Scriabin's Poem of Ecstasy, and Elgar II.

Kirill Petrenko is the Real Deal. His phrasing, shaping, nuance and attention to detail, coupled with fine judgment of tempo, works for me in spades. I love his technique on the podium: never an extra movement or nervous tick, his gestures are crystal-clear.

He is a great conductor in everything I've heard, including a Beethoven IX that was posted earlier.

Thanks, Henry, for giving us the chance to hear this magnificent musician!

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:28 pm

You're very welcome!! I've been a paid digital subscriber of the BPO web site for almost a decade now. Every once in a while they offer free teasers like this one, but note that their artist interviews are always free.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:33 pm

Finally got round to registering, very much enjoying the Beethoven 7.
Struck by the organisation of the orchestra, very unusual today - first and second violins either side (that's not so unusual), cellos central, and double basses back on the left (never seen that before).
Anyone aware of the reasoning there? Not that it matters - the sound, so far as I can tell via the medium, is perfectly balanced and good.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:21 am

barney wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:33 pm
Struck by the organisation of the orchestra, very unusual today - first and second violins either side (that's not so unusual), cellos central, and double basses back on the left (never seen that before).
Anyone aware of the reasoning there? Not that it matters - the sound, so far as I can tell via the medium, is perfectly balanced and good.
You're used to the double basses back on the right, behind the cellos and second violin? Over the years I've seen many arrangements with our local K-W Symphony. For about 2 decades, the maestro Raffi Armenian preferred the first and second violins on the left with violas and cellos on the right. So clockwise, first violin, second violin, viola and cello. Bass violins at the rear on the right. I didn't even know this was unconventional.
The BPO stage is somewhat of a thrust stage and often has audience seated behind the orchestra. It probably makes more sense to have the bass at the rear in order to balance the sound, especially for the right orchestra audience section.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:41 am

barney wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:33 pm
In another thread, I wrote about a Philadelphia Orchestra open rehearsal led by Herbert Blomstedt. He had a similar arrangement, with the violins split and the double basses back on the left. Honestly, I can't say that I noticed any difference in the sound.