Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18740
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Lance » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:19 am

Some may not even know the name of Eric Heidsieck, but he has quite a reputation beyond the east side of the Atlantic. I have prepared a couple of radio programs in his honour in the past and received many comments from listeners. Now Warner has issued all his EMI and Erato recordings in one box at a decent price, all under the Erato logo. He regularly performs with his wife. However, his discography embraces many more than what EMI or Erato recorded and many of those discs are worth acquiring.

Read what Wikipedia says about the man below:

"Born in Reims, Heidsieck gave his first recital at the age of nine and his first concert with orchestra a year later.

He studied with Marcel Ciampi then Alfred Cortot and followed Wilhelm Kempff's lessons on Beethoven.

In 1959, he won the Grand Prix du Disque (EMI) for the recording of Mozart's Concerto No. 21 and No. 24. The following year, he and his wife Tania, also a pianist, founded a duo that shone on stages around the world.

In 1969, Heidsieck was the first French pianist of the 20th century to give, by memory and in public, Beethoven's 32 Sonatas, which he recorded with EMI Classics between 1970 and 1974 and again ten years later, then in 1997. He specializes in the performance and recording of integrals.

Since the beginning of his career, Heidsieck has given more than 2000 concerts around the world. He has also given numerous masterclasses in France and abroad.

In France, he has taught for 18 years at the Conservatoire national supérieur de musique et de danse de Lyon.

From 1957 to 2004, he recorded about 100 discs.

He is also the composer of several cycles of melodies."
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

Handelian
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:49 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Handelian » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:37 am

I remember buying my first Mozart piano Concertos played by this guy at a time they were are on LP. Nos 20 and 23

maestrob
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by maestrob » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:11 am

Well, well! Born in Reims, eh? Another Frenchman with a non-French name (Dutch?)!

I'm very curious about this man, and will pre-order the box definitely. Also, there is some extensive listening I must do on amazon as well. Thank you Lance!

Rach3
Posts: 2878
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Rach3 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks for this . I believe I have heard a couple of his Faure ; excellent as I recall.

If I recall, he's also related to the family of the famous French champagne houses:


https://charlesheidsieck.com/en
https://www.terlatowines.com/brands/fra ... -heidsieck

maestrob
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by maestrob » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:14 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 am
Thanks for this . I believe I have heard a couple of his Faure ; excellent as I recall.

If I recall, he's also related to the family of the famous French champagne houses:


https://charlesheidsieck.com/en
https://www.terlatowines.com/brands/fra ... -heidsieck
I see! What a wonderful connection!

Am just now listening to his Erato CD of the Faure Nocturnes on amazon. Absolutely ravishing! This is playing of the utmost beauty and sensitivity.

I'm really looking forward now to hearing more and will definitely acquire the box, which will be released in December here in the USA.

Thanks again, Lance, for your continuing education of us music-lovers through your forum! :D

Image

Rach3
Posts: 2878
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Rach3 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 am
Thanks for this . I believe I have heard a couple of his Faure ; excellent as I recall.
At another group, several posters gave high marks to his Beethoven sonatas, not surprising given what Lance reports.I've not heard.

Rach3
Posts: 2878
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Rach3 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:42 pm


CharmNewton
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:10 pm

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by CharmNewton » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:56 pm

Thank you for mentioning this set, Lance. A must have for me.

It looks like all those interesting "record people" (as opposed to bean counters) from French EMI have found a home at Erato, although I think Warner Classics is headquartered in Paris.

I was just thinking how nice it would be if Warner issued a box of all of Stephen Hough's early recordings on Erato. Perhaps it will come to pass.

Back in 2012 when Warner took over the EMI Classical catalog a number at CMG wondered how Warner would handle this great treasure. Looks like they are doing just fine.

John

maestrob
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by maestrob » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:38 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:36 pm
Rach3 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 am
Thanks for this . I believe I have heard a couple of his Faure ; excellent as I recall.
At another group, several posters gave high marks to his Beethoven sonatas, not surprising given what Lance reports.I've not heard.
Yes, indeed. I've read that Heisdieck has played two series of concerts featuring the complete cycle of 32 Beethoven Sonatas so far during his illustrious career from memory. Quite a feat! According to Wiki, he's still with us, although I don't know if he's still concertizing at 84! He has made about 100 recordings.

maestrob
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by maestrob » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 pm

Just a quick update on this release. I ordered it from amazon, expecting delivery on Dec. 18. Just today, I checked to see why I hadn't heard from them, and it seems that the release is now scheduled for January 6, 2021.

At least it hasn't been cancelled due to lack of interest. :roll:

Am waiting impatiently......

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18740
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Lance » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Yes, I patiently await it as well, along with the Sony Rodzinski set that was due months ago.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

CharmNewton
Posts: 2001
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:10 pm

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by CharmNewton » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:17 am

For me the new release date for this set is the second or third since the original announced for November 18th. The set is available in Europe, but is considerably more expensive than Amazon.com's $75 asking price. I suspect this is the problem behind the delays. Hopefully, after all this time has passed the order just doesn't get canceled.

I do not believe the Rodzinski set has been issued anywhere. Perhaps there is a production issue (it would be nice if better source material was located--that does happen as well).

Sony is scheduled to issue a 17-CD Szigeti set in a couple of weeks. I didn't realize he made that many recordings for Columbia. I haven't seen the contents, but the Mozart Sonatas that were available on Vanguard do not seem to be a part of it.

John

maestrob
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:34 pm

Just got a notice that amazon is shipping the Heidsieck box to me today, finally!

Am really looking forward to hearing more of this fine pianist's work. :)

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18740
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:54 pm

I'm surprised you are getting yours shipped today. I ordered mine on November 15th, 2020 - and estimated shipping is January 27th, 2021. I think more people may be interested in this set than we think. The guy is a very fine pianist - unfortunately not known as well as he should be in the USA.
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:34 pm
Just got a notice that amazon is shipping the Heidsieck box to me today, finally!

Am really looking forward to hearing more of this fine pianist's work. :)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

maestrob
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 am

Lance wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:54 pm
I'm surprised you are getting yours shipped today. I ordered mine on November 15th, 2020 - and estimated shipping is January 27th, 2021. I think more people may be interested in this set than we think. The guy is a very fine pianist - unfortunately not known as well as he should be in the USA.
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:34 pm
Just got a notice that amazon is shipping the Heidsieck box to me today, finally!

Am really looking forward to hearing more of this fine pianist's work. :)
Good morning, Lance! :D

That's strange, Lance, that your shipping date should be later than mine. I wonder why? I ordered my box when you posted about Heisdieck, so we probably ordered on or near the same day.

I'll keep you updated on its arrival in this thread. I have enjoyed listening to the selections of his playing online for sure.

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18740
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:52 pm

Amazon informed me awhile ago that the Heidsieck edition should arrive by Sunday (tomorrow, 01-10-21). That's good news for me.
maestrob wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 am
Lance wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:54 pm
I'm surprised you are getting yours shipped today. I ordered mine on November 15th, 2020 - and estimated shipping is January 27th, 2021. I think more people may be interested in this set than we think. The guy is a very fine pianist - unfortunately not known as well as he should be in the USA.
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:34 pm
Just got a notice that amazon is shipping the Heidsieck box to me today, finally!

Am really looking forward to hearing more of this fine pianist's work. :)
Good morning, Lance! :D

That's strange, Lance, that your shipping date should be later than mine. I wonder why? I ordered my box when you posted about Heisdieck, so we probably ordered on or near the same day.

I'll keep you updated on its arrival in this thread. I have enjoyed listening to the selections of his playing online for sure.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

maestrob
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by maestrob » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:11 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:52 pm
Amazon informed me awhile ago that the Heidsieck edition should arrive by Sunday (tomorrow, 01-10-21). That's good news for me.
maestrob wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 am
Lance wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:54 pm
I'm surprised you are getting yours shipped today. I ordered mine on November 15th, 2020 - and estimated shipping is January 27th, 2021. I think more people may be interested in this set than we think. The guy is a very fine pianist - unfortunately not known as well as he should be in the USA.
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:34 pm
Just got a notice that amazon is shipping the Heidsieck box to me today, finally!

Am really looking forward to hearing more of this fine pianist's work. :)
Good morning, Lance! :D

That's strange, Lance, that your shipping date should be later than mine. I wonder why? I ordered my box when you posted about Heisdieck, so we probably ordered on or near the same day.

I'll keep you updated on its arrival in this thread. I have enjoyed listening to the selections of his playing online for sure.
That's great, Lance!

I'm reading now that mine is due on Monday. Can't wait! 😉

Please stay safe! I'm sure we'll be comparing notes, no pun intended. :lol:

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18740
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:03 pm

Hurrah! I'm happy today (rare these days). The Heidsieck set arrived today (Sunday via prime). Wait until you get this one in your hands! Marvelous article about the pianist in the booklet, as well. Extremely fine presentation.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

maestrob
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by maestrob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:35 am

Good morning, Lance! :D

My copy of this wonderful box arrived last evening, so I'm hearing the first stereo disc available (the first 5 are in mono), an outstanding Mozart CD of concerti 20 & 23, conducted by Andre Vandernoot, someone I haven't heard in quite a long time. He and Heidsieck sem perfectly attuned. this is Mozart on a very high level, and the sound for 1960 stereo has been remastered to perfection.

A fabulous way to start the day. Heidsieck certainly has the "Mozart touch."

I plan on hearing the first disc in the box, a Beethoven sonata in mono, on my stereo later today and will report.

Curiously, while the booklet gives full details of the contents of each disc, there are no recording dates there, only on the covers of each disc. Also, I noticed that while individually designed covers are used, I'm not convinced that these are original album covers, which might have been in a European language, as everything I've seen so far has been in English, other than the performers' names of course. Also, some CDs are quite a bit longer than what would have been accommodated on an LP. Happily, the original release dates and catalog numbers are given on the back of each CD.

Very happy with this release! I do believe our patience has paid off. :wink:

I'm very curious why such an excellent world-class artist was never promoted here in the U. S. At least, I had not heard of him until you brought him up, Lance.

Thanks again! :D

Lance
Site Administrator
Posts: 18740
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am
Location: Binghamton, New York
Contact:

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:57 am

Hi Brian, and yes, I've been enjoying the set as well. The first disc I auditioned was Beethoven's Variations in C Minor, Mendelssohn's Variations Sérieuses, and Brahms' Variations & Fugue on a Theme by Handel. Wonderful interpretations and good piano, but I found some fault with the "voicing" of certain notes ... but that is being super critical. I thought the booklet was very well done.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief
______________________________________________________

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Image

maestrob
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:18 am

Good morning, Lance! :D

Just finished hearing 80' and 47" of superb Beethoven Sonatas, the "Appassionata," "Les Adieux," in stereo, and a glorious "Hammerklavier" in mono. Apart from some unavoidable tape print-through at Beethoven's subito forte in the opening of the Appassionata, these tapes are remarkably and perfectly restored. Amazing that they kept so well in the vaults for 60+ years.

Superb, first-class playing. I'm now sure that I will really enjoy this box!

I'm saving the disc of Hindemith's Piano Sonatas for later: I know Glenn Gould recorded them (1976?), but I didn't take to his recording at the time, and of course had no idea Heisdieck got there first in 1959. This is the first appearance of his recording on CD, and it's in stereo.

Hindemith was quite modest about his musical output, once famously saying that he disliked 80% of what he had written. The Piano Sonatas have not entered the repertoire, but I suspect I will appreciate Heisdiek's insights more than Gould's, for some reason. We'll see.

maestrob
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:56 am

Yesterday I heard Heisdieck's debut recording from 1957, recorded in Paris, a single Beethoven Sonata, the Hammerklavier, Op. 106.

What an incredibly brave choice for a 20-year-old virtuoso, even though he studied Beethoven at the knee of Wilhelm Kempff. Magnificent and fully idiomatic playing! It's no wonder he became the first French pianist to be invited to record the complete cycle of 32 Beethoven Sonatas just a few years later.

I'm so very impressed. :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests