Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Lance » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:19 am

Some may not even know the name of Eric Heidsieck, but he has quite a reputation beyond the east side of the Atlantic. I have prepared a couple of radio programs in his honour in the past and received many comments from listeners. Now Warner has issued all his EMI and Erato recordings in one box at a decent price, all under the Erato logo. He regularly performs with his wife. However, his discography embraces many more than what EMI or Erato recorded and many of those discs are worth acquiring.

Read what Wikipedia says about the man below:

"Born in Reims, Heidsieck gave his first recital at the age of nine and his first concert with orchestra a year later.

He studied with Marcel Ciampi then Alfred Cortot and followed Wilhelm Kempff's lessons on Beethoven.

In 1959, he won the Grand Prix du Disque (EMI) for the recording of Mozart's Concerto No. 21 and No. 24. The following year, he and his wife Tania, also a pianist, founded a duo that shone on stages around the world.

In 1969, Heidsieck was the first French pianist of the 20th century to give, by memory and in public, Beethoven's 32 Sonatas, which he recorded with EMI Classics between 1970 and 1974 and again ten years later, then in 1997. He specializes in the performance and recording of integrals.

Since the beginning of his career, Heidsieck has given more than 2000 concerts around the world. He has also given numerous masterclasses in France and abroad.

In France, he has taught for 18 years at the Conservatoire national supérieur de musique et de danse de Lyon.

From 1957 to 2004, he recorded about 100 discs.

He is also the composer of several cycles of melodies."
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Handelian

Re: Eric Heidsieck, pianist - Complete Edition

Post by Handelian » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:37 am

I remember buying my first Mozart piano Concertos played by this guy at a time they were are on LP. Nos 20 and 23

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:11 am

Well, well! Born in Reims, eh? Another Frenchman with a non-French name (Dutch?)!

I'm very curious about this man, and will pre-order the box definitely. Also, there is some extensive listening I must do on amazon as well. Thank you Lance!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks for this . I believe I have heard a couple of his Faure ; excellent as I recall.

If I recall, he's also related to the family of the famous French champagne houses:

https://charlesheidsieck.com/en
https://www.terlatowines.com/brands/fra ... -heidsieck

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:14 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 am
Thanks for this . I believe I have heard a couple of his Faure ; excellent as I recall.

If I recall, he's also related to the family of the famous French champagne houses:

https://charlesheidsieck.com/en
https://www.terlatowines.com/brands/fra ... -heidsieck
I see! What a wonderful connection!

Am just now listening to his Erato CD of the Faure Nocturnes on amazon. Absolutely ravishing! This is playing of the utmost beauty and sensitivity.

I'm really looking forward now to hearing more and will definitely acquire the box, which will be released in December here in the USA.

Thanks again, Lance, for your continuing education of us music-lovers through your forum! :D

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Rach3 wrote:
At another group, several posters gave high marks to his Beethoven sonatas, not surprising given what Lance reports.I've not heard.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:42 pm

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:56 pm

Thank you for mentioning this set, Lance. A must have for me.

It looks like all those interesting "record people" (as opposed to bean counters) from French EMI have found a home at Erato, although I think Warner Classics is headquartered in Paris.

I was just thinking how nice it would be if Warner issued a box of all of Stephen Hough's early recordings on Erato. Perhaps it will come to pass.

Back in 2012 when Warner took over the EMI Classical catalog a number at CMG wondered how Warner would handle this great treasure. Looks like they are doing just fine.

John

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:38 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:36 pm
Rach3 wrote:
At another group, several posters gave high marks to his Beethoven sonatas, not surprising given what Lance reports.I've not heard.
Yes, indeed. I've read that Heisdieck has played two series of concerts featuring the complete cycle of 32 Beethoven Sonatas so far during his illustrious career from memory. Quite a feat! According to Wiki, he's still with us, although I don't know if he's still concertizing at 84! He has made about 100 recordings.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 pm

Just a quick update on this release. I ordered it from amazon, expecting delivery on Dec. 18. Just today, I checked to see why I hadn't heard from them, and it seems that the release is now scheduled for January 6, 2021.

At least it hasn't been cancelled due to lack of interest. :roll:

Am waiting impatiently......

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:28 pm

Yes, I patiently await it as well, along with the Sony Rodzinski set that was due months ago.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:17 am

For me the new release date for this set is the second or third since the original announced for November 18th. The set is available in Europe, but is considerably more expensive than Amazon.com's $75 asking price. I suspect this is the problem behind the delays. Hopefully, after all this time has passed the order just doesn't get canceled.

I do not believe the Rodzinski set has been issued anywhere. Perhaps there is a production issue (it would be nice if better source material was located--that does happen as well).

Sony is scheduled to issue a 17-CD Szigeti set in a couple of weeks. I didn't realize he made that many recordings for Columbia. I haven't seen the contents, but the Mozart Sonatas that were available on Vanguard do not seem to be a part of it.

John

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:34 pm

Just got a notice that amazon is shipping the Heidsieck box to me today, finally!

Am really looking forward to hearing more of this fine pianist's work. :)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:54 pm

I'm surprised you are getting yours shipped today. I ordered mine on November 15th, 2020 - and estimated shipping is January 27th, 2021. I think more people may be interested in this set than we think. The guy is a very fine pianist - unfortunately not known as well as he should be in the USA.
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:34 pm
Just got a notice that amazon is shipping the Heidsieck box to me today, finally!

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 am

Lance wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:54 pm
I'm surprised you are getting yours shipped today. I ordered mine on November 15th, 2020 - and estimated shipping is January 27th, 2021. I think more people may be interested in this set than we think. The guy is a very fine pianist - unfortunately not known as well as he should be in the USA.
maestrob wrote:

Good morning, Lance! :D

That's strange, Lance, that your shipping date should be later than mine. I wonder why? I ordered my box when you posted about Heisdieck, so we probably ordered on or near the same day.

I'll keep you updated on its arrival in this thread. I have enjoyed listening to the selections of his playing online for sure.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:52 pm

Amazon informed me awhile ago that the Heidsieck edition should arrive by Sunday (tomorrow, 01-10-21). That's good news for me.
maestrob wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 am
Lance wrote:
maestrob wrote:

That's strange, Lance, that your shipping date should be later than mine. I wonder why? I ordered my box when you posted about Heisdieck, so we probably ordered on or near the same day.

I'll keep you updated on its arrival in this thread. I have enjoyed listening to the selections of his playing online for sure.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:11 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:52 pm
Amazon informed me awhile ago that the Heidsieck edition should arrive by Sunday (tomorrow, 01-10-21). That's good news for me.
maestrob wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 am
Lance wrote:
maestrob wrote:

That's great, Lance!

I'm reading now that mine is due on Monday. Can't wait! 😉

Please stay safe! I'm sure we'll be comparing notes, no pun intended. :lol:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:03 pm

Hurrah! I'm happy today (rare these days). The Heidsieck set arrived today (Sunday via prime). Wait until you get this one in your hands! Marvelous article about the pianist in the booklet, as well. Extremely fine presentation.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:35 am

My copy of this wonderful box arrived last evening, so I'm hearing the first stereo disc available (the first 5 are in mono), an outstanding Mozart CD of concerti 20 & 23, conducted by Andre Vandernoot, someone I haven't heard in quite a long time. He and Heidsieck sem perfectly attuned. this is Mozart on a very high level, and the sound for 1960 stereo has been remastered to perfection.

A fabulous way to start the day. Heidsieck certainly has the "Mozart touch."

I plan on hearing the first disc in the box, a Beethoven sonata in mono, on my stereo later today and will report.

Curiously, while the booklet gives full details of the contents of each disc, there are no recording dates there, only on the covers of each disc. Also, I noticed that while individually designed covers are used, I'm not convinced that these are original album covers, which might have been in a European language, as everything I've seen so far has been in English, other than the performers' names of course. Also, some CDs are quite a bit longer than what would have been accommodated on an LP. Happily, the original release dates and catalog numbers are given on the back of each CD.

Very happy with this release! I do believe our patience has paid off. :wink:

I'm very curious why such an excellent world-class artist was never promoted here in the U. S. At least, I had not heard of him until you brought him up, Lance.

Thanks again! :D

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:57 am

Hi Brian, and yes, I've been enjoying the set as well. The first disc I auditioned was Beethoven's Variations in C Minor, Mendelssohn's Variations Sérieuses, and Brahms' Variations & Fugue on a Theme by Handel. Wonderful interpretations and good piano, but I found some fault with the "voicing" of certain notes ... but that is being super critical. I thought the booklet was very well done.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:18 am

Just finished hearing 80' and 47" of superb Beethoven Sonatas, the "Appassionata," "Les Adieux," in stereo, and a glorious "Hammerklavier" in mono. Apart from some unavoidable tape print-through at Beethoven's subito forte in the opening of the Appassionata, these tapes are remarkably and perfectly restored. Amazing that they kept so well in the vaults for 60+ years.

Superb, first-class playing. I'm now sure that I will really enjoy this box!

I'm saving the disc of Hindemith's Piano Sonatas for later: I know Glenn Gould recorded them (1976?), but I didn't take to his recording at the time, and of course had no idea Heisdieck got there first in 1959. This is the first appearance of his recording on CD, and it's in stereo.

Hindemith was quite modest about his musical output, once famously saying that he disliked 80% of what he had written. The Piano Sonatas have not entered the repertoire, but I suspect I will appreciate Heisdiek's insights more than Gould's, for some reason. We'll see.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:56 am

Yesterday I heard Heisdieck's debut recording from 1957, recorded in Paris, a single Beethoven Sonata, the Hammerklavier, Op. 106.

What an incredibly brave choice for a 20-year-old virtuoso, even though he studied Beethoven at the knee of Wilhelm Kempff. Magnificent and fully idiomatic playing! It's no wonder he became the first French pianist to be invited to record the complete cycle of 32 Beethoven Sonatas just a few years later.

I'm so very impressed. :D

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:29 am

I'm fascinated by the fact that this thread has gotten more than FIVE TIMES the number of hits than the thread on Volodos! :wink:

So glad that we have so many piano connoisseurs here!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:11 am

Me too! I expect to be buried in a concert grand. How's THAT for the love of the piano? Naturally, the strings and cast iron plate would have to be removed - and as long as I don't gain any more weight it should work! :lol:
maestrob wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:29 am
I'm fascinated by the fact that this thread has gotten more than FIVE TIMES the number of hits than the thread on Volodos! 😉

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:26 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:11 am
Me too! I expect to be buried in a concert grand. How's THAT for the love of the piano? Naturally, the strings and cast iron plate would have to be removed - and as long as I don't gain any more weight it should work! :lol:
maestrob wrote:
I'm fascinated by the fact that this thread has gotten more than FIVE TIMES the number of hits than the thread on Volodos! 😉

Well Lance, that would be an unusual form of Hide/Seek! (Groan!)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:20 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:11 am
maestrob wrote:

:D

At the rate I'm going, I'll need a Bosendorfer Imperial with all of its 97 keys! :wink:

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:45 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:56 am
Yesterday I heard Heisdieck's debut recording from 1957, recorded in Paris, a single Beethoven Sonata, the Hammerklavier, Op. 106.

What an incredibly brave choice for a 20-year-old virtuoso, even though he studied Beethoven at the knee of Wilhelm Kempff. Magnificent and fully idiomatic playing! It's no wonder he became the first French pianist to be invited to record the complete cycle of 32 Beethoven Sonatas just a few years later.

I'm so very impressed. :D
I've been busy with work and at home, but I did want to chime in about this recording.

I was not aware Heidsieck had recorded the Op. 106 three times. When I saw this 1957 recording was his first, I had to listen to it. He plays fearlessly, yet with polish and conviction. ANd with expressiveness too. In these late sonatas, Beethoven often writes in the highest octaves of the piano and the sounds can be moving. I wonder with Beethoven's deafness if that part of the piano was audible to him and so he wrote melodies there and found expressive possibilities. I found Heidsieck very moving in the slow movement.

Over the past few months I've spent time with the sonatas, beginning with Kempff's stereo cycle, which I hadn't played in 30 years. That led me some of Gilels' recordings, Heidsieck's stereo cycle and also the recordings of Frederic Lamond (1868-1948), the first pianist to leave us several of the sonatas and the only pianist of the pre-Schnabel generation to do so (I believe Paderewski and Godowsky each recorded one sonata while I don't believe Emil Von Sauer or Arthur De Greef recorded any of them). Lamond was one of Liszt's last pupils, and it is clear from listening to his recall of his first meeting with Liszt (60 years after Liszt's passing) that the composer made a huge impression on him. To bring this back to Heidsieck, his approach to tempo, form and phrasing remind me of Lamond in that his choices in these areas are governed by the context of his interpretation and not just the printed page. His tempi are not rigid. I feel some pianists straightjacket Beethoven's melodies by being too rhythmically firm, making their phrasing less interesting (something I heard in Kempff in the less familiar sonatas). To be sure, Lamond's approach is freer, but it has that same quality of being sought out from the context of the work. I believe this approach came from his training with Liszt. I can't say Lamond's approach is typical of his generation as there aren't enough recordings of these pianists to geta good picture, although slightly later pianists like Cortot and Mark Hambourg embody it (Hambourg was a Schnabel contemporary who was very popular but seemed almost instantly forgotten after he died in 1960 and EMI didn't re-issue his recordings).

I've also listened to the first Handel disc of Keyboard Suites and it is wonderful. Very delightful and engaging. Handel is instantly recognizable and I'm becoming a real fan of his music.

The recollectionss of Lamond on his meething with Liszt have been posted to YouTube and are linked below, courtesy of Beckmesser2 who may be a member of CMG. Lamond is a vivid storyteller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxbnLji3A_I

John

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:12 am

Very interesting comments, John. I have a Lamond piano roll CD somewhere, but that's all.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:52 am

Yes, thank you John for your comments. Your post is a perfect example of why I joined CMG much more than a decade ago, and I appreciate the time you took from your busy schedule to write all that and find the link accompanying it. I will listen to the interview with great interest.

It's a pleasure to be among such knowledgeable people here.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:39 pm

barney wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:12 am
Very interesting comments, John. I have a Lamond piano roll CD somewhere, but that's all.
If that CD is part of the Caswell Collection, it is an interesting set as it has recordings of many Liszt pupils, really a Who's Who of late 19th and early 20th Century pianists. Lamond's recordings in the collection reproduce his tone well in modern sound--his tone must have been beautiful in the hall as it sounds lovely and rich on his electrical 78s, recently re-issued on the APR label. I'm not sure the Caswell piano is in the best shape, however--Lamond's recordings don't have the fluidity heard in the 78s and are slower as well. That could extend to the other recordings in the set as well, but definitely worth hearing.

John

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:42 pm

maestrob wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:52 am
Yes, thank you John for your comments. Your post is a perfect example of why I joined CMG much more than a decade ago, and I appreciate the time you took from your busy schedule to write all that and find the link accompanying it. I will listen to the interview with great interest.

It's a pleasure to be among such knowledgeable people here.
You're welcome. I enjoy reading your posts very much.

John

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:01 pm

barney wrote:
Speaking of Liszt pupil Lamond, there are two small boxes of his recordings now available. This one includes two previously unreleased concerto broadcasts in a restoration of selected electrical recordings by Ward Marston:

And this one seems to contain different titles, includes Liszt and all of his complete Electrola and HMV solo electrical recordings on 3 CDs:

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:40 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:01 pm
barney wrote:
Speaking of Liszt pupil Lamond, there are two small boxes of his recordings now available. This one includes two previously unreleased concerto broadcasts in a restoration of selected electrical recordings by Ward Marston:

And this one seems to contain different titles, includes Liszt and all of his complete Electrola and HMV solo electrical recordings on 3 CDs:

I have both of these collections. Besides the broadcasts with Van Beinum, the Marston set includes acoustic recordings of Sonatas 14, 21, and 23 along with selected movements from Sonatas 6 and 18, and Lamond's recorded reminiscences recorded by the BBC. The recordings of the Waldstein and Appassionata Sonatas are really very good, capturing Lamond in excellent form at some pretty exciting tempi at times. Marston's transfers reveal very good sound for acoustic recordings. I didn't find the sound a limitation. Like Cortot, the acoustic process captured Lamond very well. I love the Liszt Concerti and the A major Concerto especially so. Having Lamond, in a live performance is a real treat.

The APR set itself is a re-issue, combining two discs that were once available on the Biddulph and the third was originally issued on APR several years ago. They reproduce Lamond's tone very well--my first memory of Lamond was his recording of Beethoven's Op. 110 Sonata from Victor 78s. I loved his tone, but never ran across any of his 78s and I don't recall re-issues from the LP era. An HMV Treasury re-issue would have been welcome. I think the Schnabel's recordings resulted in Lamond's being forgotten rather quickly.

The APR set is available from Amazon via Music Unlimited and Spotify.

John

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:30 am

Many thanks, John, for filling in the details on the two Lamond sets. I plan on ordering both, thanks to your bringing him up here with such enthusiasm.

What great treasures these restored recordings are! :D

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:47 pm

I have the original APR all-Liszt disc [5504] and the two Biddulph CDs [042, 043], all of which were melded into the new APR 3-CD set [7310], the latter of which contains some material not previously released. In auditioning the new 7310 set's first disc, I became aware of many finger slips in some of the tracks ... really didn't matter since, in those days, there was no editing of 78s, but certainly Lamond's musicality is in full bloom, which is the most important part of his music-making. The booklet for the 3-CD set is wonderfully informative.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:04 am

Today's update on Heisdieck listening:

Recorded in Paris in 1960 (Volume I) and 1962 (Volume II) by Erato, Heisdieck's complete traversal of Faure's neglected Nocturnes shows the astounding depth of that pianist's musicianship. The set I have by Jean-Phillippe Collard performing these same works is quite good, and I've played it many times since it was first available on CD decades ago.

Heisdieck, however, turns Faure's music into Great Music, with far more depth, colors, and dynamic range than even Collard, a fine artist, can muster. Heisdieck simply has more to say than Collard, while he elevates his interpretation (available for streaming here on amazon if you're curious, as it was released on CD previously in 2011) far beyond any other pianist I've heard online preparing for this review in Faure's complete cycle.

I'm so very grateful to have been alerted to the artistry of Eric Heisdieck, and have been amply rewarded by his stunning musicianship on every disc I've heard so far, including these.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:49 pm

maestrob wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:04 am
Today's update on Heisdieck listening:

Recorded in Paris in 1960 (Volume I) and 1962 (Volume II) by Erato, Heisdieck's complete traversal of Faure's neglected Nocturnes shows the astounding depth of that pianist's musicianship. The set I have by Jean-Phillippe Collard performing these same works is quite good, and I've played it many times since it was first available on CD decades ago.

Heisdieck, however, turns Faure's music into Great Music, with far more depth, colors, and dynamic range than even Collard, a fine artist, can muster. Heisdieck simply has more to say than Collard, while he elevates his interpretation (available for streaming here on amazon if you're curious, as it was released on CD previously in 2011) far beyond any other pianist I've heard online preparing for this review in Faure's complete cycle.

I'm so very grateful to have been alerted to the artistry of Eric Heisdieck, and have been amply rewarded by his stunning musicianship on every disc I've heard so far, including these.
I agree with you completely. I was captivated time and again by the music's beauty and freshness.

I learned that while not virtuosic, the music is very difficult (Liszt was quoted as "running out of fingers"). I began looking through my collection for individual works and did come across two lovely recordings by Philippe Entremont (Nocturne No. 6 in D-flat major and Impromptu No. 3, Op. 34). Renewed exploration to come.

John