What I listened to today

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: What I listened to today

Post by maestrob » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:37 am

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:40 pm
I prefer Bartok’s PC’s Nos.1 and 3, especially 3 ( one of my fav PC’s period ) , but interesting to hear Barto again after his return. Can’t comment on the performance as I do not know the work that well, my recordings 50’s Gyorgy Sandor Vox lp and Pollini/Abbado/CSO on a DGG lp. Bartok # 2 perhaps the technically most difficult of all piano concertos ever written.

Enreistré le 29/11/2018 au Grand Studio de la NDR à Hanovre

Franz Liszt - Von der Wiege bis zum Grabe (Du berceau à la tombe) , poème symphonique S.107

Bélà Bartók - Concerto No. 2 en Sol Majeur pour piano et orchestre, Sz. 95
- Concerto pour orchestre, Sz. 116

Tzimon Barto, piano
NDR Radio Philharmonic Orchestra
Christoph Eschenbach, direction

Interesting concert! Thanks!

I have several recordings of the Concerti by Anda, Sandor (Vox & Sony: both available for streaming on amazon) and the set pictured below by Zoltan Kocsis with Ivan Fischer, all available on amazon. The Kocsis set can be had used starting at $25 even though it's OOP, and is truly excellent:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:55 pm

Geirr Tveitt’s 1954 tonal,"Romantic", Piano Concerto No. 5, Naxos cd, Havard Grimse,the excellent pianist,Royal Scottish National Orchestra,Engeset.Mystery not heard.At YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaJ7DgPEwdo

Andsnes says the music “ does not speak to me”, so he tours the World with the ubiquitous Grieg PC, his right of course, no point playing music he does not like, but a pity as the concerto is worthy of an advocate like Grimse with more “reputation.”

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Glenn Gould playing the 3 piano sonatas of Paul Hindemith, 1992 Sony cd. Wonderful music wonderfully played, a mystery to me why not more popular.One of Gould’s best IMHO.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:03 pm

Vladimir Jurowski's latest foray into Mahler with Das Lied von der Erde has received glowing reviews, but I'm afraid I must disagree. Robert Dean Smith is an American tenor who in 2008 replaced an ailing Ben Heppner at the MET in Tristan & Isolde and has had an international career at the best opera houses worldwide, but sadly he now sounds past his prime and strains at the tessitura of Mahler's fiendishly difficult score. Sarah Connolly is the reason to buy this CD if you must, but Jurowski's conducting in the shorter songs can be frustratingly pedestrian at times. When inspired by Connolly's infinitely flexible voice in Der Abschied, Jurowski becomes infinitely expressive without being maudlin, revealing details in Mahler's chamber-music-like orchestration that moved me, although he's a bit more hurried here and there than Bruno Walter. So, barely four stars for this recording, if that.

Many listeners prefer Walter's 1950's mono recording of Das Lied with Kathleen Ferrier, made, sadly, when she was already dying from cancer. Unfortunately for my ears, both she and Julius Patzak are past their respective prime years. Ferrier is plagued by a too-fast vibrato that sends her off-pitch in certain passages, and Patzak fails to soar in Mahler's killer tessitura, even though the Vienna Philharmonic offers security and appropriate colors.

My preference in Mahler's Das Lied remains, therefore, Walter's superb New York collaboration with Mildred Miller (who strangely, recorded little else besides her Mahler and Brahms with Walter commercially, despite having an international career) and the great German tenor Ernst Heafliger in what may be his finest hour on disc. Haefliger soars easily through the most difficult passages, the only tenor I've heard so far that has done full justice to Mahler's music (Fritz Wunderlich can't match Heafliger's vocal strength, and is hampered by Klemperer's clumsy conducting IMHO), while Mildred Miller, a model of sensitivity and heart-wrenching cries of passionate depth, responds to Walter's supportive conducting that also brings a range of color and dynamics from the NY Philharmonic that belies their reputation for insensitivity.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:33 pm

Scarlatti's Sonatas have been sparkling wonders to my ears ever since I first heard Horowitz play them in concert as a teenager. Am listening to the 2001 recording by Alexandre Tharaud pictured above, and while his tone is slightly fuller and rounder than Horowitz's, Tharaud's interpretation is equally persuasive while his technique is certainly ear-opening. His is a bit more Romantic in sound, but each artist has his own personality, and Tharaud's sound works for me! His dynamic range, sensitivity and depth of expression match the best I've heard, and I will add this disc to my next Presto order! Recommended with five stars.

Handelian

Post by Handelian » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Don Carlo broadcast from the Met. Great to see it.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:20 pm

A relatively rare (?) chance I believe to hear a live performance of Prokofieff’s stunning Symphony Concertante for Cello and Orchestra, Op.125, one of his greatest works, IMHO. Orchestra of Radio Norway,Tabita Berglund, conductor, with cellist Amalie Stalheim. At Oslo sometime in 2019 I believe.Wonderful performance of a hugely demanding work for all concerned.Also on program Sibelius’ Sym. # 7 I did not hear this time.

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concer ... id=2704212

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Sheku Kanneh-Mason’s recording of the Elgar Cello Concerto :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000pn8k

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:34 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:14 pm
Sheku Kanneh-Mason’s recording of the Elgar Cello Concerto :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000pn8k
Sorry, this one actually live last week !

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:20 pm
A relatively rare (?) chance I believe to hear a live performance of Prokofieff’s stunning Symphony Concertante for Cello and Orchestra, Op.125, one of his greatest works, IMHO. Orchestra of Radio Norway,Tabita Berglund, conductor, with cellist Amalie Stalheim. At Oslo sometime in 2019 I believe.Wonderful performance of a hugely demanding work for all concerned.Also on program Sibelius’ Sym. # 7 I did not hear this time.

I love the revised version of Prokofiev's music that he worked on with Rostropovich, which became Op. 125 and was recorded by the cellist with Malcolm Sargent for EMI along with the Miaskovsky Cello Concerto, another favorite. There have been several really good recordings of that version since, but very few of the original score (Op. 58) which, while interesting, doesn't hold a candle to the revised version. Sort of what happened with Prokofiev's revision to his Fourth Symphony, which was also published under a new opus number. I will definitely get to this concert soon. Thanks!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:50 am

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:38 pm
My first hearing of this Chausson trio today ; wonderful , powerful work.

Another hearing of the Chausson Op.3 Piano Trio,the Storioni Trio live in 2018 playing both the Chausson Op.3 Piano Trio and Ravel Piano Trio ( another all-time fav of mine ) at Utrecht, very attractive program:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/8060 ... -programma

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:17 pm

Here's the blurb from amazon about this latest release from Robin Johannsen, who was a semi-finalist in my competition in Carnegie Hall, but was snatched away by an perceptive agent who signed her to a contract with Thielemann at Bayreuth before I could invite her to be a finalist:
PENTATONE presents Telemann's rarely-performed opera Miriways (1728) with a stellar cast and the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin conducted by Bernard Labadie. Star vocalists such as Andre Morsch (Miriways), Robin Johannsen (Sophi), Sophie Karthäuser (Bemira), Lydia Teuscher (Nisibis) and Michael Nagy (Murzah) offer a string of beautiful baroque arias and scenes in this German-language opera. Miriways is a piece about love, duty and truthfulness, and was based on recent political events in Afghanistan and Persia that actually made headlines in European newspapers, demonstrating the eighteenth-century fascination for the Orient. The opera was recorded live during the Telemann Festival Hamburg in 2017. The Akademie für Alte Musik is generally seen as one of the best period-instruments ensembles of today, and has a substantial PENTATONE discography, including CANTATA with Bejun Mehta (2018), as well as Handel's Concerti grossi op. 6 (released in 2019 and 2020). Robin Johannsen featured on Handels Parnasso in festa (2017). Andre Morsch, Sophie Karthäuser, Lydia Teuscher, Michael Nagy and Bernard Labadie make their PENTATONE debut.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:58 am

FYI, Trifonov , and others, at 2020 Salzburg, three, live 1-hour broadcasts . I heard the Belcea’s Webern and “Cavatina”,but not the other non-piano works.Muscially, just speaking for myself,the only work I enjoyed, as a composition, was the Berg, despite Trifonov’s imposing more weight, drama on the Berg than the music needs ( my cd recording is Uchida and have a live 2010 download of Hamelin in Glasgow ).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000phbr

Bartok: Out of Doors, Sz 81 ( complete )

Webern: Langsamer Satz
Belcea Quartet

Prokofiev: Sarcasms, Op. 17
Ligeti: Musica ricercata (excerpts)

Beethoven: Cavatina from String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Op. 130
Belcea Quartet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000pgcz

Beethoven: String Quartet No. 9 in C, Op. 59 No. 3 (Razumovsky)
Belcea Quartet

Berg: Piano Sonata No. 1

Gounod: L’absent
Massenet: En fermant les yeux, des Grieux (aria from Manon)
Benjamin Bernheim (tenor)
Carrie-Ann Matheson (piano)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000pgpk

John Corigliano: Fantasia on an Ostinato for piano

Berlioz: Les Nuits d'été, Op. 7
Benjamin Bernheim (tenor)
Carrie-Ann Matheson (piano)

Copland: Piano Variations

Next Tues., Nov.24, 20:00 Brussels time ( US Eastern 2:00 pm ), Boris Giltburg plays live the Beethoven Opa.109 -111 :

https://www.rtbf.be/musiq3/emissions/de ... 1#livearea

"Ce mardi 24 novembre, la musique de Beethoven résonnera dans le studio 4 de Flagey. Le pianiste Boris Giltburg y interprétera à huis clos un récital diffusé en direct sur Musiq3. Au programme les trois dernières sonates pour piano de Beethoven, qui clôturent un cycle de 32 sonates, que le pianiste israélien a appris en quelques mois."

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:31 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:20 pm

What a very fine concert!

I learned from the announcer that this was actually conductor Tabita Berglund's final exam for her master's degree in conducting in Oslo. Finding her info online, I also discovered that she had studied cello to a master's level with Truls Mork, one of my favorite contemporary musicians, who has also recorded an excellent performance of the Prokofiev Op. 125 on a disc I own. The Symphonie Concertante was premiered during Prokofiev's lifetime in 1950 by Rostropovich, with an orchestra led by Sviatoslav Richter, no mean cellist himself, in his only known appearance at the podium since his very early youth when he began his aborted career as a composer. What a recording that would be to have in one's library!

Since Berglund is such a common Scandinavian name (of Swedish origin), I couldn't determine if Tabita is related to the deceased conductor Paavo Berglund (survived by five grandchildren whose names did not appear in the obituaries I read) who had a distinguished relationship to the music of Sibelius, but Tabita's performance of the Sibelius VII was exemplary IMHO. Strangely, she led the Prelude to Tristan & Isolde without the usual accompanying Liebestod, but she did well with it.

Judging by this unfortunately sparsely attended concert, Tabita Berglund is a conductor to watch, and I forsee quite a successful career in store for her.

Thanks for posting this!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:36 pm

Next Tues., Nov.24, 20:00 Brussels time ( US Eastern 2:00 pm ), Boris Giltburg plays live the Beethoven Opa.109 -111 :https://www.rtbf.be/musiq3/emissions/de ... 1#livearea"Ce mardi 24 novembre, la musique de Beethoven résonnera dans le studio 4 de Flagey. Le pianiste Boris Giltburg y interprétera à huis clos un récital diffusé en direct sur Musiq3. Au programme les trois dernières sonates pour piano de Beethoven, qui clôturent un cycle de 32 sonates, que le pianiste israélien a appris en quelques mois."
Now THAT looks interesting! :D

I had no idea Giltburg was performing the Beethoven Sonatas in their entirety. I look forward to a recording of the complete cycle from him.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:06 pm

My Decca cd of the Britten Piano Concerto,one of my fav PC's period, Sviatoslav Richter,piano,Britten himself conducting the English Chamber Orchestra.

Also, my cd of Constance Keene's recording of Hummel's extraordinary 5th Piano Sonata:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdbLs-Zqsno

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:04 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:36 pm
Next Tues., Nov.24, 20:00 Brussels time ( US Eastern 2:00 pm ), Boris Giltburg plays live the Beethoven Opa.109 -111 :https://www.rtbf.be/musiq3/emissions/de ... 1#livearea"Ce mardi 24 novembre, la musique de Beethoven résonnera dans le studio 4 de Flagey. Le pianiste Boris Giltburg y interprétera à huis clos un récital diffusé en direct sur Musiq3. Au programme les trois dernières sonates pour piano de Beethoven, qui clôturent un cycle de 32 sonates, que le pianiste israélien a appris en quelques mois."
Now THAT looks interesting! :D

I had no idea Giltburg was performing the Beethoven Sonatas in their entirety. I look forward to a recording of the complete cycle from him.
Am in the middle of hearing this live concert now. It's eerie with no applause, but the sound quality coming through from Europe is quite good. Giltburg is sparing no one in this difficult recital, and so far is playing without intermission. I do hope he pauses for a time to recover for the Op. 111. There were just a few moments during the first 10 minutes that were not quite right, but he steadied quite nicely for the rest of the hour.

Unfortunately I must leave now, but I hope this concert will be archived. If not, I'll surely buy the CD when it's issued.

Thanks for offering this, rach3!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:47 am

maestrob wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:04 pm
Unfortunately I must leave now, but I hope this concert will be archived. If not, I'll surely buy the CD when it's issued.
I came into the live broadcast at the very end of 109 so heard, at that time, only the complete 110 and 111. Of course, my evaluation may be off, but I did not think either sonata went well at all.Perhaps the scope of the undertaking took its toll.
Today I decided to hear 109, and 109 went considerably better.As my main interest in the recital was to hear 109 and 110, my 2 fav Beethoven sonatas,I decided not to hear his "Hammerklavier."

The recital is archived: https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concer ... id=2707642

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:46 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:47 am
maestrob wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:04 pm
I came into the live broadcast at the very end of 109 so heard, at that time, only the complete 110 and 111. Of course, my evaluation may be off, but I did not think either sonata went well at all.Perhaps the scope of the undertaking took its toll.
Today I decided to hear 109, and 109 went considerably better.As my main interest in the recital was to hear 109 and 110, my 2 fav Beethoven sonatas,I decided not to hear his "Hammerklavier."

The recital is archived: https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concer ... id=2707642
Thanks for the link, Rach3. That was an extremely ambitious program, to be sure. I will listen soon to the rest just to hear for myself, but of course trust your judgement. I'm sure when he goes into the studio to record them, he'll do better. From what I've heard so far online, Giltburg is a fine Beethoven interpreter.

I'll bet it was a bit unnerving to play in an empty hall like that. Gilels, for example, did not record so well in the studio, at least in his American recordings, but he seems inspired like a man possessed in his one RCA disc recorded live in Carnegie Hall (including the Liszt B minor Sonata) and in various Russian concert recordings I have in the famous Russian Legends box. I suspect that not having an audience present may have affected Giltburg's playing, or perhaps he was just having an off day.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:37 pm

Schubert’s incomplete Piano Sonata D.571 ( 7 minutes ) , Sir Andras Schiff’s early Decca cd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN-s-Qnw07k
As one YT comment notes,a beautiful work cut off way too soon,Schubert's life.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:16 am

Yesterday, thanks to the "Music Choice - Classical Masterpieces" channel on my cable TV, I heard for the first time Alexandre Guilmant's Symphony for Organ and Orchestra No. 2. Normally, I'm not a fan of organ music. Too often, the composition and/or the performance creates a muddy wall of sound. This piece is different. The organ part is clearly articulated and well balanced with the orchestra. The entire piece is a delight--melodic, well-structured, and skillfully orchestrated. Thank you, Music Choice, for introducing me to this composer and this piece.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:48 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:16 am

Yesterday, thanks to the "Music Choice - Classical Masterpieces" channel on my cable TV, I heard for the first time Alexandre Guilmant's Symphony for Organ and Orchestra No. 2. Normally, I'm not a fan of organ music. Too often, the composition and/or the performance creates a muddy wall of sound. This piece is different. The organ part is clearly articulated and well balanced with the orchestra. The entire piece is a delight--melodic, well-structured, and skillfully orchestrated. Thank you, Music Choice, for introducing me to this composer and this piece.
It's always great to discover new music, so I found the above on amazon and have it queued up for listening today. Thanks, Hank, for the suggestion, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:52 pm

The brilliant young (30 ) French pianist,Lucas Debargue, plays Mozart’s PC # 24, K.491, live in Switzerland with Lausanne Chamber Orchestra,Joshua Weilerstein, November, 2019. Wonderful first mov. cadenza,I suspect the pianist’s own. Scarlatti encore, K.253 Sonata. 3rd mov. most successful for me, Debargue still not quite sure what he wants to do elsewhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000pq71

Maria Joao Pires live at the Concertgebouw, May 31, 1986, with the Netherlands Radio Phil. Orchestra under Sergiu Comissiona, playing Mozart’s PC # 27, K.595. Pires in control from first entrance, with no doubts.As with Backhaus, she plays the slow mov. “ straight”, thus for me more effectively, rather than the over-ornamented readings that seem in vogue today:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/224- ... dagmatinee

Finally, another Thanksgiving “ feast “ for pianophiles. I heard the Herman works,Korsakov transcription, Tanguy, Chopin,and Bach transcription only.The Tanguy very interesting, as was the “reduced” Bach.

Concert donné le 27 septembre 2020 à 16h à l'Auditorium de la Maison de la Radio à Paris

https://tinyurl.com/yxsl8e98

Yaron Herman (né en 1981)
Improvisations 1 et 2

Yaron Herman, piano

Nikolaï Andreïevitch Rimski-Korsakov (1844 - 1908)
Suite extraite de Shéhérazade op.35 pour orchestre (transcription pour piano de Florian Noack)

Florian Noack, piano

Eric Tanguy (né en 1968)
Nachtmusik pour piano - Création mondiale

Suzana Bartal, piano

Franz Schubert (1797-1828)
Fantaisie pour piano à quatre mains en fa mineur op. 103 D 940
1. Allegro molto moderato
2. Largo
3. Allegro vivace
4. Tempo primo

Suzana Bartal, piano
Claire-Marie Le Guay, piano

Enrique Granados (1867 - 1916)
Quejas o la maja y el ruiseñor (Complainte ou La jeune fille et le rossignol) extrait des Goyescas

Claire-Marie Le Guay, piano

Clara Schumann (1819 - 1896)
Variations sur un thème de Robert Schumann en fa dièse mineur op. 20 pour piano
1. Thème (Ziemlich langsam)
2. Variation I
3. Variation II
4. Variation III
5. Variation IV
6. Variation V, Poco animato
7. Variation VI
8. Variation VII

Frédéric Chopin (1810 - 1849)
Scherzo pour piano n° 1 en si mineur op. 20

David Kadouch, piano

Jean Sébastien Bach (1685 - 1750)
Concerto pour quatre clavecins en la mineur BWV 1065 (transcription pour piano de Florian Noack) pour quatre clavecins et cordes d'après le Concerto en si mineu op 3 n°10 RV 580 pour 4 violons d'Antonio Vivaldi
1. Allegro
2. Largo
3. Allegro

Florian Noack, piano

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:04 pm

Based on the BBC presenter’s summary of the Mayer VC, I was reluctant to hear, but recalled I initially did not care for the Britten or Szymanowski VC’s either ( now do enjoy them ), and the Prokofieff VC # 1 is one of my fav works period, so did listen and enjoyed, re-heard. More lyrical than expected. My first knowledge of the composer. From BBC Radio 3 ( I heard only the Mayer work ):

“Hannah French continues this week's survey of recent recordings from the BBC NOW with a programme with Bach and ends with a concerto by the Anglo-Indian composer, John Mayer. “

Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No 3
Stravinsky: Concerto in E flat "Dumbarton Oaks"
Martinu: Tre Ricercari (1938)
BBC National Orchestra of Wales
Paul Goodwin (conductor)

John Mayer ( 1929 - 2004 ) : Violin Concerto Concerto No. 2, ‘Sarangi ka Sangit’ ( 1978-79 )
Sasha Rozhdestvensky (violin)
Debashish Chaudhuri (conductor)

Mayer bio : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mayer_(composer)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000py7x (The Mayer VC starts about 45 minutes in.)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:35 am

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:04 pm
Based on the BBC presenter’s summary of the Mayer VC, I was reluctant to hear, but recalled I initially did not care for the Britten or Szymanowski VC’s either ( now do enjoy them ), and the Prokofieff VC # 1 is one of my fav works period, so did listen and enjoyed, re-heard. More lyrical than expected. My first knowledge of the composer. From BBC Radio 3 ( I heard only the Mayer work ):

“Hannah French continues this week's survey of recent recordings from the BBC NOW with a programme with Bach and ends with a concerto by the Anglo-Indian composer, John Mayer. “

Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No 3
Stravinsky: Concerto in E flat "Dumbarton Oaks"
Martinu: Tre Ricercari (1938)
Paul Goodwin (conductor)

John Mayer ( 1929 - 2004 ) : Violin Concerto Concerto No. 2, ‘Sarangi ka Sangit’ ( 1978-79 )
Sasha Rozhdestvensky (violin)
Debashish Chaudhuri (conductor)

Mayer bio : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mayer_(composer)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000py7x (The Mayer VC starts about 45 minutes in.)
That looks interesting. I may skip the Bach, depending on how it's played, but I enjoy the Dumbarton Oaks Concerto by Stravinsky and the Martinu piece very much. Both are difficult and not often given in concert. Could Sasha Rozhdestvensky be a son of the famous conductor?

I, too, enjoy the Britten, though I didn't warm to it at first. The Prokofiev I & II were early favorites of mine as a teenager, since Ormandy recorded both with Isaac Stern. Interestingly, Stern also recorded II with Bernstein in 1957, but that was in mono, and was replaced in their catalogue by the stereo Ormandy a few years later.

As for Szymanowski, Rattle's recording in Birmingham was my introduction to both of his VCs, and I liked them immediately. There are better versions now (notably Nicola Benedetti and Frank Peter Zimmermann, both of whom enjoy a lusher sound from their respective orchestras), but I still enjoy Thomas Zehetmair's sensitive playing with Rattle from time to time.

I'll let you know what I think of the Mayer.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:22 am

maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:35 am
Could Sasha Rozhdestvensky be a son of the famous conductor?
I wondered, too, but have not checked further, yet.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:23 am

Young French pianist, Orlando Bass ( born 1994 ) brief live videos, Nov.,2020,Paris, all new to me.

I enjoyed this movement of the Olivier Penard ( 1974 - ) Piano Sonata No.2 :
https://www.francemusique.fr/concert/in ... -mouvement

Not heard anyone improvise on a Faure song (!) , but interesting, if hardly recognized the original Faure Nocturne :
https://www.francemusique.fr/concert/in ... riel-faure

Bass a composer himself, 3 excerpts from his work “Ironies”, again interesting :
https://www.francemusique.fr/concert/in ... erpetuel-b

Went on to hear Bass play the entire Penard Sonata #2 ,with composer ( I think) turning pages:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma6zSE1YDxE (Live video, 31 minutes,Feb. 2020 )

Then heard Bass play Penard’s motorik Piano Sonata No.1, which I felt more interesting, varied, successful than No.2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIJPvinzwhY (Audio only with score, 12 minutes, live Feb. 2018 )

5 more of Bass’ “Ironies”, very nice : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfLcbKZwHXg (Live video,2020 )

Penard bio:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ch&pto=aue

Bass bio: https://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Bass-Orlando.htm

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:38 am

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:22 am
maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:35 am
Could Sasha Rozhdestvensky be a son of the famous conductor?
I wondered, too, but have not checked further, yet.
Yes, Sasha is the son of Gennady Rozhdestvensky:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gennady_Rozhdestvensky

" In 1969, Rozhdestvensky married the pianist Viktoria Postnikova. Together they recorded Tchaikovsky's piano concertos.Their son, Sasha Rozhdestvensky, is a violinist, with whom Rozhdestvensky senior recorded the Glazunov and Shostakovich violin concertos in 2007.
Gennady Rozhdestvensky died on 16 June 2018."

More on Sasha : https://www.rcm.ac.uk/strings/Professor ... /?id=03271

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:03 am

Thanks for checking. I was busy with other posts, but I thought Sasha was their son. Haven't heard him play yet, so I'm looking forward to hearing the concert you posted.

Postnikova didn't record much, but Erato did issue a well-received box of Tchaikovsky's complete piano works (7CDs) that can be streamed on amazon, although it's now OOP and copies are pricey. She also recorded Prokofiev's Piano Concerti with her husband in Russia, of which one of the two discs can also be streamed if you're interested.

IMHO, Rozhdestvensky's earlier recordings are much better than his late ones. I have his digital complete Shostakovich box (now justifiably OOP), and it's quite dull and shapeless, but his 1960's Prokofiev Symphonies are stunningly electric.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Well, I did listen and enjoyed the Stravinsky and the Martinu well enough, but the violin concerto was decidedly not my cup of tea. Just too odd, although Rozhdestvensky was indeed quite brave to attempt the piece and he played well.

I also thought that the lack of an audience sapped the inspiration of the performers quite a bit, although everyone was in good form, everything seemed a bit bland and uninvolved. Never heard of this conductor, but he managed the music well, I thought.

Thanks for sharing.

Am now cleansing my ears with Grumiaux's Mozart:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:40 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:00 pm
Well, I did listen and enjoyed the Stravinsky and the Martinu well enough, but the violin concerto was decidedly not my cup of tea. Just too odd, although Rozhdestvensky was indeed quite brave to attempt the piece and he played well.
Thanks for listening, your views respected of course. My 3rd time thru today, find the Mayer VC more attractive each time.

But then, I find Australian winery Lindeman's "Red Blend" more attractive each time !

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:08 am

A pianist I follow.The Nielsen Chaconne is a gem ( about 24:30 in ) , was on Leif One Andsnes’ debut all-Nielsen Virgin Classics cd many years ago. I enjoy Grieg’s Ballade more than Grieg’s Piano Sonata.

From BBC: “ Norwegian pianist Christian Ihle Hadland presents a selection of Grieg's most well-loved works for this instrument; the first set of Lyric Pieces depicting folk tales and tunes, his epic Ballade and the Chaconne by contemporary Danish composer Carl Nielsen , from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.” Live,with audience, Dec.,2019.

Grieg – Lyric Pieces Op 71 (Nos 1 – 7 )
Nielsen – Chaconne Op 32
Grieg – Ballade Op 24

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000cnqb

Marston Records has a cd set I have of historic pianist -composers, including Grieg himself playing some of his own music, and playing quite well I thought, sound ok considering:

Gramophone and Typewriter Limited
Paris, 2 May 1903

All Grieg :

Alla Menuetto, from Sonata in E Minor, op. 7

Finale (Molto Allegro), from Sonata in E Minor, op. 7 (abridged)

Humoreske in G-sharp Minor, op. 6, no. 2

Bridal Procession, op. 19, no. 2

Butterfly, op. 43, no. 1

To Spring, op. 43, no. 6

Gangar [Norwegian Peasants’ March] op. 54, no. 2

Wedding-Day at Troldhaugen, op. 65, no. 6

Remembrances, op. 71, no. 7

https://www.marstonrecords.com/collecti ... dary-piano

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:20 pm

Alexander Ghindin plays Alexey Shor’s 13-minute Piano Sonata in A minor, live video,Moscow, posted to YT 12/5/2020.Ghindin cared enough to memorize.I am a sucker for most Russian, especially late-Romanticism.Not great here, but an easy listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT0lOc0P_Y4

I have a recording of Ghindin years ago playing Bizet’s transcription of the Saint-Saens PC # 2 for solo piano, thus my initial interest in the YT.

Mitsuko Uchida’s recording of the Alban Berg Piano Sonata, one of the most wonderful 13-minute episodes of any piano music and any piano playing. This YT I believe , and mine , is a cd-r rip I believe from her 2001 recording on Decca cd, which Decca was paired with solo piano works by Schoenberg and Webern, and the Schoenberg PC with Boulez/Cleveland Orchestra. Worth a track download :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNZFV5lamv4

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:41 pm

For clarinet fans ! I prefer the clarinet versions of the Brahms sonatas vs.viola.Hough’s arrangement of the LvB “Spring” Violin Sonata as a clarinet quintet was interesting here , but the original is more “ Springy”.

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert?id=2712275

Enregistré le 06/01/2020 au Wigmore Hall à Londres

Johannes Brahms - Sonate en fa mineur pour clarinette et piano, op. 120/1

Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonate No. 5 en Fa Majeur"Le Printemps", op. 24 (Arrangement Stephen Hough)

Johannes Brahms - Sonate en Mi bémol Majeur pour clarinette et piano, op. 120/2
- Quintette pour clarinette et cordes en si mineur, op.115

Stephen Hough, piano
Michael Collins, clarinette
Quatuor à cordes Castalian

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:20 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:41 pm
For clarinet fans ! I prefer the clarinet versions of the Brahms sonatas vs.viola.Hough’s arrangement of the LvB “Spring” Violin Sonata as a clarinet quintet was interesting here , but the original is more “ Springy”.

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert?id=2712275

Enregistré le 06/01/2020 au Wigmore Hall à Londres

Johannes Brahms - Sonate en fa mineur pour clarinette et piano, op. 120/1

Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonate No. 5 en Fa Majeur"Le Printemps", op. 24 (Arrangement Stephen Hough)

Johannes Brahms - Sonate en Mi bémol Majeur pour clarinette et piano, op. 120/2
- Quintette pour clarinette et cordes en si mineur, op.115

Stephen Hough, piano
Michael Collins, clarinette
Quatuor à cordes Castalian
Michael Collins is a particular favorite artist, as is Hough of course. I'll definitely try this soon!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:19 am

My first hearing of this young ( 32 ) Russian-American pianist , here with the Oregon Symphony Orchestra. I came into the broadcast on my local PBS FM by chance , right at the beginning, so did not hear the Piston,chose not to hear the Tchaikovsky.I believe you have to hear the Piston to get to the concerto, which may be a good thing.Click on the "Hour One " arrow and wait a few seconds.

While perhaps not bringing all the darkness, introspection I like in the work, certainly an impressive, fearless performance especially live:

Hour 1

PISTON
: Symphony No. 7
PROKOFIEV
: Piano Concerto No. 2
TCHAIKOVSKY
: Symphony No. 6, "Pathetique"

Carlos Kalmar - Conductor
Natasha Paremski - Piano

https://www.yourclassical.org/programs/ ... 2020/06/01

Bio: https://natashaparemski.com/biography/

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:08 am

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:19 am
My first hearing of this young ( 32 ) Russian-American pianist , here with the Oregon Symphony Orchestra.
PROKOFIEV
: Piano Concerto No. 2
Sorry,corrected link : https://www.yourclassical.org/programs/ ... 2020/06/01

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:56 pm

What I suspect is a rare chance to hear live a performance of Martinu’s Concerto for Two String Orchestras,Piano and Timpani, l’Orchestre national de France, Francois-Xavier Roth,conductor, Cedric Tiberghien,pianist. An unrelenting , severe work I ,nonetheless , enjoy, and a huge challenge for all the artists involved.Good quality video, 20 mins:

https://www.francemusique.fr/concert/ma ... n-onf-roth

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:07 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:56 pm
What I suspect is a rare chance to hear live a performance of Martinu’s Concerto for Two String Orchestras,Piano and Timpani, l’Orchestre national de France, Francois-Xavier Roth,conductor, Cedric Tiberghien,pianist. An unrelenting , severe work I ,nonetheless , enjoy, and a huge challenge for all the artists involved.Good quality video, 20 mins:

https://www.francemusique.fr/concert/ma ... n-onf-roth
Thanks, Rach3! I really love that piece and also follow the performers involved, so will watch tomorrow! 8)

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:02 pm

Interesting program from pianist Clare Hammond, a pianist new to me, as were the Boulanger,Peate,Finnis works. The somber Peate very brief, but effective.One of the best Rach Sonatas I’ve heard, at times more magisterial , at times more introspective, than often presented , the bravura handled with aplomb was well as musically, the work elevated above a virtuosic rush of blood. The Finnis I will re-hear, Ravel-ian,lyrical, nostalgiac,Minimilist influences, wonderful work.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000q36r 1 hour.

From BBC : “Presteigne Festival, live at St David's Hall, Cardiff. A fixture in the Welsh cultural calendar for approaching 40 years, due to the pandemic this year the festival wasn't able to run its usual programme of concerts in the historic and scenic setting of Presteigne in Radnorshire, Powys. A regular performer at the festival, pianist Clare Hammond presents an eclectic programme of music ranging from Lili Boulanger's gentle, yet harmonically adventurous Little Pieces to Rachmaninov and Earl Wild's homage to Gershwin. Reflecting the festival's support of new music, Clare includes two works that were written for her, Robert Peate's Pearl, which was premiered at the festival in 2013 and Edmund Finnis's Youth, which received its premiere in 2017.”

Lili Boulanger: Trois Morceaux
Robert Peate: Pearl
Sergei Rachmaninov: Sonata No 2 (revised version, 1931)
Edmund Finnis: Youth ( If interested : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk9L4HYTFEY )
Earl Wild: Virtuoso Etudes after Gershwin : ‘I Got Rhythm’

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:23 pm

Just finished hearing the Martinu & Bartok. Very well done, especially the Martinu. Can't remember the last time I heard the Bartok. Thanks! :D

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:08 pm

Welsh pianist Llyr Williams, a pianist I follow, in a beautiful recital. D.959 , 664, 894 probably my fav Schubert piano sonatas.The Wodoforde-Finden encores are exquisite as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000q855

Per BBC: “ In the first concert this week ( 12/15/2020 ) broadcast live from St David’s Hall in Cardiff, Llŷr Williams performs Schubert’s substantial Sonata in G major, D894. Unlike many of Schubert’s works composed in his last few years, which are tinged with a sense of melancholy as the composer was faced with his own mortality, this piano sonata is tranquil in mood. The concert closes with his iconic Ave Maria, arranged for piano by the virtuoso pianist and composer, Franz Liszt. Between the two Schubert items, Llŷr Williams performs two of Amy Woodforde-Finden’s Four Indian Love Lyrics, transcribed for solo piano by the pianist Stephen Hough.”

Schubert: Sonata in G, D894
Woodforde-Finden (Trans. Hough): Kashmiri Song
Woodforde-Finden (Trans. Hough): Till I wake
Schubert (Arr. Liszt): Ave Maria, D839

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:02 pm

Live at Cardiff,Wales,Dec.16,2020:

Bryn Terfel, bass-baritone
Jâms Coleman, piano

Schubert: Schwanengesang, D957 (selection of 5 )
Roger Quilter: Come away death
Roger Quilter: O mistress mine
Roger Quilter: Blow blow thou winter wind
Schubert: Trinklied, D888
Schubert: Ständchen, D889
Schubert: An Silvia, D891
Dilys Elwyn-Edwards: The Cloths of Heaven
Meirion Williams: Ora Pro Nobis
Bryan Davies (Arr.): A medley of folk tunes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000qbh7 1 hour

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:47 am

On Wednesday, December 16, in honor of Beethoven's 250th, I played one of my old LP's: Rudolf Serkin's performance of the Piano Concerto No. 4 with Eugene Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra. Looking at this record brought back some memories. I didn't buy this record; rather, my mother had a connection with Columbia Records and brought home this radio station copy for me. I'm fairly certain that when I played this record, it was my first time hearing this piece. Of course, it was love at first hearing!

So how does this recording stand up over time? In the 50+ years since I first played this record, I've heard many performances of this masterpiece in concert and recordings. Some have equaled, but none has surpassed Serkin and Ormandy.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:55 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:47 am
On Wednesday, December 16, in honor of Beethoven's 250th, I played one of my old LP's: Rudolf Serkin's performance of the Piano Concerto No. 4 with Eugene Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra. Looking at this record brought back some memories. I didn't buy this record; rather, my mother had a connection with Columbia Records and brought home this radio station copy for me. I'm fairly certain that when I played this record, it was my first time hearing this piece. Of course, it was love at first hearing!

So how does this recording stand up over time? In the 50+ years since I first played this record, I've heard many performances of this masterpiece in concert and recordings. Some have equaled, but none has surpassed Serkin and Ormandy.
Good morning, Hank!

I love that you posted the original album cover. 😉

Frankly, even though I grew up in Wayne, I bonded with Van Cliburn's recording of Beethoven's Concerto IV with Reiner/Chicago when a teenager, rather than Serkin/Ormandy, which today I also admire. Two great artists with two great orchestras, now passed from the scene. I heard Serkin/Ormandy perform the concerto live, of course, at the Academy of Music and, while I was not fond of Ormandy's Beethoven Symphonies during the 1960's (He recorded them all for Columbia in a (for me) quite forgettable box of LPs.), I did admire their live performance of the Fourth Concerto.

Just for the fun of it, here's a review of their repeat performance of the work in New York's Carnegie Hall in 1964 from the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/11/18/arch ... works.html

SERKIN AT THE PIANO IN BEETHOVEN WORKS

Nov. 18, 1964

Credit...The New York Times Archives
The pianist Rudolf Serkin again played Beethoven with the Philadelphia Orchestra last night at Carnegie Hall, with Eugene Ormandy conducting. But in the case of these forces, the lack of novelty does not mean a lack of musical pleasure.

The program was the second in the Philadelphia's four‐concert Beethoven series here, and it offered the Third and Fourth Concertos, with Mr. Serkin, and the Eighth Symphony.

The Fourth Concerto was the high point of this program, as it is of most. This deeply felt, reflective, unusual work continually renews the attention.

If anything, it was even more thoughtful than usual. Mr. Ormandy took it at a leisurely pace — especially in quiet moments—that in no way held it back. It was a lyrical Fourth, with a touch of sadness. And, naturally, Mr. Serkin and Mr. Ormandy and the men of the orchestra provided plenty of dazzle for the more resplendent passages.

There was plenty of dazzle and verve, too, in the Third Concerto. The Eighth Symphony alone on the program lacked spirit, though it was given the usual Philädelphian perfection of sound.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:55 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Some have equaled, but none has surpassed Serkin and Ormandy.
Thanks, Ricordanza, indeed wonderful.YT sound, but here is your Serkin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HNRZvLnfUs

Others I enjoy are studio recordings by Fou Ts’ong and Schnabel’s first, and a live Backhaus/Knappertsbusch,all at YT :

Backhaus, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHjF3dzMJhU
Schnabel, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyNtZ-avb0
Ts’ong, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRuEWtyZpbM

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:23 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:55 am
Ricordanza wrote:
Some have equaled, but none has surpassed Serkin and Ormandy.
Thanks, Ricordanza, indeed wonderful.YT sound, but here is your Serkin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HNRZvLnfUs

Others I enjoy are studio recordings by Fou Ts’ong and Schnabel’s first, and a live Backhaus/Knappertsbusch,all at YT :

Backhaus, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHjF3dzMJhU
Schnabel, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyNtZ-avb0
Ts’ong, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRuEWtyZpbM
I'll gladly check out Fou Ts'ong. Haven't heard him at all, although I've seen his name.

My current listening has mostly revolved around Paul Lewis's truly fine recent recording of the cycle. Very fine, and generously made available for streaming on amazon:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:12 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:23 pm
I'll gladly check out Fou Ts'ong. Haven't heard him at all, although I've seen his name.
Fou Ts'ong was 3rd at the 1955 Chopin Competition.His reading is influenced, I think, by Chopin's E minor Concerto, and the cd 's paired Haydn PC, a less confrontational approach than the more dramatic Berlin or Viennese school readings of the the other 3 discussed here.His slow mov. is magical, although recorded sound balances may be an issue.He may not have had quite the technical aplomb of Serkin and Backhaus, but I would not want to be without his reading.If you have all 4 discussed here, ie. Serkin,Backhaus,Ts'ong, plus Rubinstein/Krips, you probably have enough.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:45 pm

Hans Werner Henze's Piano Concerto No.2, mine a different CPO cd with other artists, but fine here as well with Eschenbach. I could not find a YT autoplay , but you can start here. It grows on you, about 50 minutes so a challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izJu2Ms7mlk

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:48 am

Alina Ibragimova ,live.Good to hear the entire Partita and the Bartok is a stunner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qkl1

Bach: Partita No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004

Bartok: Sonata for violin solo, Sz. 117
Recorded at LSO St Luke's, London, on 30 October 2020.