Beethoven Cello Sonata Opus 5 #2

Lilith

Beethoven Cello Sonata Opus 5 #2

Post by Lilith » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:15 pm

Is anyone familiar with this work?

The first movement is pretty interesting, but how awful is that 2nd movement? I could toss out some adjectives but will spare you.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Beethoven Cello Sonata Opus 5 #2

Post by Lance » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:13 am

Lilith wrote:Is anyone familiar with this work?

The first movement is pretty interesting, but how awful is that 2nd movement? I could toss out some adjectives but will spare you.

Anyone agree or disagree?
This is one of my favourite Beethoven Cello Sonatas. Can you explain what and why you think the second movement is "awful?" What don't you like about it?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Lilith

Post by Lilith » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:11 pm

It seems to have absolutely no direction - it sounds like 10 variations of a theme auditioning to accompany a ketchup commercial.
It goes absolutely nowhere and if it took him more than 5 minutes to write it I would be shocked. Its not worthy of a composition student, no less the Great One.

I must say I'm not a big fan of rondos ... they better be good otherwise they are an assault on the ears. Certainly, I feel this one was.

This is totally in contrast to a well developed, interesting first movement.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:26 pm

Lilith wrote:It seems to have absolutely no direction - it sounds like 10 variations of a theme auditioning to accompany a ketchup commercial.
For a second I thought I was in the Pub and you were talking about a John Kerry speech. :D
Lilith wrote:
It goes absolutely nowhere and if it took him more than 5 minutes to write it I would be shocked. Its not worthy of a composition student, no less the Great One.

I must say I'm not a big fan of rondos ... they better be good otherwise they are an assault on the ears. Certainly, I feel this one was.

This is totally in contrast to a well developed, interesting first movement.
I understand. I remember losing my concentration listening to Rondo movements as they went on their merry way. Listening with a score helped focus some of that concentration and one can see some interesting things going on. And taken on their own terms, they can be quite delightful.

John