Jean Louis Florentz -composer

PJME

Jean Louis Florentz -composer

Post by PJME » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:54 am

I would like to present this french composer to the forum. Although not many works have been issued on Cd, I was deeply impressed by their quality.
Florentz died far too young in 2004,aged only 57 and leaves a rather small oeuvre. He studied with O.Messiaen and Antoine Duhamel. He was not only a composer but also a scientist (natural history) ,an ethno musicologist and studied arabian /ethiopian litterature.
His magnum opus may be "Assun" (Requiem de la vierge) for soli, children's choir,mixed choir and orchestra - not on CD,alas.It is a very strong piece,religious in a refined,intelligent way.
Two Cd's are fairly recent :on the Forlane label ,2 large works for orchestra (ca 30 mins each):L'enfant des iles and L'anneau de salomon.
Music with a strong tonal feel,luxuriant as Debussy,Dutilleux and even Villa Lobos ...(maybe Hovhaness??? ).But Florentz is recognisably himself :often "soft" in an exotic way,and always mysterious, mystical.
On the MFA label (musique Française d'Aujourd'hui) one can find his celloconcerto "Songe de Lluc Alcari",a symphonic work "Le jardin d'Amenta" and a cellosolo "L'ange du Tamaris". - Google will give you easily more details.
Florentz belonged to a growing group of french "neo-tonal" composers. Guillaume Connesson and Thierry Escaich are probably other artists to be followed.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:17 am

Thank you for this information. I know not Florentz's work at all but you have piqued my interest! The Globe label [5215] is offering Florentz's "Asmara" in a collection of French Choral music, including music by Debussy, Francaix and others.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]