Where was Lance?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Where was Lance?

Post by Lance » Tue May 04, 2021 3:28 pm

Well, I woke over the weekend and noted I could not get hooked up on my computer for online services. Having to wait for a couple days, the service guy for Spectrum spending about an hour-and-a-half here. The router burned out. Do you know what it is to NOT be able to get online? Frustrating and saddening - especially when we put so much importance on our electronic devices which carry us through day-to-day operations. Was life easier and better before all this stuff. Probably not in the final analysis.

Then my bank alerted me that they saw a suspicious Amazon charge on my account for the amount of $11.17. Checking all orders, I had nothing ordered for that amount. That necessitates calling the bank. They then cancel your card. The problem with that is that I have many auto-payments for this Visa card and I can never remember them all. Then you have to wait for your new card (mine is promised for Wednesday), so will see.
On top of all of that, I lost an important 1099 tax document and need to get my taxes done by May 15th. Try getting help from Social Security to secure a copy of that when, online or direct phone contact, they cannot confirm your address!!! They check on any previous addresses, and none of them matched. Maybe I opened up a can or worms here with someone hacking into my account. We shall see what we shall see, as the Three Stooges used to say.

So three times, and it should be over. Thank you for letting me get this off my chest.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Donald Isler

Re: Where was Lance?

Post by Donald Isler » Tue May 04, 2021 8:31 pm

Sorry to hear you had all these problems and complications, Lance!
Donald Isler

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue May 04, 2021 10:03 pm

Thank you, Donald. One-by-one, they will disappear, thankfully.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:28 pm
Thank you for letting me get this off my chest.
We couldn't stop you, Lance. We tried, but in vain.
Still, we do sympathise. My internet has gone down four times in the past few weeks, and the people responbile - NBN - have no public interface. You have to go through your service provider. I booked a technician - it was going to take him a fortnight %^$@!(&!. Luckily the problem was not just me, and was resolved in a few hours. But I can't work without the internet, and, let's face it, most of us rely on it totally day by day. They shouldn't get away with such incompetence - but they do.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 am

Technology is great....except when it isn't. We've all experienced these glitches, but to have three of them at the same time is overwhelming. Lance, I hope you are able to solve these problems as quickly as possible.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 am

Holy cow, Lance! I was wondering......

Auto-pay is a terrific pain in the neck when something goes wrong with your credit card. We have a policy in our house that we don't use it for various reasons, except for charitable contributions and the one cellphone that we use. Writing checks every month is a hassle, but we feel safer if we have to change accounts.

About 15 years ago, two unknown $25.00 transactions showed up on our checking account, and the bank found out that they were from a corrupt individual that was milking their accounts at an office in India! We had to cancel and re-open our account, which was a major and time-consuming annoyance. Not a happy time for us. Lesson learned.

Barney, I don't know what I would do without internet service now, as I listen to so much music by streaming it. Just last week, our internet was down for the whole morning for the first time in a decade, and even though I was able to play CDs, without access to the NY Times and CMG, I was bored stiff and had to turn on CNN without sound because Teresa sleeps late. Grrrr...

Still, Spectrum has raised our monthly cable/internet fee (without phone service, which would be extra!) now to almost $200, even with the "discount" we get for bulk service to our building. The rest of the world pays less than half of that, I'm sure!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 05, 2021 10:21 am

maestrob wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 am
Still, Spectrum has raised our monthly cable/internet fee (without phone service, which would be extra!) now to almost $200, even with the "discount" we get for bulk service to our building. The rest of the world pays less than half of that, I'm sure!
Here in the boonies we pay the same , for our single house,also without phone, just TV, Internet,Email, about 60 TV channels only about 25% of which we want.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 05, 2021 10:29 am

maestrob wrote:
Holy cow, Lance! I was wondering......
I tend to agree with Maestrob about auto-pay.We also dont do on-line banking.

Lance, there is a change of address form you can process with Social Security, assume they advised you, would send you one. I'm also sure you know, but you can also file forms for tax filing date extensions for your State,Federal income tax returns with no penalty as long as you've paid all of the 2020 tax that would be due with the return or would have a refund coming.Extension date for Federal is Oct.15,2021.

Good luck!

barney

Post by barney » Wed May 05, 2021 6:23 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:21 am
maestrob wrote:
Here in the boonies we pay the same , for our single house,also without phone, just TV, Internet,Email, about 60 TV channels only about 25% of which we want.
I have separate providers for cable internet (including email) and for TV.
The internet is $A80 ($US62), unlimited downloads, quite good but probably not as fast as you (average 50mbs). The cable TV is $A107 ($US82), but I subscribe to too many services - sport, movies, documentaries. I plan to get rid of movies.
So that's about $US144, so it is cheaper, yes.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed May 05, 2021 11:55 pm

Well, thank you all for your good wishes. One-by-one, each problem seems to come to a reasonable solution. At least the Internet is back up and running (needed a new router!). My new credit card came, as promised, in two days. I'm already receiving Amazon purchases saying credit card was not accepted. I managed to talk with Social Security locally who could also not verify any information including my residence address, which I've had since 1968. I had to send a copy of my driver's license with a note indicating that the present address I have had all these years. Apparently, someone in Rochester, NY is registered on my SS account unbeknownst to me! Perhaps I have opened a can of worms. Amazing how problems creep up and gather all at once. It is very frustrating to me who is normally very optimistic about just about everything!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu May 06, 2021 7:51 am

Lance wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:55 pm
Well, thank you all for your good wishes. One-by-one, each problem seems to come to a reasonable solution. At least the Internet is back up and running (needed a new router!). My new credit card came, as promised, in two days. I'm already receiving Amazon purchases saying credit card was not accepted. I managed to talk with Social Security locally who could also not verify any information including my residence address, which I've had since 1968. I had to send a copy of my driver's license with a note indicating that the present address I have had all these years. Apparently, someone in Rochester, NY is registered on my SS account unbeknownst to me! Perhaps I have opened a can of worms. Amazing how problems creep up and gather all at once. It is very frustrating to me who is normally very optimistic about just about everything!
OMG! :shock:

Lance, it's a good thing you followed up on this!

I once did an online search and , while I'll spare you the details, came up with someone in Texas who had used my name and SS number to buy some sort of warehouse in....Houston? Haven't done anything about it, as it has not affected my credit rating or benefits in any way, but stuff like this does happen, probably more often than we realize.

For that matter, we once found out (well after the fact) about somebody who collected benefit checks (plus her own) from her deceased husband for many years!

Unfortunately, the world seems to be filled with many fraudsters these days.

Good luck with fixing this!