Has anyone been collecting the Naxos' Fritz Kreisler CDs?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Has anyone been collecting the Naxos' Fritz Kreisler CDs?

Post by Lance » Sun May 09, 2021 10:15 pm

Some years ago, RCA issued a 11 CD boxed set [61649] of the RCA 78s; I was lucky to get it, but there was so much more he recorded. Naxos has been religiously releasing Kreisler's CDs — the acoustics and electrics — all stunningly restored. It is fascinating to listen to the late acoustics from 1925 and the switch in 1926 to the electric process and what a difference in the great Kreisler sound.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

mikealdren

Re: Has anyone been collecting the Naxos' Fritz Kreisler CDs?

Post by mikealdren » Mon May 10, 2021 2:46 am

Hi Lance,
I have the Beethoven sonatas and a couple of others and, yes, the sound is excellent. Recommended and I'm sure I'll buy more. Sadly, as you say, the early recordings are really rather limited although the playing is not!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 10, 2021 8:17 am

Lance, I've been streaming Fritz Kreisler's Icon box on and off on Amazon, but the only CDs I have of his playing so far are those included in RCA's Rachmaninoff box. I do revel in those when I play that every year.

I MUST start ordering those 5-6 Naxos releases, though while they are in print. Naxos is doing collectors a remarkable service with their magical restorations.

If you don't have it, you may be interested in the duets he recorded with John McCormack on Pearl (1916-24). Several copies are currently available at a very reasonable price:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon May 10, 2021 12:29 pm

If that's Pearl 9315, then I am well equipped! :D
maestrob wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:17 am
If you don't have it, you may be interested in the duets he recorded with John McCormack on Pearl (1916-24). Several copies are currently available at a very reasonable price:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 10, 2021 12:58 pm

OK, Lance! What about this one? Is it the same material? The Pearl issue says 1916-24, but this one starts with records issued in 1910, and is probably a better restoration, IMHO. Maybe I should get both? What do you think?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon May 10, 2021 4:48 pm

That is Nimbus 7868 and no doubt is better processed, though I don't recall who did the restoration on the Pearl issue. Oftentimes I have been unimpressed with Pearl's transfers unless they were accomplished by Marston or Obert-Thorn. In any case, who would not want a McCormack/Kreisler disc? A collaboration made in heaven, no? :)
maestrob wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:58 pm
OK, Lance! What about this one? Is it the same material? The Pearl issue says 1916-24, but this one starts with records issued in 1910, and is probably a better restoration, IMHO. Maybe I should get both? What do you think?

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief