What I listened to today

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Re: What I listened to today

Post by jserraglio » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:31 pm

Digital transfer. Love the Hummel! I used to own this LP.

Hummel Piano Concerto in b minor, Op.89 Martin Galling, Innsbruck Symphony Orchestra - Robert Wagner, cond.

Haydn Piano Concerto in D Major Alfred Brendel, Vienna Chamber Orchestra – Paul Angerer, cond.

1961 & 1963
Turnabout TV 34073S

Last edited by jserraglio on Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:51 pm

Furtwangler/VPO - 1954 Walkure. A surprisingly sweet-sounding digital transfer of this astonishing classic performance from of all places, the USSR! Melodiya LP set. Enthralling, despite the occasional surface noise. I thought I would just sample it but wound up listening to all but the final couple scenes today before I had to go to work.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:30 am

Mozart: Piano Quartet No. 2 in E-Flat, K. 493
George Szell, piano
Members of the Budapest String Quartet:
Josef Roisman, violin
Boris Kroyt, viola
Mischa Schneider, cello

Recorded on July 20, 1946, in CBS Studios, Hollywood, California, on Columbia 78-rpm matrices XCO 36786 through XCO 36791. Issued in 1947 as Columbia Masterworks set M-669

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nWXmXjRx5U

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:12 am

Wonderful! I probably have that in the George Szell megabox. I'll have to put this one on my stereo later on. Thanks for the suggestion!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:29 am

jserraglio wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:51 pm
Furtwangler/VPO - 1954 Walkure. A surprisingly sweet-sounding digital transfer of this astonishing classic performance from of all places, the USSR! Melodiya LP set. Enthralling, despite the occasional surface noise. I thought I would just sample it but wound up listening to all but the final couple scenes today before I had to go to work.

The transliteration of the line under the "Melodiya" headline reads: "Vsesoyuznaya firma gramplastinok" (All-soviet company of record-vinyl?), while the second line refers to where the recording happened: "Vesoyuznaya studiya gramzarisi" (All-Soviet studio recorded in).

My Russian's not that good, so if anyone can do better, please do.

Here's the Russian Wikipedia website on Melodiya Records' history, if you're interested (Google will translate it for you) :

https://ru-m-wikipedia-org.translate.go ... pto=nui,sc

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:15 am

maestrob wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:12 am
Wonderful! I probably have that in the George Szell megabox. I'll have to put this one on my stereo later on. Thanks for the suggestion!
Yes, Disc 109. cf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-aNvTJ ... Bo&index=1

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:34 am

Just heard the first CD of this two disc album yesterday as my first hearing of pianist/composer Kit Armstrong. Armstrong reveals wonders in music of John Bull and William Byrd, works composed for the virginal originally and here recorded on a modern piano in what is to my ears a major release. Highly recommended. I will be following up with more explorations of this fine young keyboard artist.

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:26 pm

Roy Harris' Third......Bernstein 1

Baffling, isn't it, how you can't focus your listening during an afternoon hearing a Haydn piano sonata, a Mozart sonata, Bach's Chromatic Fantasy & Fugue, that the only thing to get your full attention is the Harris Third?
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:37 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:30 am
Masur-Leipzig Gewandhaus - Beethoven Missa Solemnis 1973 Eterna LP
https://www.discogs.com/release/1265654 ... AwODQzNzU=

Anna Tomowa-Sintow
Annelies Burmeister
Peter Schreier
Hermann Christian Polster

Wonderful performance. I am a fan of his early GDR recordings, not of his NYP, except for Britten’s War Requiem.
The one recording of Masur's in New York that I admire is his reading of Shostakovich XXIII, with Yevgeny Yevtushenko reciting his verses before each movement. It's a stunning performance and the tension is heightened by Masur's political involvements at the time. Here's the CD:

Metropolitan Opera bass/baritone Sergei Leiferkus whose voice was, I think, ideal, is the magnificent soloist.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:05 am

Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night' Dream

Frühbeck de Burgos / New Philharmonia Orchestra
Decca SXL 6404

A reissue is currently on Decca Eloquence. Decca 461 435-2