Mussorgsky Boris Godunov DVD The Bolshio Opera 1978

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Mussorgsky Boris Godunov DVD The Bolshio Opera 1978

Post by lennygoran » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:25 pm

Another cold day-sunny but with the wind we were happy to be indoors We agree with the review below and found Nesterenko's performance superb! Regards, Len

Mussorgsky Boris Godunov DVD The Bolshio Opera Ebay

Total Price: $11.45

Mussorgsky - Boris Godunov / Nesterenko, Piavko, Arkhipova, Yaroslavtsev, Kalinina, Sokolov, Eisen, Khaikin, Bolshoi Opera

Here's an editorial review from Amazon:

Editorial Reviews

Universally acknowledged as the greatest of all Russian operas, this is a faithful and often dazzling production of the standard Rimsky-Korsakov version taped ³live² at the Bolshoi in 1978. As Boris, the renowned Yevgeni Nesterenko is as justifiably identified with the role in his generation as Chaliapin, London and Kipness were in theirs. Nesterenko gives a remarkably vivid, human portrait of the tormented half-crazed Tsar, and is supported by a first rate ensemble in a richly designed and costumed production that represents opera at its grandest. Particularly outstanding are Vladislav Piavko as the Pretender, Valery Yaroslavtsev as Pimen, Irina Arkhipova as Marina (a role generally associated with Vishnevskaya), Galina Kalinina as Xenia, and Aleksei Maslennikov as the Simpleton Because of its complex structure and excessive length, Boris is seldom performed without cuts, chief among these is Marina¹s Boudoir scene whose omission here is hardly obtrusive. Of greater importance, however, is the logical reverse order of the final two scenes. In Mussorgsky¹s original version, Boris¹s death preceded the ³revolutionary scene² which ends the opera. In the Rimsky-Korsakov version, the death of Boris finishes the epic with a shattering impact leaving the viewer overwhelmed. Boris Khaikin conducts the most complete version of this masterwork currently available on DVD. The sound recording is good, and viewers may also be amused as the camera discreetly tours the Bolshoi Theatre during the few recorded minutes of intermission. This rare performance of Boris Godunov is the finest and only full length version of this opera on DVD. It captures Yevgeni Nesterenko at the high point of his brilliant career. It is a total Russian production of stunning depth and magnitude. - Richard Hornack Opera News

maestrob

Re: Mussorgsky Boris Godunov DVD The Bolshio Opera 1978

Post by maestrob » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:45 am

I'm not sure that the Opera News review is totally correct when it states that this is "the most complete Boris Godunov on DVD." There are quite a few others that I'd need to check out. As fine a production as this is (I've owned it since its initial release.), the Soviets did cut a scene between Rangoni & Marina (just before chorus enters followed by the love scene in the garden between her and Dmitry) that runs about 15 minutes, during which Rangoni puts Marina in her place and makes her swear to serve the Catholic church in spite of all her worldly ambitions. At the end of the scene, he totally dominates her, and the Soviets found this highly offensive. Boris Christoff's recording on Angel (EMI) includes this scene, as does Gergiev's double edition with both versions of the opera: Moussorgsky's original 1869 premiere without the love interest, and the 1872 revision for which he added Marina as a character.

Having grown up with George London's famous recording made in Russia in the early 1960's by Melodiya and marketed here by Columbia (London was the first non-Russian to be invited to perform and record the role at the Bolshoi.), as well as the Angel set with Boris Christoff, I have loved this work since I was a young teenager and own an orchestral score of Rimsky-Korsakov's version. I've even sung some parts of the lead role.

It's a magnificent work, whatever version you choose. Shostakovich actually rescored it as well, although I've never heard that version, as did the great choral conductor from Philadelphia Igor Buketoff for the MET some decades previous. Although it's now fashionable to use Mussorgsky's original awkward scoring, I still prefer Rimsky's sensible and unobtrusive revision, which is what's on the DVD you're posting about here, Len.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:09 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:45 am
I still prefer Rimsky's sensible and unobtrusive revision, which is what's on the DVD you're posting about here, Len.
Brian thanks for the info-GO RIMSKY GO] Regards, Len :D

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:31 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:09 am
maestrob wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:45 am
I still prefer Rimsky's sensible and unobtrusive revision, which is what's on the DVD you're posting about here, Len.
Brian thanks for the info-GO RIMSKY GO] Regards, Len :D
I know you probably don't want another Boris, but this one dating from 2002 with Gergiev is also available used for $11.58 and it includes the scene omitted in Nesterenko's Soviet production. Gergiev does use Moussorgsky's original orchestration though, but for musical historical reasons I would recommend this version also.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:47 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:31 am

I know you probably don't want another Boris, but this one dating from 2002 with Gergiev is also available used for $11.58 and it includes the scene omitted in Nesterenko's Soviet production.
Brian thanks-a good find on your part but for now I'll pass as I want to buy other used operas I've never seen. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:22 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:47 am
maestrob wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:31 am

I know you probably don't want another Boris, but this one dating from 2002 with Gergiev is also available used for $11.58 and it includes the scene omitted in Nesterenko's Soviet production.
Brian thanks-a good find on your part but for now I'll pass as I want to buy other used operas I've never seen. Regards, Len
How about Prince Igor for $10.00? Did you see it when the MET did it? This one is led by Gergiev from about 20 years ago...

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:56 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:22 am

How about Prince Igor for $10.00? Did you see it when the MET did it? This one is led by Gergiev from about 20 years ago...

Brian yes-just bought it--thanks. Saw it live at the Met-hated their production. Regards, Len