Jordi Savall: Lachrimae Caravaggio (Hespèrion XXI): 2020 Video

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Jordi Savall: Lachrimae Caravaggio (Hespèrion XXI): 2020 Video

Post by maestrob » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoK8eTqHzak

Jordi Savall - viola da gamba
Ferran Savall - voice
Philippe Pierlot - viola da gamba
Sergi Casademunt - viola da gamba
Lorenz Dufschmidt - viola da gamba
Xavier Puertas - violone
Xavier Diaz-Latorre - lute, theorbo & guitar
Perdo Estevan - percussions

0:00 Lachrimae Caravaggio
2:03 Anonymous - Pavana del re
3:56 Anonymous - Galliarda la traditora
5:37 Jordi Savall - Saltarello
7:22 Giovanni M.Trabaci - Durezze E Ligature
13:15 John Dowland - Lachrimae Pavan
17:06 Orlando Gibbons - In Nomine a 4
19:16 William Brade - Ein Schottisch Tanz
22:15 Jordi Savall - Passacaglia Libertas
25:00 Jordi Savall - Deploratio II
27:43 Luys del Milà - Pavana and Gallarda
30:47 Joan Cabanilles - Corrente Italiana
34:17 Jordi Savall & Dominique Fernandez - Concentus Aria
35:36 Jordi Savall & Dominique Fernandez - Concentus Recitativo
37:52 Jordi Savall - Folias
41:51 Anonymous - Pavane de la Petite Guerre
44:06 Anonymous - Bourrée d'avignonez
46:27 Consonanze Stravaganti (d'après trabaci)
47:57 Jordi Savall - Deploratio III
51:14 Samuel Scheidt - Paduan & Courant dolorosa
57:56 Jordi Savall - Spiritus Morientis
1:00:53 Jordi Savall - Deploratio IV
1:05:29 Luigi Rossi - Fantasie "Les Pieurs d`Orphée"
1:08:40 Anonymous - Sarabande Italienne
1:10:16 Cantus Caravaggio III "In Memoriam"

A co-production of Calicot - Mezzo - TV Sud - Maguelone Festival
Video director: Olivier Simonnet

Belle

Re: Jordi Savall: Lachrimae Caravaggio (Hespèrion XXI): 2020 Video

Post by Belle » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:10 pm

This is absolutely magnificent music!! It's also very mysterious in ways I can't easily explain; ineffable. Gibbons and Dowland were contemporaries of Shakespeare and the great man made references to both in some of his plays. I think Hesperion is giving us an insight into the musical sounds with which Shakespeare would have been familiar. When I studied Renaissance music at university I was awed by the scope, complexity and sheer inventiveness of this repertoire. (My lecturer actually transposed medieval masses into modern notation as part of his research obligations.)

The Latin titles for a couple of the pieces reminded me of the Tridentine Mass and an interview I watched recently with William Buckley and two Catholic intellectuals on "Firing Line". Buckley lamented the end of the Tridentine Mass after Vatican 2 and when he was asked why his reply was unexpected: "privacy". He liked to enjoy the solemnity of the Mass with privacy and this meant in Latin, which he obviously knew. There's something arcane about Latin now and I think today it imbues solemn Renaissance music with added mystery.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:11 am

Thank you for your comments, Belle. At last, something we can agree on.

Having sung most of the major works written to the text of the Catholic Mass, I agree with Buckley's POV. The teaching of Latin in our schools has largely disappeared here. Ours is the last generation to have had that knowledge at our disposal in public schools, and I miss being able to discuss Latin texts with the younger generations. An occasional quote in conversation goes totally unanswered. "Carpe diem!" (Say what?)

Those who refuse to learn history are doomed to repeat it.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:52 pm

For what it's worth, I try to attack the ideas and not the person - unless somebody really goes out of his way to bait. Let it be said that I respect your impeccable musical judgment and always have.

Dr. Peterson talks about the mystery of religious belief and the awe which is part of that experience. I think 'awe' actually describes some of the response to that late Renaissance music in Jordi's program with Hesperion - sacred or secular. In any event, it's almost impossible trying to convey this sense of awe and transcendence in sacred music to anybody who is antagonistic towards religion - and I'm not 'religious' myself in the conventional sense. I'd die in a ditch for the immense richness of the Judeo-Christian cultural legacy - which provided the superstructure for the rich secular musical tradition and its theoretical development.

(Spouse and myself are slowly working our way through the "Firing Line" programs which are available on U-Tube. The largely non-confrontational style of discussion is very appealing, engaging and reminiscent of a period of generally more tolerance towards the differences of others. And the younger Buckley had the most beautiful eyes!! I absolutely love those remote, aloof types!)