What mega-boxes do you hope to see in 2023?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

What mega-boxes do you hope to see in 2023?

Post by Lance » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:47 pm

I'm still waiting for one for Koussevitzky.

Actually, we can be thankful that we have so many wonderful ones at our disposal already. But there is always a need for more, no?

Who is on your list?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

CharmNewton

Re: What mega-boxes do you hope to see in 2023?

Post by CharmNewton » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:20 pm

I haven't done any checking on future plans, but 2023 marks the centennial birth year of some wonderful musicians.

Alicia de Larrocha - It would be nice to see a re-issue of her Decca, RCA and Warner recordings.

Daniil Shafran - I would expect a release on Melodiya, but perhaps Scribendum might consider one as well.

Franco Corelli - His EMI recordings have been haphazardly re-issued over the years. Perhaps Warner will compile a collection, either with complete operas or the scenes where Mr. Corelli appeared (as RCA did for Jussi Björling).

Victoria de Los Angeles - Likewise for this great singer.

Giorgio Tozzi and Cesare Siepi - Perhaps tributes to these great basses.

Wolfgang Sawallisch - Perhaps Universal and/or Warner will issue tributes to this great conductor.

Stanislaw Skrowaczewski - I would expect Eloquence to re-issue his Mercury recordings in a single collection, similar to Paul Paray.

Maria Callas - Perhaps a megabox from Warner with everything. I'd buy it.

2023 will also mark the 50th anniversary of the passing of Pablo Casals. Perhaps Sony will issue the Complete Columbia/RCA Album Collection which I pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk 6 years ago, but never materialized. Also, perhaps Warner will re-issue Casals Edition published by EMI in 2009 and but this time include his recordings as a conductor (Beethoven: Symphonies 1 & 4, Coriolan and Ruins of Athens Overtures, Brahms: Haydn Variations).

And as a wish list item, 2023 marks the 70th anniverary of the passing of Albert Coates. One of the most exciting conductors on record both in orchestral repertoire and operatic excerpts. EMI never issued a tribute collection as they have with so many of their other artists. Perhaps Warner will remedy this. Well, I can always hope.

I'm sure I'm overlooking other great artists.

John

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:37 am

Just for starters:

Giuseppe Sinopoli

Mikhail Pletnev

Gérard Souzay

Eugene Mravinsky

Happy Holidays and may all your wishes come true!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:45 am

Aside from the above, I have a large soft spot in my heart for Anna Moffo. Perhaps Sony could issue a megabox of her opera recordings? I have them all, of course, but she deserves to be heard.

I agree that Franco Corelli deserves notice as well. He's the only tenor who could manage a diminuendo on a high Bb in Bizet's Flower Song from Carmen until recently. Sadly he stopped singing due to unmanageable stage fright at the height of his career, but he recorded very well in studio.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:13 am

John, Decca/Eloquence issued a 41-CD set for de Larrocha in late 2018 [483 4120] consisting of her complete British- and American Decca CDs, and the Hispavox-EMI recordings. I have all of her RCA recordings, but near as I know they never released a mega-box in her behalf. As for Casals, Decca issued a 7-CD set of "The Philips Recordings" [484 2348], and EMI issued a 9-CD set of all of his published recordings [94932]. In 2011, Columbia/Sony issued a 10-CD set [65690] in their "Original Jacket Collection." A good "filler" might be Music & Arts 12-CD set [1187] of Casals at Prades, live 1953-1962 recordings. As for Callas, there was the 70-CD set on EMI [95918] of her complete studio recordings of all her recitals, and 26 operas (including the Cetra recordings). The live opera recordings EMI issued on 42 CDs, plus DVDs [58447]. Don't know if this helps or not but I thought I'd throw in my two-cents worth!
CharmNewton wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:20 pm
I haven't done any checking on future plans, but 2023 marks the centennial birth year of some wonderful musicians.

Alicia de Larrocha - It would be nice to see a re-issue of her Decca, RCA and Warner recordings.

Daniil Shafran - I would expect a release on Melodiya, but perhaps Scribendum might consider one as well.

Franco Corelli - His EMI recordings have been haphazardly re-issued over the years. Perhaps Warner will compile a collection, either with complete operas or the scenes where Mr. Corelli appeared (as RCA did for Jussi Björling).

Victoria de Los Angeles - Likewise for this great singer.

Giorgio Tozzi and Cesare Siepi - Perhaps tributes to these great basses.

Wolfgang Sawallisch - Perhaps Universal and/or Warner will issue tributes to this great conductor.

Stanislaw Skrowaczewski - I would expect Eloquence to re-issue his Mercury recordings in a single collection, similar to Paul Paray.

Maria Callas - Perhaps a megabox from Warner with everything. I'd buy it.

2023 will also mark the 50th anniversary of the passing of Pablo Casals. Perhaps Sony will issue the Complete Columbia/RCA Album Collection which I pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk 6 years ago, but never materialized. Also, perhaps Warner will re-issue Casals Edition published by EMI in 2009 and but this time include his recordings as a conductor (Beethoven: Symphonies 1 & 4, Coriolan and Ruins of Athens Overtures, Brahms: Haydn Variations).

And as a wish list item, 2023 marks the 70th anniverary of the passing of Albert Coates. One of the most exciting conductors on record both in orchestral repertoire and operatic excerpts. EMI never issued a tribute collection as they have with so many of their other artists. Perhaps Warner will remedy this. Well, I can always hope.

I'm sure I'm overlooking other great artists.

John
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:19 am

Leonid Kogan, some of his CDs fetch ridiculous prices... The Warner 15CD set issued in the far east (but not in Europe as far as I know) would be a good start.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:36 pm

Mike, I got that 15-CD [59714] back in early 2016 from Amazon/USA for $122/USD including tax/postage. I thought that was a bit high myself, but that edition did come from Japan. I had no idea it was now difficult to obtain. I am devoted to the art of Kogan and have nearly all his DGG (Russian oriented), EMI, RCA, RCA/Japan, and Testament issues, considered major labels. That is followed up by many Melodiya, ICA, Monopole, Revelation, Supraphon, Yedang, Russian Disc, Multisonic, Doremi, Membran, and several other labels. So, there's a lot of Kogan out there as there should be. He was a superb artist, not to mention being related to Emil Gilels through marriage (Elizabeta Gilels, also a violinist). Keep your fingers crossed, perhaps Warner will make that 15-CD set available at a much more reasonable price. It should be noted, too, that there is much duplication throughout these discs especially on the non-major labels.
mikealdren wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:19 am
Leonid Kogan, some of his CDs fetch ridiculous prices... The Warner 15CD set issued in the far east (but not in Europe as far as I know) would be a good start.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief