Dvořák: Biblical Songs (10), Op. 99

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Dvořák: Biblical Songs (10), Op. 99

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:01 am

Among the many discussions we have had about Antonin Dvořák, I don't recall seeing much about his Biblical Songs, Op. 99, composed in New York City in 1894. Not everyone can pull these off. The old saying that the first recording you ever hear of a work makes the deepest impression. In the case of the Biblical Songs, I could say that about myself. Not everyone records the whole ten songs, either in recording or on the concert stage. The most recent one I've heard is a radio broadcast from January 1956 with bass Ladislav Mraz and the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra led by Karel Ancerl. He chose songs 1 through 5. His performance left me cold. Dvořák wrote all ten songs for voice and piano and he, himself, orchestrated the first five, hence the reason some only record the first five.

I am an admirer of the true contralto voice, one of whom was British-born Dame Clara Butt [1872-1936], "Britain's Queen of Song," whose husband was baritone Kennerley Rumford. All of her recordings were, of course, made in the days of 78 rpm discs. The HMV LP came from England in my early collecting days, a complete recital of her work, which included four of Dvořák's Biblical Songs. I have never heard any singer perform them with such sincere conviction. An organ and piano accompanies the singer, who renders them English, which may have added to the spiritual meaning of each piece. It also may have helped in interpreting the music because Clara Butt was a devout Christian Scientist. [Hers was not an easy life.] Those recordings came out on a Pearl CD [GEM 0086] comprised of all songs. Parenthetically, Pearl issued a companion CD [GEM 0081] that displays this remarkable voice. You will detect a "break" in her range, which does not detract from the performance, and it may take a moment or two for your ears to acclimate to her vocal quality. The four songs she sings are sung (and acted) with such conviction are probably the most spiritual of the group, texts all taken from the Book of Psalms. Butt's diction, very English, including rolled "r"s are very clear given recording techniques in the early days.

Beyond that, other recordings I have amassed include Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau [DGG], Emmi Leisner [Preiser], Raynor Cook [Chandos], Gabriela Benackova [RCA], Vera Soukupova [Supraphon], Dagmar Peckova (Supraphon)* and Aafje Heynis [EMI]. For me, the songs work best when given by the female voice from my point of view. Most everyone sings these songs in the original Czech language. How I wish that Kathleen Ferrier had committed these songs to disc. *Mezzo-soprano Peckova's recording on Supraphon gives us all ten Biblical Songs, four Folk Songs, seven Gypsy Songs, and eight Love Songs. Irwin Gage is the pianist - so you 'get 'em all' on this disc. •
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Re: Dvořák: Biblical Songs (10), Op. 99

Post by Belle » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:02 am

I don't know these "Biblical Songs" and I must say I can't seem to get enough of Dvorak these days. Been watching on YT some performances from the late Vaclav Neumann.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:10 am

May I recommend this recital CD that includes the Biblical Songs by the great Czech soprano Gabriela Benackova? Rudolf Firkusny is the pianist, so who could ask for a more authentic team of great artists?

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:56 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I'll listen now if it's on YT.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:38 am

Indeed, you're right Brian. I had the Benackova with Firkusny (nice to see it on the RCA label, one would normally think Supraphon), but didn't manifest it saying "Biblical Songs," something I've learned to properly do where certain works are of major interest for me. Fortunately, there are many recordings available of the Biblical Songs and getting the right record with the right voice and accompaniment makes the big difference.
maestrob wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:10 am
May I recommend this recital CD that includes the Biblical Songs by the great Czech soprano Gabriela Benackova? Rudolf Firkusny is the pianist, so who could ask for a more authentic team of great artists?

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:18 pm

Belle - I've updated my original post showing available recordings I have. How did you make out in wanting to hear any of these pieces? Dvořák was quite the diversified composer! Always uplifting to hear his music regardless of the genre.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:56 pm

Thanks. I did listen to some of them yesterday on YT, but we had to go out during much of the day - not returning until 9pm - and I will try and catch up today.