HANS KRÁSA’S BRUNDIBÁR ON CBS’s 60 MINUTES

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Nashvillebill

Post by Nashvillebill » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:34 am

Hey All, the story behind this was featured on 60 Minutes last night (though I'm sure everyone was watching the oscars! :D ) here's the link to the 60minutes feature:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/ ... 8458.shtml

News Magazine Show Tells Story of Opera Performed in Nazi Concentration Camp at Terezín

Recording, with English Libretto by Pulitzer Prize winner Tony Kushner,
Now Available on Naxos

CBS’s 60 Minutes included a story on Sunday, February 25th about Hans Krása’s Brundibár, an opera that the composer performed with child inmates in the Nazi concentration camp at Terezín.

The opera is now available on Naxos–featuring an English libretto by Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tony Kushner–produced by the Seattle-based organization Music of Remembrance and led by Gerard Schwarz.

Krása had originally completed Brundibár in 1938 in Prague. As a Jew, he was imprisoned in Terezín after the Nazis invaded Czechoslovakia, where he revised the score and mounted a production in 1943.

Built around the themes of good versus evil and the value of courage, Brundibár provided some measure of inspiration for Terezín inmates. In a sick irony, however, the Nazis also found a way to use Krása’s production as a propaganda tool to demonstrate their “fair treatment” of the Jewish population in Czechoslovakia.

Hans KRÁSA: Brundibár
An opera for children; English libretto by Tony Kushner
Music of Remembrance, Gerard Schwarz

lmpower

Post by lmpower » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:50 am

I watched the broadcast. What a fascinating story! It was all news to me.