What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Re: What NEW discs/music are you adding to your collection?

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:32 am

At last, Mark Minkowski, known for his recordings of resurrected French opera rarities, has come full circle to record a definitive Robert le Diable, arguably Meyerbeer's finest work. Here we have a starry international cast of stunningly beautiful voices who can handle each demanding role, including John Osborn and a tender yet forceful Robert and Amina Edris as a scintillating Alice, along with Erin Morley as Isabelle. The recording is exemplary, and comes in deluxe packaging with silver lettering and luxury booklet. This is truly a collectors' item, and the best performance I've heard, outclassing all rivals, including the DVD with Michael Spyres. Five gold stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:12 am

American soprano Lisette Oropesa's latest release comes hard on the heels of her superb Mozart CD and is, frankly, quite a knockout! Here we are treated to French bel canto selections from Rossini and Donizetti, ably prepared and led by conductor Corrado Rovaris who, by the sound of it, should have a fine career ahead of him. The Dresden Philharmonic provide more than adequate accompaniment, while their chorus, albeit miked somewhat distantly, stand firm when appropriate. Oropesa is a regular at the MET, having starred in productions there for about a decade. Her French is excellent throughout this scintillating disc. Bravi tutti! Five stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 03, 2023 10:50 am

Handel considered his opera Theodora as one of his finest works. In this superb recording by Il Pomo d'Oro, led by Maxim Emelyanchev with a starry cast of soloists including Lisette Oropesa, Joyce DiDonato, Paul-Antoine Benois-Djian, Michael Spyres and John Chest, that potential is fully realized. Recorded at the end of an extensive five-city concert tour in Europe, these forces are at their peak of concentration and commitment to Handel's idiom, portraying the persecution of Christians in the ancient world of Antioch. Each soloist is captured at their peak of their performing power, while Il Pomo d'Oro plays to perfection. This three CD set is also offered at a reasonable price, yet it delivers deluxe music-making that never disappoints, not even for a bar or two. Five stars.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sat May 06, 2023 4:32 pm

It's a mystery to me why these lovely Piano Trios are so obscure. Henry Charles Litolff usually is known as the quintessential one-hit composer - speaking of the scherzo from his Fourth Concerto symphonique. Every classical music fan has heard that one - but how many are aware of these two appealing works? A new disc on my shelves and, having just listened, I wonder why they are so little-known.

(PS - I have a recording, also, of Litolff's Concertos symphonique 3 & 5. Highly recommended.)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 08, 2023 10:01 am

Much of Zubin Mehta's work with the New York Philharmonic has been panned in these pages as bland, harsh, or colorless. Happily, this well-recorded CD of Mahler V proves to be an exception. While it lacks the depth of feeling that Leonard Bernstein or Bruno Walter could bring to Mahler with the same orchestra, this well-played performance shows the Philharmonic at its seamless peak, with sensitive strings and bold brass. Mehta's pacing is just right and his command of dynamic range (not usually his strong suit) results in gentle passages contrasting with explosions of sound that will test your stereo's limits. While I still prefer Bernstein, Solti, Abbado in Lucerne or Von Karajan, this is a worthy addition to my collection. Four stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu May 18, 2023 10:23 am

Composer/pianist Kit Armstrong's 2021 debut release brings to our attention his sensitive interpretations of sixteenth-century pieces written for the virginal (a close relative of the harpsichord) by William Byrd and John Bull. Each gem takes on new life under Armstrong's capable hands, a concept that puzzled me at first, but it really works. After hearing the second disc through, I was sorely tempted to return to the first and begin the journey all over again! Armstrong's immersion into these miniatures has bought them new respect and earned them a place on my shelves right next to the best of J. S. Bach and G. F. Handel. Five stars!

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Thu May 18, 2023 10:51 am

maestrob wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:23 am

Composer/pianist Kit Armstrong's 2021 debut release brings to our attention his sensitive interpretations of sixteenth-century pieces written for the virginal (a close relative of the harpsichord) by William Byrd and John Bull. Each gem takes on new life under Armstrong's capable hands, a concept that puzzled me at first, but it really works. After hearing the second disc through, I was sorely tempted to return to the first and begin the journey all over again! Armstrong's immersion into these miniatures has bought them new respect and earned them a place on my shelves right next to the best of J. S. Bach and G. F. Handel. Five stars!
Interesting find. I'll order it, and thanks.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 29, 2023 9:53 am

Carl Nielsen's symphonies have now become part of the mainstream repertoire, revered by many conductors outside of Denmark. Leonard Bernstein led the first stereo cycle on record (with an excellent I by Eugene Ormandy), while Blomstedt, Colin Davis and other non-Danes have produced fine cycles during the CD era. Now we have the very fine latest survey by Fabio Luisi, in a magnificent set of 3CDs featuring the Danish National Symphony Orchestra, offering the best engineering from DGG. While I would have liked a bit more energy in the finale of II, each of these readings is a standout, with an exceptional IV (my personal favorite) and transparent orchestration in V & VI. The soloists in III are both very fine. This, then, is a cycle that competes with the finest, in glorious sound. Five enthusiastic stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:53 am

The great baritone Matthias Goerne has made a specialty of Schubert, recording his complete output with his ever-faithful pianist partner, Alexander Schmalcz. The above glorious release highlights a new phase in their musical relationship, with 75 generous minutes of Schubert songs orchestrated by Schmalcz, produced in warm and glowing sound by their long-time label, DGG. Each gem is brilliantly orchestrated then played to perfection by the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen. Goernes' resonant baritone caresses each phrase and is ideally suited to Schubert's idiom, while being ideally balanced with the orchestra. This is one of my top five releases of the year so far! Five gold stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:40 am

Czech composer Miloslav Kabelac is a new source of fine music to the ears of your reviewer, so the 2022 release pictured above was a welcome newcomer. Kabelac gained notoriety first during the 1960s as a humanist composer with his Hamlet Improvisation, written to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Shakespeare's birth. He was known as an artist that stood up for human rights during the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia, and was thus singled out for oppression and obscurity after the Soviet invasion of 1968 that transformed the Czech government into a brutal political machine. This release compliments the recent Supraphon release of his eight symphonies with new recordings of his most famous work, The Mystery of Time, along with his Hamlet Improvisations, Reflections, and Metamorphosis with pianist Miroslav Sekera. Marko Ivanovic leads the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra in these little-known masterpieces. Five stars!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:21 pm

Right you are about these piano trios of Litolff on Hyperion. I've had that disc since early 2020 and have enjoyed it. I keep my eye open for anything composed by Litolff. Oddly, there is not that much out there though there is a solo piano disc on Toccata Classics. ♫
Febnyc wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 4:32 pm
It's a mystery to me why these lovely Piano Trios are so obscure. Henry Charles Litolff usually is known as the quintessential one-hit composer - speaking of the scherzo from his Fourth Concerto symphonique. Every classical music fan has heard that one - but how many are aware of these two appealing works? A new disc on my shelves and, having just listened, I wonder why they are so little-known.

(PS - I have a recording, also, of Litolff's Concertos symphonique 3 & 5. Highly recommended.)

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:03 am

Oboist Lajos Lencses (who also plays English horn) has established a career as one of Europe's most sophisticated and sought-after soloists. Here he is featured in music by Jean Francaix, including L'Horlage de Flore for oboe and orchestra, along with a scintillating quartet for strings and English horn, along with a Trio for oboe, bassoon & piano. This winning disc is completed by a string quartet, all stylishly played by the Parisii Quartett. Each work is a gem, played with sensitivity and panache by the participants. Rare and invigorating, this CD is also beautifully recorded. A true winner, and a happy discovery for your reviewer. Five gold stars!

neilnw

Post by neilnw » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:50 pm

This Naxos disc already released a dozen years ago. Wind and piano chamber music of PETER SCHICKELE:

https://www.discogs.com/release/3882805 ... -Catskills

I've known for the past four decades that Schickele wrote jacket notes for some very prominent classical labels--he wrote the liner notes for one of the Vox/Murray Hill sets of Beethoven's complete piano music. But this is the first time I came across a full disc of his own, legit works.

Looking forward to it.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:04 am

neilnw wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:50 pm
This Naxos disc already released a dozen years ago. Wind and piano chamber music of PETER SCHICKELE:

I've known for the past four decades that Schickele wrote jacket notes for some very prominent classical labels--he wrote the liner notes for one of the Vox/Murray Hill sets of Beethoven's complete piano music. But this is the first time I came across a full disc of his own, legit works.

Looking forward to it.
When Schickele was presenting his annual Carnegie Hall shows on P. D. Q. Bach back in the 1980's, we used to double over as he made his entrance by swinging on a rope, launching himself from the first tier boxes on stage right (our left), landing onstage without disrupting the orchestra! What a fantastic showman! :lol:

I believe he was the first to popularize sneakers with a tuxedo for shock value. Now everyone's doing it.

Both he and Victor Borge were regular stops each season. Nobody does anything like humor in music any more. 😢

neilnw

Post by neilnw » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:10 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:04 am
neilnw wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:50 pm

Looking forward to it.
When Schickele was presenting his annual Carnegie Hall shows on P. D. Q. Bach back in the 1980's, we used to double over as he made his entrance by swinging on a rope, launching himself from the first tier boxes on stage right (our left), landing onstage without disrupting the orchestra! What a fantastic showman! :lol:

I believe he was the first to popularize sneakers with a tuxedo for shock value. Now everyone's doing it.

Both he and Victor Borge were regular stops each season. Nobody does anything like humor in music any more. 😢
Forgot to mention--I caught P.D.Q. Bach's stop at Eugene's Soreng Theater, Nov. '85.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:21 am

This excellent 2003 CD of Enescu's rarely recorded (This is the first CD to put all of them together.) Piano Suites features Roumanian pianist Luiza Borac in a much-anticipated release at the time. Her training and immersion in Enescu's idiom has reaped rewards for her listeners' ears, your reviewer included. What fine, inventive music this is, and a generous (nearly 80') release, lovingly recorded. The first suite, while evidently neo-classical, reminds one of Respighi's Ancient Airs and Dances, makes a scintillating and inventive opener, while the following Suites 1 & 2 provide more original ideas. This has become in short order a treasured disc of first-rate piano repertoire, presented in superb and passionate readings. Five stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:50 am

The music of Jean Francaix has grown on me over the years, as I've come to appreciate his neoclassical style more and more. His obvious inspiration must have been Stravinsky, of course, along with Respighi's Ancient Airs and Dances, but there's a strong hint of his own style in the impeccable orchestration of the works contained in this 2002 release. Francaix wrote three symphonies but unaccountably never numbered them, so this CD contains the well-crafted Symphony in G major (1953), along with his early ballet, the delightful Scuola di Ballo (1933), as well as his 1934 Serenade, the Ouverture anacreontique (1978) and his moving Pavane pour un Genie vivant (1987), dedicated to Ravel. An expert craftsman, Francaix declared, "That which is not clear is not by Francaix!" The Ulster orchestra, led here by Swiss conductor Thierry Fischer plays with ultimate clarity, superbly prepared and recorded. Five stars!

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:20 am

maestrob wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:21 am

This excellent 2003 CD of Enescu's rarely recorded (This is the first CD to put all of them together.) Piano Suites features Roumanian pianist Luiza Borac in a much-anticipated release at the time. Her training and immersion in Enescu's idiom has reaped rewards for her listeners' ears, your reviewer included. What fine, inventive music this is, and a generous (nearly 80') release, lovingly recorded. The first suite, while evidently neo-classical, reminds one of Respighi's Ancient Airs and Dances, makes a scintillating and inventive opener, while the following Suites 1 & 2 provide more original ideas. This has become in short order a treasured disc of first-rate piano repertoire, presented in superb and passionate readings. Five stars!
Our new young conductor at the K-W Symphony, Andrei Feher, is a Romanian emigre. One of the best performances of his debut year with us (just before COVID) was a shorter Enescu orchestral piece. As I remember now, it was fairly ethereal and light, and the music seemed to move in space. It has made me hungry to hear more of Enescu, but I've not yet really indulged.

https://andreifeher.com/biography/

I have added the above recording to my music service library as well as a later recording by Luiza Borac of Enescu's piano sonatas and other pieces.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:35 am

slofstra wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:20 am
maestrob wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:21 am

Our new young conductor at the K-W Symphony, Andrei Feher, is a Romanian emigre. One of the best performances of his debut year with us (just before COVID) was a shorter Enescu orchestral piece. As I remember now, it was fairly ethereal and light, and the music seemed to move in space. It has made me hungry to hear more of Enescu, but I've not yet really indulged.

https://andreifeher.com/biography/

I have added the above recording to my music service library as well as a later recording by Luiza Borac of Enescu's piano sonatas and other pieces.
Do give Enescu's symphonies a try:

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:27 am

I have added that to my virtual library, also.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:47 am

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:57 am

Thierry Fischer's series of recordings of music by Jean Francaix continues with this invigorating CD of ballet music, including "Le roi nu" (The Naked King) and Les demoiselles de la nuit (The Ladies of the Night). While not plunging the depths, this music is played with fervor and panache by Fischer's Ulster Orchestra in both instances. Hyperion provides extensive and welcome notes along with superb digital sound in this 2006 release. This is a winning combination that will bear repeated listening. A welcome addition to my collection! Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:27 am

The 1990 performance of Mahler's Das klagende Lied pictured above is a recent issue (2021) that is thankfully finally making its way onto my bulging shelves. Gielen's transparent way with Mahler's early score (written when he was barely 20!) brings out the inner voices in the orchestra in a very superior way, fully equal to Boulez's superb 1970 studio recording for Columbia Masterworks. Soloists Brigitte Poschner-Klebel, Marjana Lipovsek, David Rendall and Manfred Hemm all excel in their appearances, presented by Gielen as part of the massive whole. The ORF Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra plays with deep feeling and is well recorded, considering the massive forces involved, including the off-stage orchestra. Gielen uses the now accepted three movement version of this rarely-heard work. The first movement is from Mahler's original 1880 submission, while the two following sections are the revised versions from 1901. A superb document of a live event, there is but one short cough during the entire hour, and no applause at the end. Five stars!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:21 pm

jserraglio wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:47 am
I have other recordings, but these are both wonderful, rarely heard works.Glad to see Cleveland agrees !

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:24 am

Bernard Haitink, Gustav Mahler and the Berlin Philharmonic make an ideal combination in this recently-acquired addition to my collection pictured above. Haitink is really at his best throughout this 2010 release available only through Presto on one of their self-produced and licensed CDs. Haitink manages the aggressive opening at just the right tempo, while the climax of the first movement is so intense the hairs on the back of your neck will stand on end. By contrast, the sweetness of the Adagio with its pastoral celeste and horn calls brings welcome relief (here placed after the Scherzo). The finale is surely in a class of its own. This is one of the finest performances of Mahler VI I have heard, and I plan on acquiring more in this cycle. Jessye Norman simply aces the Songs of a Wayfarer. Five gold stars!

neilnw

Post by neilnw » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:00 am

Seems these days that I'm always adding a CD I only superficially want, it's either that or having to pay $8-9 extra for shipping on all my Amazon orders....I'll usually just rip it to my laptop's library, & that's that....

https://www.discogs.com/release/3587102 ... ens-Corner
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:10 am

Is this Philips 426 257 - a two-CD set? Got that one because of Norman. Now I must rehear the 6th symphony. You're right about Norman "acing" the Wayfarer!
maestrob wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:24 am
Bernard Haitink, Gustav Mahler and the Berlin Philharmonic make an ideal combination in this recently-acquired addition to my collection pictured above. Haitink is really at his best throughout this 2010 release available only through Presto on one of their self-produced and licensed CDs. Haitink manages the aggressive opening at just the right tempo, while the climax of the first movement is so intense the hairs on the back of your neck will stand on end. By contrast, the sweetness of the Adagio with its pastoral celeste and horn calls brings welcome relief (here placed after the Scherzo). The finale is surely in a class of its own. This is one of the finest performances of Mahler VI I have heard, and I plan on acquiring more in this cycle. Jessye Norman simply aces the Songs of a Wayfarer. Five gold stars!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:14 am

I forgot - you are in Australia. That $8-$9 shipping fee seems high. If you are not on Amazon Prime, usually the mailing fee is $3.99/USD, but I notice on occasion that rate is higher. Plus we have just had an increase in postage charges. I also note if I want something that comes from Australia, the shipping charges are often more than the price of the item. What is going on in our world?
neilnw wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:00 am
Seems these days that I'm always adding a CD I only superficially want, it's either that or having to pay $8-9 extra for shipping on all my Amazon orders....I'll usually just rip it to my laptop's library, & that's that....

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:29 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:10 am
Is this Philips 426 257 - a two-CD set? Got that one because of Norman. Now I must rehear the 6th symphony. You're right about Norman "acing" the Wayfarer!
maestrob wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:24 am
That's the one! :D

neilnw

Post by neilnw » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:50 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:14 am
I forgot - you are in Australia. That $8-$9 shipping fee seems high. If you are not on Amazon Prime, usually the mailing fee is $3.99/USD, but I notice on occasion that rate is higher. Plus we have just had an increase in postage charges. I also note if I want something that comes from Australia, the shipping charges are often more than the price of the item. What is going on in our world?
neilnw wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:00 am

Actually, I'm not in Australia, but in plain ol' Brush, CO. It's the NON-music items that oftentimes have the $8-9 shipping. :oops:
--Sir Thomas Beecham

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:22 am

The delightful CD pictured above features dances from French opera to works played at the Folies Bergeres, ably conducted by the premiere champion of French repertoire today, Francois-Xavier Roth, with his own orchestra, Les Siecles. Composers include, of course, Massenet, Gounod and saint-Saens, while the repertoire branches out to those relatively unknown authored by Jeanne Danglas, Issaac Strauss, Emile Waldteufel, Theodore Dubois, Victorin Joncleres, among others I had not heard before. Each bon-bon is played to perfection by Les Siecles, recreating an atmosphere celebrated by Offenbach and cherished by the French at the turn of the last century. This is a truly uplifting, if not profound, album to experience. Five most enjoyable stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:29 am

While your reviewer was quite disappointed in John Wilson's string section playing Rachmaninoff recently, the above release fully redeems its reputation with the added bonus of new repertoire to my ears, Howells's 1938 Concerto for String Orchestra, a masterful yet rarely-played work. This superb CD also features much better-known repertoire by Vaughan Williams (Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis), Delius (Late Swallows) and Elgar's inimitable Introduction and Allegro. Chandos has graced us with a Super Audio CD, making this a must-have for string afficiandos. Wilson's Sinfonia of London plays with passionate conviction, if not quite with the finesse of Philadelphia/Ormandy in the Vaughan Williams. Still, grab this for the Howells, and you'll not be disappointed anywhere in this exciting SACD. Five stars.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:04 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:29 am

Still, grab this for the Howells, and you'll not be disappointed anywhere in this exciting SACD. Five stars.
Thanks for this !! I am a big Howells fan, but had not heard the Concerto.An excellent work, especially the slow mov. May consider a Presto mp3 download.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:51 am

This superb CD of rarely performed harpsichord concerti from the twentieth century is a surefire winner to these ears. Mahan Esfahani is already a star in my firmament due to his superb Bach recordings, so this widening of his repertoire is icing on the cake for me. Featuring concerti from the 1930's in a neo-classical style by the young Bohuslav Martinu (1935) and Hans Krasa (1936), this ample one-hour program ends with a virtuoso showpiece by Viktor Kalabis from 1975, his Concerto for Harpsichord and String Orchestra. Ably accompanied by the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Alekander Liebreich, Mahan Esfahani has produced another winner of a disc for Hyperion. Five stars.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:46 pm

Three new acquisitions via that great Polish label, Acte Préalable:

I have all six of the Koczalski piano concertos. Very highly recommended for their beauty.

The other two composers - Kątski and de Boisdeffre - are new to me. I've heard only snippets of their music and so I've nice surprises ahead.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:40 pm

Febnyc wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:46 pm
Three new acquisitions via that great Polish label, Acte Préalable:
I've seen a number of issues from this label at Berkshire Record Outlet and they look interesting. I plan to put an order together soon and will be sure to purchase several.

The musical life in Poland looks very vibrant these days.

John

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:44 pm

CharmNewton wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:40 pm
I've seen a number of issues from this label at Berkshire Record Outlet and they look interesting. I plan to put an order together soon and will be sure to purchase several.

The musical life in Poland looks very vibrant these days.

John
You're right. And this enterprising label has an extensive catalog, not only of Polish composers but, naturally, essentially dedicated to them anyway. The production standards are very high - booklets are expensively put together and the program notes are excellent. I am sure you'll enjoy them once you order. (PS - and thanks - I didn't know Berkshire was selling this label!)

(PPS - After viewing the Berkshire list of AP discs, it is my suggestion that you get a better idea of what is available from this label by going to APs catalog which appears on the Musicweb-International site here: http://www.musicweb-international.com/A ... e_2022.htm. The discs sell for £12.00 post-free. They're shipped directly from Warsaw and usually take about ten days to arrive in the USA.)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:14 pm

Darn good price on the Ravel/Perlemuter. Back in 2010, I got that for $11. Big difference in price. You lucked out on some good stuff! Do you also have Perlemuter's on Nimbus (5005, 5011) too?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:27 am

Charles Villiers Stanford was definitely a Brahms admirer, and it shows in this superb recording of his 1896 Requiem for four soloists (Carolyn Sampson, Marta Fontanals-Simmons, James Way and Ross Ramgorin), chorus and orchestra. Yes, there is Brahmsian counterpoint here and there, but never of the complexity and inventiveness we have come to expect from that composer. Still, this is worthy of your attention, thanks not only to Hyperion's superb sonics, but also to Martyn Brabbins superb conducting of the University of Birmingham Voices and the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. This is not a first recording, as Adrian Leaper recorded it for Marco Polo in 2007, but having heard both, I would say that this is the one to own, and it's on one disc. A lovely work, then, unjustly neglected. Incidentally, the sound quality on the CD is far more open and transparent than what I heard streaming it on Spotify. Five stars.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:06 am

maestrob wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:27 am

Charles Villiers Stanford was definitely a Brahms admirer, and it shows in this superb recording of his 1896 Requiem for four soloists (Carolyn Sampson, Marta Fontanals-Simmons, James Way and Ross Ramgorin), chorus and orchestra. Yes, there is Brahmsian counterpoint here and there, but never of the complexity and inventiveness we have come to expect from that composer. Still, this is worthy of your attention, thanks not only to Hyperion's superb sonics, but also to Martyn Brabbins superb conducting of the University of Birmingham Voices and the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. This is not a first recording, as Adrian Leaper recorded it for Marco Polo in 2007, but having heard both, I would say that this is the one to own, and it's on one disc. A lovely work, then, unjustly neglected. Incidentally, the sound quality on the CD is far more open and transparent than what I heard streaming it on Spotify. Five stars.
Gosh! I think this is the only work of Stanford's that I don't have on my CD shelves. Thanks for the recommendation.

Newly added: I discovered that Berkshire Record Outlet has listed a slew of discs (over 200) from Toccata UK. This is a favorite label of mine - the large proportion of their production is piano or chamber music, but there are orchestral recordings, too. I ordered five - could have done twice that, but I am trying not to increase my pile of unlistened-to CDs. If you're interested in Martin Anderson's enterprising Toccata output, search for that label on Berkshire's site. (And you can listen to excerpts of any of the music on the Toccata website.)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:43 am

In this debut recording of Mahler's popular Fifth Symphony with the Orchestre symphonique de Montreal, Venezuelan conductor Rafael Payare proves himself worthy of a first-rank international career. Yes, he is a product of El Sistema, where he played principal French horn in the Simon Bolivar Orchestra while studying conducting with Gustavo Dudamel's teacher, Jose Antonio Abreu, but he graduated to become assistant to both the great Claudio Abbado and Daniel Barenboim, along with Lorin Maazel, absorbing their wisdom as well. Maestro Payare brings his Montreal orchestra to new heights in this perfectly-paced Mahler V, wonderfully recorded by Pentatone (Why didn't they issue this as an SACD?). Now signed to contracts with both the San Diego Symphony and his Orchestre symphonique de Montreal, as well as with the Ulster Orchestra, this young genius will go far, and I anticipate his future recordings with bated breath. Five stars.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:42 am

Canadian violin virtuoso Kerson Leong currently plays a 1741 Guarneri del Gesu instrument in this stunning new release with the Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Patrick Hahn, a sheer treat to my ears. Both featured concerti by Britten and Bruch (No. 1) are fittingly augmented by Bruch's rarely-heard late opus 65 "In Memorium," all stunningly recorded in crystal-clear sound. Leong has won many competitions, including the Yehudi Menuhin in 2010, a win which launched this fine Canadian artist into an international career. Leong also has a pedagogic side, and has held masterclasses both in Canada, Europe and in America at prestigious institutions. What a fine CD this is! Five stars!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:04 am

Rachmaninoff's symphonic works have been absent from the Philadelphia Orchestra's recorded repertoire since the days of Eugene Ormandy, who premiered all three symphonies with Rachmaninoff's favorite orchestra. Since neither Riccardo Muti nor Wolfgang Sawallisch evinced any affinity for the works on this specially-priced two-disc set, your reviewer offers hearty thanks and applause for this excellently recorded and conducted release. Ormandy worked extensively with the composer to trim the fat from his sprawling Second Symphony, especially in the first movement, first recording that version in Minnesota, then twice in Philadelphia (mono in 1951 and stereo in 1960). Unfortunately, Nezet-Seguin leaves these cuts open as is the current fashion, something Ormandy did when he recorded the work when he switched from Columbia to RCA, making the best of Rachmaninoff's meanderings, but the rest of the Second Symphony glows with Philadelphia's magnificent strings and woodwinds. The Third is expertly shaped, although I do wish the concertmaster had been more fully miked. Nezet-Seguin does justice to the Isle of the Dead in one of the best readings I've heard since Rachmaninoff's own with the same orchestra. This set is a treasure! Five gold stars!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:23 am

Thanks for this.May have to update my recordings.

I fondly recall my parents 78rpm set of the Ormany/Minneapolis 2nd Symphony,6 disks if I recall, ie 12 sides, weighed about 10lbs. Was also fortunate to hear live in the hall Ormandy conduct the work with the Minneapolis in Minneapolis in 1967-68 or 1968-69 on his first return there since the 30's.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:33 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:23 am

I fondly recall my parents 78rpm set of the Ormany/Minneapolis 2nd Symphony,6 disks if I recall, ie 12 sides, weighed about 10lbs. Was also fortunate to hear live in the hall Ormandy conduct the work with the Minneapolis in Minneapolis in 1967-68 or 1968-69 on his first return there since the 30's.
Yes! I grew up with that set of 6 discs, and sadly had broken two of my parents' records by age 4! That recording was finally issued on CD in the Ormandy Minneapolis RCA box:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:55 am

I, too, was interested in this set when first announced - and got it. Love it, a nice addition to the big Ormandy mono box set. I'm still wondering, though, about the big Ormandy stereo boxed set. Have so much already with this conductor, whom I had the pleasure of meeting one day.
maestrob wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:33 pm
Rach3 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:23 am

Yes! I grew up with that set of 6 discs, and sadly had broken two of my parents' records by age 4! That recording was finally issued on CD in the Ormandy Minneapolis RCA box:

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:32 pm

Lance wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:55 am
I, too, was interested in this set when first announced - and got it. Love it, a nice addition to the big Ormandy mono box set. I'm still wondering, though, about the big Ormandy stereo boxed set. Have so much already with this conductor, whom I had the pleasure of meeting one day.
It's nice having his large body of work within about 3 cubic feet of space. :-) Well, maybe a little more. Having so much music in an integral collection intensifies the respect for Ormandy as a person and musician. And also for the professionals who worked with him and maintained wonderfully high standards over the decades.

John

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:20 am

Czech composer Josef Myslivecek (1737-1781), a contemporary of Mozart, composed two CDs worth of achingly beautiful Violin Concertos. This is Volume II of that collection, which has recently been issued in a 2 CD set, featuring violinist Shizuka Ishikawa with the late Libor Pesek conducting the Dvorak Chamber Orchestra in this rarely-recorded repertoire, prepared from original manuscripts. Myslivecek's calling card in these works is that for brief moments, he has the concertmaster playing in tandem with the soloist, allowing a four-note chord to be heard, an electrifying idea when I first heard it. Supraphon's recorded sound is more than adequate, with transparent strings and perfect highlighting of the soloist. I have lived with Volume I of these concertos for many years, and am grateful to have added Volume II to my collection.