Mariss Jansons - opinions? recommendations?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Len_Z

Mariss Jansons - opinions? recommendations?

Post by Len_Z » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:27 am

I've been falling in and out of love with Mariss Jansons' recordings for many years. Listening to his 'Pique Dame' now, I find it very nuanced and extremely powerful. Would anybody care to share opinions on his CDs (particularly, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler) and/or recommend the ones that stand out.

Thanks in advance!

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Mariss Jansons - opinions? recommendations?

Post by Lance » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:36 pm

Have many recordings with Jansons, many times as a collaborative conductor with artists such as Leonid Kogan, Mikhail Rudy, Midori, Sarah Chang, Nikolai Znaider. One set you might particularly enjoy is EMI/Warner 75510 [6 CD set], Rachmaninoff Symphonies 1, 2, 3, Isle of the Dead, Piano Concertos 1, 2, 3, 4, and Paganini Rhapsody with Mikhail Rudy. Another might EMI/Warner 49289, Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet Suites 1/2 with Oslo Philharmonic. There is much to enjoy. Like you, however, I don't place Jansons as a first place conductor on major repertoire for whatever reason. There is also an excellent Shostakovich Symphony #7 (Leningrad) on EMI/Warner 49494 with the Leningrad Philharmonic, an outstanding orchestra. There is much more, too. Any interest in these, Len?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Len_Z

Post by Len_Z » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Thank you very much, Lance. I'm very intrigued by the Rachmaninov setю There's also a complete Shosta, but it could be too much too soon:))))

Allen

Post by Allen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:33 pm

I enjoyed his Tchaikovsky's #4,5 and 6 with the Oslo Philharmonic.