New BIS releases

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
Rach3
Posts: 3484
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

New BIS releases

Post by Rach3 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:25 am

FYI. I have heard neither, but find all the artists usually excellent.

Alexandre Kantorow plays Brahms, Bartók & Liszt
BIS-2380 | SACD EAN 7318599923802 TT: 66'28
The winner of the 2019 Tchaikovsky competition in recital
Johannes Brahms: Rhapsody No.1 in B minor, Op.79 No.1; Piano Sonata No 2 in F sharp minor, Op 2
Béla Bartók: Rhapsody, Op.1
Franz Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody No.11 (1847)
Alexandre Kantorow, piano
Diapason d'Or ~ Choc de Classica ~ Le Choix de France Musique


Beethoven – Violin Sonatas, Vol.1
BIS-2517 | SACD EAN 7318599925172 TT: 73'12
A Beethoven dream team begins a survey of the violin sonatas
Violin Sonata No.1 in D major, Op.12 No.1
Violin Sonata No.2 in A major, Op.12 No.2
Violin Sonata No.3 in E flat major, Op.12 No.3
Violin Sonata No.4 in A minor, Op.23

Frank Peter Zimmermann, violin; Martin Helmschen,piano

maestrob
Posts: 10699
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by maestrob » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:48 am

Rach3 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:25 am
FYI. I have heard neither, but find all the artists usually excellent.

Alexandre Kantorow plays Brahms, Bartók & Liszt
BIS-2380 | SACD EAN 7318599923802 TT: 66'28
The winner of the 2019 Tchaikovsky competition in recital
Johannes Brahms: Rhapsody No.1 in B minor, Op.79 No.1; Piano Sonata No 2 in F sharp minor, Op 2
Béla Bartók: Rhapsody, Op.1
Franz Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody No.11 (1847)
Alexandre Kantorow, piano
Diapason d'Or ~ Choc de Classica ~ Le Choix de France Musique


Beethoven – Violin Sonatas, Vol.1
BIS-2517 | SACD EAN 7318599925172 TT: 73'12
A Beethoven dream team begins a survey of the violin sonatas
Violin Sonata No.1 in D major, Op.12 No.1
Violin Sonata No.2 in A major, Op.12 No.2
Violin Sonata No.3 in E flat major, Op.12 No.3
Violin Sonata No.4 in A minor, Op.23

Frank Peter Zimmermann, violin; Martin Helmschen,piano
Thanks for the alert, Rach3! The piano disc by Kantorow is available on amazon for free listening, so I'll try that soon.

slofstra
Posts: 9199
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: New BIS releases

Post by slofstra » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:36 am

You will enjoy this wide ranging interview with Frank Peter Zimmerman, I think. He talks about the masters and how they influenced him as a child, about performance approaches to the Beethoven VC, which he has played 300 times, and sundry other matters that are all interesting.

He mentions the Beethoven VS recordings and I'm sold on that one. BIS is a signature of top recording quality also.

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/interview/52517-4

maestrob
Posts: 10699
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by maestrob » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:56 am

slofstra wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:36 am
You will enjoy this wide ranging interview with Frank Peter Zimmerman, I think. He talks about the masters and how they influenced him as a child, about performance approaches to the Beethoven VC, which he has played 300 times, and sundry other matters that are all interesting.

He mentions the Beethoven VS recordings and I'm sold on that one. BIS is a signature of top recording quality also.

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/interview/52517-4
As of now, my personal favorite in the Beethoven Sonatas involves Martha Argerich (again!) with Gidon Kremer, which I have as part of her complete DGG Box. Another set, equally good, is with Henryk Szeryng. Isaac Stern is rather bland in comparison, IMHO. A version I haven't yet heard is by Isabelle Faust/Alexander Melnikov, which has been widely praised.

Rach3
Posts: 3484
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by Rach3 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:16 am

The Zimmermann - Helmschen new BIS cd of Beethoven Violin Sonatas Nos.1-4 is now available for free listening,entire cd, here:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/frank-pete ... in-sonatas

barney
Posts: 5552
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: New BIS releases

Post by barney » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Arthur Grumiaux remains my favourite in the Beethoven sonatas. Wonderful purity of tone and musical shape, great partnership with Clara Haskil.
David Oistrak with Oborin is similar. Agree also about Kremer/Argerich. I also have Perlman/Ashkenazy and Grumiaux/Arrau, though I can't remember if the latter is all the sonatas. In any case, I prefer Haskil here.

maestrob
Posts: 10699
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by maestrob » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:36 pm

barney wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:25 pm
Arthur Grumiaux remains my favourite in the Beethoven sonatas. Wonderful purity of tone and musical shape, great partnership with Clara Haskil.
David Oistrak with Oborin is similar. Agree also about Kremer/Argerich. I also have Perlman/Ashkenazy and Grumiaux/Arrau, though I can't remember if the latter is all the sonatas. In any case, I prefer Haskil here.
Grumiaux/Haskil, a partnership made in heaven to be sure! Truthfully, I haven't heard those, and must acquire them. Thanks for the suggestion, Barney! :) I see that I can hear them on amazon, so will do so posthaste! One reviewer suggested that the violin/piano balance puts the piano too far in the background, as they were recorded in 1956/7, but these are still a must-have for me.

Image

Or, if you don't mind not having the original album covers, try this bargain 10CD set instead:

Image

barney
Posts: 5552
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: New BIS releases

Post by barney » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:02 pm

I think I have pretty much everything Grumiaux committed to disk, Brian. Might be a few performances I haven't got. Beautiful player and man of immense moral courage who risked his life defying the Nazis.

Holden Fourth
Posts: 1630
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:47 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by Holden Fourth » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:03 am

I have the Grumiaux/Haskil - it's a great recording of the LvB VS and is on one of the USBs that I play in my car. I haven't been aware of the supposedly recessed piano so I might go back and listen to see if it's really an issue.

One other set recommended to me which I've never heard is Francescatti/Casadesus.

Rach3
Posts: 3484
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by Rach3 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:29 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:03 am
One other set recommended to me which I've never heard is Francescatti/Casadesus.
I do not have the entire F/C set, just one lp pairing the "Spring" and "Kreutzer" . Their "Spring" is marvelous, one of the best I've heard.

maestrob
Posts: 10699
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by maestrob » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:40 am

barney wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:25 pm
Arthur Grumiaux remains my favourite in the Beethoven sonatas. Wonderful purity of tone and musical shape, great partnership with Clara Haskil.
David Oistrak with Oborin is similar. Agree also about Kremer/Argerich. I also have Perlman/Ashkenazy and Grumiaux/Arrau, though I can't remember if the latter is all the sonatas. In any case, I prefer Haskil here.
Forgot to mention yesterday that I have had Grumiaux's magical recordings of the Mozart Violin Concertos and other shorter gems with Colin Davis and Raymond Leppard for years, and have loved them since I first acquired them. Had them on LP since the 1960's and replaced them with CDs when they were finally issued in the 1990's. They have never TMK been out of print. Stunningly beautiful playing! Also, I agree with you about the Beethoven Sonatas with Oistrakh and Oborin, which I also have in a complete box set.

maestrob
Posts: 10699
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by maestrob » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:51 am

Frank Peter Zimmermann is no spring chicken. He began his recording career with EMI in the days of vinyl past, continued with Hanssler Classic, Sony, and now with Bis. This, I believe, is his first foray into the Beethoven Sonatas, and I sincerely hope that he records all of them. Pianist Martin Helmchen makes a fine, sensitive partner in this well-recorded new release. Thanks, rach3 for bringing such a sensitively played disc to our attention! :)

Zimmermann is a recent discovery for me: I fell in love with his Sony recording of Britten & Szymanowski about five years ago, and have followed him ever since. His 2018 Bach Concertos recording on Hanssler is a must-have as well. A great violinist, for sure!

Image

Rach3
Posts: 3484
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by Rach3 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:14 am

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:16 am
The Zimmermann - Helmschen new BIS cd of Beethoven Violin Sonatas Nos.1-4 is now available for free listening,entire cd, here:
https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/frank-pete ... in-sonatas
Their entire second BIS cd volume,Sonatas 5-7 now available for free listening at Radio 4. I have not heard any, yet:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/beethoven- ... atas-vol-2

maestrob
Posts: 10699
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by maestrob » Mon May 03, 2021 11:32 am

Rach3 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:14 am
Rach3 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:16 am
The Zimmermann - Helmschen new BIS cd of Beethoven Violin Sonatas Nos.1-4 is now available for free listening,entire cd, here:
https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/frank-pete ... in-sonatas
Their entire second BIS cd volume,Sonatas 5-7 now available for free listening at Radio 4. I have not heard any, yet:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/cds/beethoven- ... atas-vol-2
So much music, so little time!

I must get to these as well.

My two favorite sets are both mono, those with Grumiaux/Haskil and Francescatti/Robert Casadesus. Szerymng's wonderful stereo cycle is high on my list as well. Isaac Stern by contrast, I find quite bland. YMMV!

There is a new generation of string players making recordings now that have a marvelous sensitivity and depth to their technique. They have an ability to add new and previously unheard depths to their interpretations with subtle dynamic shifts and bowings that add even greater nuance beyond the capabilities of previous generations, and I find their insights a wonder to behold. Not to mention those who play in HIP-style, such as the recent set of Mozart Concerti I recently reviewed here by Christoph Kontz: http://classicalmusicguide.com/viewtopi ... os#p508891 . Their confidence and ease leave me breathless with wonder.

It's a privilege to hear them.

maestrob
Posts: 10699
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by maestrob » Tue May 04, 2021 2:05 pm

Listened to Volume II of the Zimmermann Beethoven Sonatas today. These are very fine interpretations for sure, and nicely recorded with a very natural sound.

DGG is promoting these pictured below, so I must hear them as well as I consider whether to buy a fourth set to supplement those by Grumiaux, Francescatti (both mono), Stern and Kremer/Argerich (stereo).

I'm sure glad I heard Zimmermann, an excellent artist that I follow. Thanks, Rach3!

Rach3
Posts: 3484
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by Rach3 » Tue May 04, 2021 2:35 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:05 pm
I'm sure glad I heard Zimmermann, an excellent artist that I follow. Thanks, Rach3!

You are most welcome, it is a group effort here. I lucked out as # 7 is my fav of the whole set, and I love Francescatti/Casadesus in #5 as well, the opening bars magical.

maestrob
Posts: 10699
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: New BIS releases

Post by maestrob » Wed May 05, 2021 7:26 am

maestrob wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:05 pm
Listened to Volume II of the Zimmermann Beethoven Sonatas today. These are very fine interpretations for sure, and nicely recorded with a very natural sound.

DGG is promoting these pictured below, so I must hear them as well as I consider whether to buy a fourth set to supplement those by Grumiaux, Francescatti (both mono), Stern and Kremer/Argerich (stereo).

I'm sure glad I heard Zimmermann, an excellent artist that I follow. Thanks, Rach3!
Looks like the picture I wanted to post never happened yesterday, so here it is today! :oops:

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests