"Delicious" comment

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
Rach3
Posts: 3484
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

"Delicious" comment

Post by Rach3 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:55 am

Pianist Steven Osborne, on trying to put together a chamber recital containing both Beethoven and Ravel on the programme, said he tried and thinks perhaps there is a way he could not find, but for him Beethoven and Ravel together would have been "horrible " , like " putting chocolate on your steak."

About 50:00 in here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000v8qc

From BBC: " In March, the acclaimed Scottish pianist with a worldwide reputation celebrated his birthday( 50th) in the company of a distinguished line-up of musical friends and two of his favourite composers."

Recorded at Wigmore Hall and introduced by Kate Molleson.

Schubert: The Shepherd on the Rock D965
Ailish Tynan (soprano)
Jean Johnson (clarinet)
Steven Osborne (piano)

Fantasy in F minor D940
Steven Osborne & Paul Lewis (piano)

Interval, including Aaron Jay Kernis: Musica Celestis

Ravel: La vallée des cloches (Miroirs)
Steven Osborne (piano)

Piano Trio in A minor
Alina Ibragimova (violin)
Bjørg Lewis (cello)
Steven Osborne (piano)

maestrob
Posts: 10698
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: "Delicious" comment

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:33 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:55 am
Pianist Steven Osborne, on trying to put together a chamber recital containing both Beethoven and Ravel on the programme, said he tried and thinks perhaps there is a way he could not find, but for him Beethoven and Ravel together would have been "horrible " , like " putting chocolate on your steak."

About 50:00 in here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000v8qc

From BBC: " In March, the acclaimed Scottish pianist with a worldwide reputation celebrated his birthday( 50th) in the company of a distinguished line-up of musical friends and two of his favourite composers."

Recorded at Wigmore Hall and introduced by Kate Molleson.

Schubert: The Shepherd on the Rock D965
Ailish Tynan (soprano)
Jean Johnson (clarinet)
Steven Osborne (piano)

Fantasy in F minor D940
Steven Osborne & Paul Lewis (piano)

Interval, including Aaron Jay Kernis: Musica Celestis

Ravel: La vallée des cloches (Miroirs)
Steven Osborne (piano)

Piano Trio in A minor
Alina Ibragimova (violin)
Bjørg Lewis (cello)
Steven Osborne (piano)

I'm a fan of Ibragimova's so it was good to hear her with Osborne together. Don't know the cellist, but he was OK in the Ravel.

Good concert, especially in the Schubert with Paul Lewis. Many thanks, Rach3!

Rach3
Posts: 3484
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: "Delicious" comment

Post by Rach3 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:42 pm

I forgot to mention the clarinetist is Osborne's wife. I,too,am a fan of Ibragimova , as well as Osborne, Paul Lewis not as much.

barney
Posts: 5552
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: "Delicious" comment

Post by barney » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:33 am

I really like Paul Lewis. Will listen to this soon.

mikealdren
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:40 am

Re: "Delicious" comment

Post by mikealdren » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:29 am

Bjørg Lewis is Paul's wife and, amongst other things, also the cellist in the Vertavo quartet.

Rach3
Posts: 3484
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: "Delicious" comment

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:00 am

mikealdren wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:29 am
Bjørg Lewis is Paul's wife and, amongst other things, also the cellist in the Vertavo quartet.
Thanks. I had found the reference to her quartet , but not to Paul Lewis.

maestrob
Posts: 10698
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: "Delicious" comment

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:49 am

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:42 pm
I forgot to mention the clarinetist is Osborne's wife. I,too,am a fan of Ibragimova , as well as Osborne, Paul Lewis not as much.
What is it about Paul Lewis that you're not keen on?

I've got some problems with his hastily-recorded Beethoven Sonatas cycle, but everything else I've heard from him, especially the Beethoven Concertos, has been really fine.

I do wish he hadn't been learning the sonatas as he was recording them. Some of those were recorded before Lewis had worked out the technical problems, and that shows in his awkward playing. Not a set I'd recommend at all, but then I'm critical of Kempff's stereo box for DGG as well.

Rach3
Posts: 3484
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: "Delicious" comment

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:57 pm

maestrob wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:49 am
What is it about Paul Lewis that you're not keen on?

While Lewis’ playing is meticulous, and sincere, I usually do not find it very interesting or inspiring. Too many pianists try to be “ original” without true conviction , especially in oft played works, and such affected playing is tiresome or artificial.Lewis does not make that mistake, but perhaps he needs to give freer rein to his emotions and the moment's inspiration rather than trying to achieve perfection. I’d usually rather listen to some of Kempff or some of early Brendel instead. Of cousre, very subjective, just my ears, and I have not heard close to all Lewis’ playing or recordings.

Rach3
Posts: 3484
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Re: "Delicious" comment

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:02 pm

More from Steven Osborne, a Library of Congress sponsored recent recital,March ,2021 perhaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh77vIgZsZI Live good quality video, 1:20:00

Introductions to all works by Osborne.He leaves the Steinway D lid down for the Debussy.

Remarkable playing.

Debussy: Suite bergamasque
Debussy: Image oubliées
Rachmaninoff: Prelude in D minor (op. posth.)

Rachmaninoff: Fragments

Rachmaninoff: Oriental Sketch
Rachmaninoff/Osborne: Nunc dimittis from the All-Night Vigil, op. 37

Rachmaninoff: Piano Sonata no. 1 in D minor, op. 28 ( Music for our time, per Osborne )

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests