Turkish Pianist Idil Biret Plays Brahms

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Turkish Pianist Idil Biret Plays Brahms

Post by maestrob » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:32 am

Pianist Idil Biret began her recording career soon after the end of WWII, but has not risen to the prominence that she undoubtedly deserves, much like Guiomar Novaes. I first became aware of Biret's remarkable artistry about 35 years ago from two budget label (Priceless) releases of Schubert and Wagner transcriptions by Liszt. Her easy technical mastery of these difficult recitals coupled with an open and warm sound sold me immediately on her as a quality artist, and I have collected many of her Naxos recordings since. She just released Volume 20 in her Beethoven cycle for Naxos last year. The 16CD box pictured above has recently become available, and based on the high quality of her other releases, I plan of buying it.

Is anyone else here a fan of Idil Biret?

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Turkish Pianist Idil Biret Plays Brahms

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:19 pm

Yes, a great admirer of Idil Biret. Have three of those Price-Less CDs (Schubert, Wagner, Ravel), a Danacord, an IBA, EMI/IBA, a Marco Polo, and a number of her Naxos releases. I never got "everything," as I would with other pianists, but acquired those that were of major interest to me.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:35 am

I heard her live in 1984: Beethoven sonatas 7 and 32, Debussy Images, Book 1, Rachmaninov Variations on a Theme of Corelli. I have several CDs. Wonderful pianist.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:23 am

Interesting that there's not much response here to pianist Idil Biret!

A few years ago, Naxos assembled a limited edition of her entire recorded out put, including 4 DVDs and 130 (!) CDs, starting in 1959, including many previously unreleased. That set is now offered for $300+ when you can find a copy. I imagine that she may be more popular in Europe, as I've not heard her here. The Beethoven I've heard so far has all been excellent, so I'm planning on ordering her Brahms as well. Now 75, she has had a distinguished career, something which Guiomar Novaes also achieved (Her Carnegie Hall appearances were inevitably sold out, but I was too young to travel to NYC in the 1960's when she would play an annual concert there to hear her.).

https://www.nytimes.com/1957/11/29/arch ... umann.html

https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesm ... issue.html

Idil Biret recently celebrated her 75th birthday in Istanbul with this concert in 2016:

https://www.borusansanat.com/en/perform ... rthday_74/

I plan on ordering her complete Brahms (pictured above) next month. The entire set is now available on Spotify for those who might care to dip into the contents.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:39 pm

I couldn't remember hearing any of Ms. Biret's recordings, but it turns out I have three of her Naxos CDs (two of which are music of Brahms and the other containing the three sonatas of Pierre Boulez--I must have been feeling adventurous on that trip to Rose Records :-) ).

I listened to the Brahms disc that contained the Piano Sonata No. 3 and the Four Ballades, Op. 10. I didn't enjoy the sound produced by her piano in the sonata. The bass end was rich and quite lovely sounding, but the mid and upper notes were aggressive and spiky and lacking any tonal richness. Ms. Biret studied with Wilhelm Kempff and the spikiness reminded me of a quality I heard in his stereo Beethoven cycle that I didn't like (she also studied with Alfred Cortot--what a contrast from Kempff). Not much in the way of Romantic expressiveness or structural shape and the performance didn't gel for me.

The Ballades were recorded with the piano a bit ore distant, but better balanced sound and gave the readings an introspective feel. The Ballades have passages that evoke the sounds of the Op. 117-119 pieces, although Brahms was a very young man when he composed them (early 20s).

John

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:11 pm

CharmNewton wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:39 pm
I couldn't remember hearing any of Ms. Biret's recordings, but it turns out I have three of her Naxos CDs (two of which are music of Brahms and the other containing the three sonatas of Pierre Boulez--I must have been feeling adventurous on that trip to Rose Records :-) ).
I have that Biret Boulez Naxos cd as well, the only recording of hers I have.What possessed me I no longer recall. Can you imagine ending a recital with that 2nd Sonata ?! Pollini did in 2007.From the NYT:

By Allan Kozinn
May 1, 2007

The degree to which structure and symmetry matter to the pianist Maurizio Pollini is evident in the two programs he assembled for his Carnegie Hall recitals this season. The first, on Sunday afternoon, balanced two standard repertory composers, Chopin and Debussy, against a modernist, Pierre Boulez. The second, scheduled for May 12, is built similarly, with Beethoven and Schumann from the standard canon, and Karlheinz Stockhausen as the contemporary voice. The composers on the first program all worked in Paris, although one (Chopin) was an immigrant. On the second, the composers are all German, although one (Beethoven) moved to Vienna.

Not surprisingly, Mr. Pollini’s program on Sunday offered internal structural niceties as well: most striking, a sense of expansion in dynamics, textures and harmonic complication. He played the opening Chopin group as a gradual crescendo that began with a whispered rendering of the C sharp minor Prelude (Op. 45) and grew more assertive through the Ballade No. 2 and two Nocturnes (Op. 27, Nos. 1 and 2). By the time he finished the C sharp minor Scherzo (Op. 39) and headed into the A flat Polonaise (Op. 43), he was at full power, producing his richest and sometimes steeliest sound.

Perhaps more to the point, Mr. Pollini’s path from the prelude to the polonaise also took the listener from simple, direct readings in which a melody line rang out over accompaniment figures to a rich-hued pianism in which textures were thick but transparent, and in which the tyranny of the bar line was swept aside in favor of a rubato driven by the passions.

Six works from Debussy’s Études, Book 2, let Mr. Pollini push the harmonic clock forward to lay the groundwork for the Boulez Sonata No. 2. If Mr. Pollini’s readings of Debussy were sometimes drier and more analytical, the sheer power and virtuosity he brought to these studies generally matched that of his Chopin playing.

And then there was the Boulez, a four-movement monster of a work that is said to be modeled on Beethoven’s “Hammerklavier” Sonata but moves so far afield that likenesses are hard to find without poring over the score in search of them. Links to Debussy are clearer: Mr. Boulez’s lines hop around the keyboard with a vigorous pointillism that recalls that of the Debussy études.

In Mr. Pollini’s muscular reading, the work had much of the drama of Chopin as well. And the suddenly gentle writing of the final bars brought the recital back to the delicacy of the opening Chopin prelude.

You might think that a program ending with the intensity of the Boulez Sonata would need to go no further, but Mr. Pollini played half an hour of encores. Particularly striking were a grandly phrased account of Debussy’s “Cathédrale Engloutie” and a graceful reading of Chopin’s “Raindrop” Prelude.

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:56 pm

I remember her playing some remarkable recitals at IKIF 15 or 20 years ago.
Donald Isler

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:13 am

I listened to her Brahms I yesterday. The first movement was a bit under-energized by Antoni Wit, her conductor, but the other two were quite well done. She's not Rubinstein, but she has the sheer stamina to convey the necessary gravitas of that monster (23') first movement. Her career seems to have been centered around her native Turkey as her home base, and why not? Certainly, her 19CD Beethoven box (including a DVD of the concert versions of Concertos II, III, IV & V) will provide some interesting listening.

Her studies in Germany remind me of pianists John Lill and Eric Heidsieck, both of distinguished but minor careers compared to Kempff's international reputation, yet his students were lionized in their home countries and made wonderful CDs of the Beethoven 32 (Lill OOP at the moment, while Heidsieck's have finally been issued in an Erato box of his complete output that has been discussed extensively in other threads here). Lill actually got the chance to record the Beethoven Concerto cycle twice, IIRC. Both excellent. His Bagatelles are each individual gems, and can be had on a single CD at the moment, although I have them as fillers for his first concerto cycle, recorded with Walter Weller.