A glorious piano duo: Uriarte & Mrongovius

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

A glorious piano duo: Uriarte & Mrongovius

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:02 pm

Here a magnificent piano duo that was more or less (less) unknown to me. And it is fascinating to make discoveries of these artists with each passing day. This is the Duo Uriarte Mrongovius piano duo. And I am hearing now a Hanssler Profil CD [05027] of Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances, Op. 45, Piano Suite #1 in G Minor, Op. 5, and Piano Suite #2 in C, Op. 17. The pianists are Begonia Uriarte and Karl-Hermann Mrongovius, and if two pianists every breathed together in every phrase not to mention the precision lf execution of these incredible compositions, you will find it here, with especially fine concert pianos (sound like Hamburg Steinways) and recorded with clarity and proper space for true realism. The pianists have recorded for the Arts label and so far, I've found nothing but jewels among them.

For example:
Arts 47552: Soler (which I've mentioned on another thread hereon)
Arts 47597: Brahms 2 Piano Sonata, Op. 34 (after Piano Quintet), and
____ Schumann's Piano Quintet in E-flat, Op. 44 (for two pianos)
Arts 47621: Mendelssohn: Concertos for 2 Pianos in E (1823); Concerto for
_____Two Pianos in A-flat (1824) w/Bamberg Symphony, Antoni Wit, cond.
Arts 47622: Mendelssohn: Complete music for piano, four-hands, including
____ the Octet and other works for two pianos
Hanssler 05027: Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances, Suites 1 and 2
____as mentioned in the main text, above
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: A glorious piano duo: Uriarte & Mrongovius

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:05 am

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:02 pm
Here a magnificent piano duo that was more or less (less) unknown to me. And it is fascinating to make discoveries of these artists with each passing day. This is the Duo Uriarte Mrongovius piano duo. And I am hearing now a Hanssler Profil CD [05027] of Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances, Op. 45, Piano Suite #1 in G Minor, Op. 5, and Piano Suite #2 in C, Op. 17. The pianists are Begonia Uriarte and Karl-Hermann Mrongovius, and if two pianists every breathed together in every phrase not to mention the precision lf execution of these incredible compositions, you will find it here, with especially fine concert pianos (sound like Hamburg Steinways) and recorded with clarity and proper space for true realism. The pianists have recorded for the Arts label and so far, I've found nothing but jewels among them.

For example:
Good morning, Lance. :D

Found a copy of the Rachmaninoff listed above for $10.50 and ordered it this morning before anyone else could read your post! 😉

The Mendelssohn Concertos are on my playlist for today as well. I do love the Rachmaninoff repertoire, which I have already with Argerich and Freire/Rabinovitch/Economou on three excellent CDs on various labels. Can't wait to hear them all.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:05 pm

Something very odd just happened.

Although Amazon says that I can play the Mendelssohn Concertos for Two Pianos recording, when I clicked on the button to stream it, the disc pictured below came up instead.

This kind of thing has happened before a few times so nothing's perfect.

At any rate, the Bis recording, while about 3 minutes shorter, is quite good. I'll be ordering Uriarte & Mrongovius instead.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:41 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:05 am
Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:02 pm

For example:
Good morning, Lance. :D

Found a copy of the Rachmaninoff listed above for $10.50 and ordered it this morning before anyone else could read your post! 😉

The Mendelssohn Concertos are on my playlist for today as well. I do love the Rachmaninoff repertoire, which I have already with Argerich and Freire/Rabinovitch/Economou on three excellent CDs on various labels. Can't wait to hear them all.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]