Some "new" Sviatoslav Richter!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Some "new" Sviatoslav Richter!

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:54 pm

I've got so much Richter, it's hard to keep up what's what with dates and venues to avoid duplication/triplication, etc. Stradivarius (of Italy) has issued a two-CD set [37179] of live recordings in Athens, Kozani in Greece, and Cosenza in Italy. All recordings were made live in recital in 1993. There are 25 tracks of Grieg's Lyric Pieces from several opus numbers and also 6 Preludes from Debussy's Book II. The recording quality is amazingly lifelike captures beautifully tuned and voiced pianos. Audience "noise" is not very apparent except for exuberant applause, as you would expect. The booklet contains an excellent article about Richter by Umberto Masini with a few obvious misspellings, but understandable nonetheless. The Richter magic continues ...
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Some "new" Sviatoslav Richter!

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:26 am

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:54 pm
I've got so much Richter, it's hard to keep up what's what with dates and venues to avoid duplication/triplication, etc. Stradivarius (of Italy) has issued a two-CD set [37179] of live recordings in Athens, Kozani in Greece, and Cosenza in Italy. All recordings were made live in recital in 1993. There are 25 tracks of Grieg's Lyric Pieces from several opus numbers and also 6 Preludes from Debussy's Book II. The recording quality is amazingly lifelike captures beautifully tuned and voiced pianos. Audience "noise" is not very apparent except for exuberant applause, as you would expect. The booklet contains an excellent article about Richter by Umberto Masini with a few obvious misspellings, but understandable nonetheless. The Richter magic continues ...
Marvelous, Lance! I'll be looking for that one today....

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:31 pm

A look at the massive Richter discography indicates these Grieg Lyric Songs were released by Stradivarius before under a different catalogue number, however, I have never seen it.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:31 pm
A look at the massive Richter discography indicates these Grieg Lyric Songs were released by Stradivarius before under a different catalogue number, however, I have never seen it.
Yes, I was wondering why they weren't released earlier. Now I know they were!