The Taneyev Cousins

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

The Taneyev Cousins

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:24 am

Both Sergei and Alexander Taneyev were noted composers in Russia who died just before the 1917 revolution that brought Lenin to power. Sergei is known to have had a romantic relationship with Tchaikovsky, and was the only musician Tchaikovsky permitted to offer critical advice about his works prior to publication. Sergei also published a massive two-volume tome on counterpoint, and was considered an expert on the subject, having studied the works of J. S. Bach, Palestrina and the Flemish masters.

Alexander, also a member of the nobility, is not very well known outside of Russia. He chose a career in the Civil Service, much like Borodin chose a career in chemistry, yet he is reputed to have kept manuscript paper at his desk where he would jot down musical ideas as they occurred to him while he was working.

The two men were distant cousins.

Listening to a recent recording of Sergei Taneyev's Chamber Music with Piano (pictured below) on the Brilliant label, I began to appreciate his remarkable skill in thematic development as well. The 3CD set is beautifully recorded and played, bringing me closer to a renewed appreciation of this relatively obscure musician through amazon's streaming service. This is rewarding listening. Recommended.

Anyone else here who enjoys Sergei Taneyev's music, other than the well-known work for violin and orchestra, the Suite de Concert?

Rach3

Re: The Taneyev Cousins

Post by Rach3 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:46 am

I enjoy the Op.30 Piano Quintet, have not heard much other of his music.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:46 pm

I have a few other works than his Suite, which you mention. Piano Quintet, Piano Trio (DGG), some recordings on Naxos and Russian Disc. The Brilliant box looks interesting. Taneyev also made a transcription of Tchaikovsky's Symphony #4 for piano four-hands, recorded by Goldstone/Clemmow on Divine Art [25020] which is very interesting.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:11 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:24 am

Sergei Taneyev's
Brian we saw his opera “Oresteia” at Bard and it was discussed on CMG in 2013-here's what I wrote:

First of all the music, the singers, the acting were all wonderful! Act 1 was very effective and dramatic imo even with the different sets of clothing-okay a little gorey. Act 2 was hurt by the setting~too much Russian aristocracy and not enough Greek-Clytemnestra throwing a fire extinguisher at a glass floor and shattering the floor went over the edge-Act 3 was just superb! Overall a positive opera experience! Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:41 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:46 pm
I have a few other works than his Suite, which you mention. Piano Quintet, Piano Trio (DGG), some recordings on Naxos and Russian Disc. The Brilliant box looks interesting. Taneyev also made a transcription of Tchaikovsky's Symphony #4 for piano four-hands, recorded by Goldstone/Clemmow on Divine Art [25020] which is very interesting.
Yes, Lance, Sergei Taneyev was quite the keyboard artist. He became Tchaikovsky's preferred soloist for his Concerto I at the Moscow premiere (December 1875) after the disastrous premiere in St. Petersberg by Gustav Kross three weeks earlier, who simply wasn't up yo the task. Taneyev had been the first Gold Great Prize winner at the Moscow Conservatory, where he studied with no less a pedagogue as Nikolai Rubinstein. Taneyev then went on to premiere Tchaikovsky's Second and Third Piano Concertos, and debuted professionally the year he graduated (1875) playing the Brahms First Concerto.

Taneyev also transcribed the entire Nutcracker ballet for piano, published in 1892. Don't know if that's been recorded, but would love to hear it.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:48 am

lennygoran wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:11 am
maestrob wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:24 am

Sergei Taneyev's
Brian we saw his opera “Oresteia” at Bard and it was discussed on CMG in 2013-here's what I wrote:

First of all the music, the singers, the acting were all wonderful! Act 1 was very effective and dramatic imo even with the different sets of clothing-okay a little gorey. Act 2 was hurt by the setting~too much Russian aristocracy and not enough Greek-Clytemnestra throwing a fire extinguisher at a glass floor and shattering the floor went over the edge-Act 3 was just superb! Overall a positive opera experience! Len
Sounds interesting, Len. I'd love to hear that one someday. I found it on youtube and will hear as much of it as I can today: it's about 2:45 long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6gnEAtsUIs

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:26 am

maestrob wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:48 am

Sounds interesting, Len. I'd love to hear that one someday. I found it on youtube and will hear as much of it as I can today: it's about 2:45 long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6gnEAtsUIs
Brian thanks for pointing out it's on youtube. Regards, Len

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:55 pm

The DG CD of Sergei Taneyev's chamber works , a piano trio and a piano quintet is superb and features an all star group of musicians including Mikhail Pletnev , Lynn Harrell and Vadim Repin et al .

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:51 pm

I got that Brilliant set and listened to CD 1 of the Violin Sonata in A Minor from 1911. The work gets off to a strange and lengthy start until you get to the last two movements. The Piano Trio in D, Op. 22 was much more interesting at least to my ears. I will get into the other works in this set as time allows. Once again, CMG sells records! We are doing our part to keep the industry alive, for sure!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:21 am

Lance wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:51 pm
I got that Brilliant set and listened to CD 1 of the Violin Sonata in A Minor from 1911. The work gets off to a strange and lengthy start until you get to the last two movements. The Piano Trio in D, Op. 22 was much more interesting at least to my ears. I will get into the other works in this set as time allows. Once again, CMG sells records! We are doing our part to keep the industry alive, for sure!
Wonderful, Lance! So glad you enjoyed it.

I just got my copy in the mail yesterday, and plan on hearing it again soon. Amazon's streaming service has introduced me to many fine recordings since I joined, and my shelves are now bulging with stacks of unopened CDs!

We do live in a Golden Age of music, don't we?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat May 01, 2021 2:01 pm

Brian, you know that we lovers of great music have really never had it better. Collecting is an obsession/addiction, but how marvelous it is to be able to pick and choose at any time night or day to feed our ears and minds with so much! The problem, of course, is where to put it all. I cannot imagine living in a NYC apartment with the CDs, LPs, and books I have accumulated over many years. Even a house in suburbia is not large enough sometimes/ It is a good thing that I do not collect grand pianos!!! (Some people think I do, nonetheless.) And my wife? I simply tell her I cannot afford the "essentials" that she needs day-to-day. [On that, I am being facetious, of course.]
maestrob wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:21 am
[... ... ...]
We do live in a Golden Age of music, don't we?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief