Sony's "Beethoven's World" project" continues ...

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Sony's "Beethoven's World" project" continues ...

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:09 pm

Just arrived, a new addition to "Beethoven's World," all of which has been very interesting so far and all with wonderfully fine and recorded performances of much music you might hear so well played as this. Most of us know the other composers associated with Beethoven's life and even he might say he was in "great company!"

Sony 92966, 67'50" contains:
•Beethoven: Violin Concerto in C Major, WoO 5 (1792) with Sarah Christian, violinist
•A. Wranitzky: Concerto for Two Violas in C Major (1805) with Nils Monkemeyer and Teresa Schwamm, violinists
•Reicha: Solo de Cor Alto in G Major for Horn (1823) [World Premiere Recording)
Christof Ess, horn
•Vorisek: Grand Rondeau Concertant for Piano, Violin, Cello, Op. 25 (1820)
Yaara Tal, piano; Sarah Christian, violin; Stephan Koncz, cello

All with the Munich Radio Orchestra
Reinhard Goebel, conductor

All I can say about this as this is hugely worthwhile music and highly sophisticated music that is not all the readily available. I dislike using the word "entertaining," but this is what you will find here as well as illuminating. A wonderful series produced by the German branch of Sony Classical.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Sony's "Beethoven's World" project" continues ...

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:32 am

Lance wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:09 pm
Just arrived, a new addition to "Beethoven's World," all of which has been very interesting so far and all with wonderfully fine and recorded performances of much music you might hear so well played as this. Most of us know the other composers associated with Beethoven's life and even he might say he was in "great company!"

Sony 92966, 67'50" contains:
•Beethoven: Violin Concerto in C Major, WoO 5 (1792) with Sarah Christian, violinist
•A. Wranitzky: Concerto for Two Violas in C Major (1805) with Nils Monkemeyer and Teresa Schwamm, violinists
•Reicha: Solo de Cor Alto in G Major for Horn (1823) [World Premiere Recording)
Christof Ess, horn
•Vorisek: Grand Rondeau Concertant for Piano, Violin, Cello, Op. 25 (1820)
Yaara Tal, piano; Sarah Christian, violin; Stephan Koncz, cello

All with the Munich Radio Orchestra
Reinhard Goebel, conductor

All I can say about this as this is hugely worthwhile music and highly sophisticated music that is not all the readily available. I dislike using the word "entertaining," but this is what you will find here as well as illuminating. A wonderful series produced by the German branch of Sony Classical.
I'm very fond of Vorisek's music, and have these two CDs to recommend, Lance:

Also, I've discovered that pianist Biljana Urban has released two discs of Vorisek's piano music on Grand Piano so far, which I'm tempted to explore.

We've already discussed Czerny at great length in these pages, but I would like to highlight Barry Tuckwell's delightful recording of Czerny's 3 Fantasies for horn and piano on themes by Schubert. These are truly virtuoso arrangements that have not been recorded elsewhere, and the CD makes delightful listening experience if you can still find it at a reasonable price somewhere.