Finally, FINALLY: The Szigeti Boxed Set Arrived!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Finally, FINALLY: The Szigeti Boxed Set Arrived!

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:28 pm

Today in the mail came the 17-CD Sony Classical (Columbias) set arrived. For some reason, I was kind of worried we might see that for production reasons, or whatever. [Now, the only worry is the Rodzinski set to arrive.] The price via Amazon dropped to $47/USD for this set, a savings of $12/USD over their original price.

Once one gets used to Szigeti's wide vibrato, which is discussed within the booklet by Tully Potter, the musicianship is supreme. All the recordings made for Columbia are here. Partnerships include Szell, Ormandy, Walter, Goberman, Stiedry, Casals and others as conductors. Pianists include Bussotti, Horszowski, Foldes, I-Stravinsky, L-Hambro, Joseph Levine, Myra Hess, Istomin, Bartok, Smit, Cowell. Many other illustrious collaborators as well.

In the end of the booklet, there is this note: More Joseph Szigeti recordings made by His Master's Voice in London and Paris or concert broadcasts were released on LP in the U. S. under the Columbia imprint. These recordings were distributed under license and their ownership remains with HMV / Warner Classics; they are therefore not included in this set of Szigeti's complete Columbia Masterworks recordings." Of those "HMV" recordings, in my view, several works are very important: Brahms' Violin Sonata No. 3 in D Minor, Op. 108 with Egon Petri, pianist; Brahms Violin Concerto with the Hallé Orchestra led by Barbirolli; Mozart four violin concertos with Beecham conducting, the Bloch Violin Concerto with Munch conducting. The pieces identified have all been issued on CDs in the EMI days (and may still be available under the Warner logo). It would not surprise me, however, if Warner will come forth with their own edition of Szigeti's complete recordings for HMV in London and Paris to further augment the Szigeti legacy.

One suggestion on a first listening: The Tartini Violin Concerto in D Minor with Szell leading the Columbia Symphony Orchestra ... perhaps my favourite recording introduced to me by old collector friend, Dr. Gary R. Lemco years ago.

In any event, a wonderful collection to have made during the great heyday of many violinists of historical interest. Lovely packaging and notes, an essay by Szigeti about Schubert, and facsimile wallets for the CDs. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: Finally, FINALLY: The Szigeti Boxed Set Arrived!

Post by barney » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:59 pm

I have a reasonable number of Szigeti CDs, including the complete Mozart sonatas, some Bloch and Stravinsky. Must go and remind myself, in view of your remarks, Lance.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Like you, Barney, I, too, have many original LPs and many CDs including the Vanguard Mozart sonatas recordings and any on EMI as well. I always think of his wide vibrato, apparently something from the "Hubay" era, and that sound always perplexed me. But in hearing again these marvelous transfers, I listen with new ears to hear the beauty of his playing, especially with some composers such as Schubert, Tartini, and Baroque-era composers in general. All I can tell you is that I am very happy to have this set, and knowing your likes to some degree, I think you will enjoy it as well.
barney wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:59 pm
I have a reasonable number of Szigeti CDs, including the complete Mozart sonatas, some Bloch and Stravinsky. Must go and remind myself, in view of your remarks, Lance.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat May 01, 2021 8:02 am

What a marvelous box, Lance, from a great artist who was born at the end of the nineteenth century! He made his first recordings at the dawn of the flat disc era in 1903 or so I've read.

I wonder if you have this DVD, made from TV broadcasts in the 1950's and early '60's? It has Tartini's concerto and other gems. I'm planning on getting a copy, along with the box you just received:

Donald Isler

Post by Donald Isler » Sun May 02, 2021 7:52 pm

Video of Joseph Szigeti and Artur Balsam playing the slow movement of the Prokofiev Sonata in D Major for Violin and Piano.
https://youtu.be/3jWSCc3osKc
Donald Isler

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 03, 2021 7:58 am

Donald Isler wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:52 pm
Video of Joseph Szigeti and Artur Balsam playing the slow movement of the Prokofiev Sonata in D Major for Violin and Piano.
https://youtu.be/3jWSCc3osKc
Thanks, Don, for finding that. It was actually that track that compelled me to find and buy the DVD I posted above. :wink:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:40 pm

Among the treasures I am very happy to have available on CD — inasmuch as I had the entire "Casals Festival at Prades" issued by Columbia on LP years ago — recorded in 1952-53, is the works of Schubert and Brahms with pianist (Dame) Myra Hess. How remarkable Hess remains to my years long after her passing. My only wish was that she made many more recordings. These recordings are worth the price of the set alone! My only other thought is to get this while you can. I note the Rodzinski Sony set has jumped up to $100 in this short time since its very late release. The same might happen to the Szigeti set. I must also say, that Szigeti seems to be at his apex in these Casals Festival recordings .. even tone, far less wide vibrato. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:25 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:40 pm
Among the treasures I am very happy to have available on CD — inasmuch as I had the entire "Casals Festival at Prades" issued by Columbia on LP years ago — recorded in 1952-53, is the works of Schubert and Brahms with pianist (Dame) Myra Hess. How remarkable Hess remains to my years long after her passing. My only wish was that she made many more recordings. These recordings are worth the price of the set alone! My only other thought is to get this while you can. I note the Rodzinski Sony set has jumped up to $100 in this short time since its very late release. The same might happen to the Szigeti set. I must also say, that Szigeti seems to be at his apex in these Casals Festival recordings .. even tone, far less wide vibrato. ♫
Lance, I'm sold. Been considering this box, as it's been in my wantlist for some time. I'm expecting delivery tomorrow. Luckily, I did order the Rodzinski Columbia box before it jumped in price, so that's been on my shelves for a while but is as yet unopened. The Scribendum Rodzinski box is also winging its way across the Atlantic as we speak.

At this rate, I'm hard-pressed to think of a major historical musician that's NOT represented in my library at this point, but I'm sure you'll have more than a few ideas in mind for us!

So much music, so little time! :wink:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:26 pm

The Scribendum Rodzinski box was done exceedingly well. I have I enjoyed it since its initial release. Well worth that price, too!
maestrob wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:25 am
Lance, I'm sold. Been considering this box, as it's been in my wantlist for some time. I'm expecting delivery tomorrow. Luckily, I did order the Rodzinski Columbia box before it jumped in price, so that's been on my shelves for a while but is as yet unopened. The Scribendum Rodzinski box is also winging its way across the Atlantic as we speak.
At this rate, I'm hard-pressed to think of a major historical musician that's NOT represented in my library at this point, but I'm sure you'll have more than a few ideas in mind for us!

So much music, so little time! 😉
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief