Sergei Lyapunov's Transcendental Etudes

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Sergei Lyapunov's Transcendental Etudes

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:12 pm

Konstantin Scherbakov’s cd (Marco Polo ? ) of Lyapunov’s 12 Transcendental Etudes,Op.11, audio with score. While I enjoy my Pearl cd of Louis Kentner’s early recording, an edge here, in most cases, to Scherbakov’s for sound,technique and “ musicality” . I dont need 2 , however . No.3 , “ Carillon” my fav of the set. Lyapunov’s are, however, “transcended” by Liszt’s TE’s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs2n9tf7VQU

Vincenzo Maltempo’s set on Piano Classics , based on a hearing of Nos. 3 and 10 only , seems very worthy competition for the Scherbakov set , a little less frenetic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAT933QsVFs&t=3s ( Audio only )

maestrob

Re: Sergei Lyapunov's Transcendental Etudes

Post by maestrob » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:24 pm

I've listened to that inspiring debut Marco Polo recording several times on Amazon, and am glad to see it posted here. Scherbakov has recently redone these on the Steinway label (2019), and it's this recording that I own, as the Marco Polo seems to be available only when used copies pop up here and there:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:21 pm

It is always interesting to hear recordings of the same repertoire by the same artist recorded years a part. I've done this with Kenter's recordings, the 1949 EMI recordings which now appear on Appian [5620], also same on Pearl [0154], and his last traversal on Vox, which came out on CD on Carlton Classics/Turnabout [00362]. With Kentner, I remember preferring the Vox edition more. With Scherbakov, his first session for Marco Polo [223491] seemed to hang together better than his latest efforts on Steinway & Sons [30098]. Another excellent one is provided by Vincenzo Maltempo on Piano Classics [0124], that pianist already making a huge impact with his virtuosity and abilities. And since Lyapunov dedicated his Transcendental Etudes to Franz Liszt, if I had to be on a desert island, it would be the Liszt I would take with me! Still, there are some interesting moments in the Lyapunov.

Brian, did you get the message I sent you on private mail via CMG?
maestrob wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:24 pm
I've listened to that inspiring debut Marco Polo recording several times on Amazon, and am glad to see it posted here. Scherbakov has recently redone these on the Steinway label (2019), and it's this recording that I own, as the Marco Polo seems to be available only when used copies pop up here and there:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:50 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:21 pm
It is always interesting to hear recordings of the same repertoire by the same artist recorded years a part. I've done this with Kenter's recordings, the 1949 EMI recordings which now appear on Appian [5620], also same on Pearl [0154], and his last traversal on Vox, which came out on CD on Carlton Classics/Turnabout [00362]. With Kentner, I remember preferring the Vox edition more. With Scherbakov, his first session for Marco Polo [223491] seemed to hang together better than his latest efforts on Steinway & Sons [30098]. Another excellent one is provided by Vincenzo Maltempo on Piano Classics [0124], that pianist already making a huge impact with his virtuosity and abilities. And since Lyapunov dedicated his Transcendental Etudes to Franz Liszt, if I had to be on a desert island, it would be the Liszt I would take with me! Still, there are some interesting moments in the Lyapunov.

Brian, did you get the message I sent you on private mail via CMG?
maestrob wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:24 pm
Goodness, Lance, I sure did! :D

In fact, I replied twice, the second one has the complete information you asked for. Please let me know if it got lost in transit, and I will re-send.

And yes, I quite agree with you about the two Scherbakov/Lyapumov recordings. His debut set on Marco Polo really is a formidable gem!