Pianist Denis Kozhukhin's Brahms

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Pianist Denis Kozhukhin's Brahms

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:25 pm

Pianist Denis Kozhukin is an artist totally new to me. As I listen to his 2017 Brahms CD on Spotify, which includes the Ballades and fantasies, I'm really taken with his sense of flow, dynamics and many colors. Is anyone else here following him?

Here's his latest Weber CD, now accessible on Amazon;

And here's his rather brief website:

https://deniskozhukhin.com/

stickles

Re: Pianist Denis Kozhukhin's Brahms

Post by stickles » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:02 pm

Kozhukhin is a student of Kirill Gerstein. He came to visit Chicago around 5 years ago and played the Prokofiev Piano Concerto No 2 with the CSO. After that superb performance of technical ferocity, as an encore he played a Scarlatti sonata, which showcased his sensitivity to shapes and timbre. In my opinion, he may surpass this teacher someday. There are a few videos of him playing the Rachmaninoff concertos on youtube to expolore.

Rach3

Re: Pianist Denis Kozhukhin's Brahms

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:32 am

I do follow Kozhukhin, have since he won the Queen Elisabeth of Belgium Competition in 2010.He played the Brahms PC # 2 in the Finals of that Competition. He has become a more interesting pianist as the years have passed.I have no recordings as yet.